Nex ut Immortalis

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Sazabi
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Nex ut Immortalis

Post by Sazabi »

I had that "O this is new and shiny. MUST PLAY." Once I got those SWM parts, Thanks to LactoseTolerant and Droid. At first I didn't like them to much, but as I delve deeper into the shipmaking process, I started to like them, while combing them with the other parts I had. This is the ship that came out of it.

This is my first time making turrets, as well as more than one color on anything, but a theme ship.

I just now noticed that the second rear turret is off center.

And:
In game screenshot
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

It'd be more benificial to post in the same post :P ...

Very intresting mix of SWA and non-SWA sections. However, it's too dark around the back and suffers from section repetition. Depthing is odd in some areas (especially around the edges), and the numerous holes stand out.

However, I can see you're putting alot of effort into this, keep it up! Everyone has humble beginnings (well, maybe except TSA, but that's irrelevant :wink:) . And remember that big does not always equal good.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

I don't think the black is working out. Maybe if there were some sort of gradient between the black and the grey it might work.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

All in all, this isn't terrible. I like the general style (that is, the way it's put together).

Although, the way you've mixed stock and SWA parts is a bit iffy, especially near the front, and painfully so with the weapons on the turrets (for which I recommend downloading/creating some custom weapon sprites).

I agree that it is a bit dark, but the actual colors used are good.

Also, consider using a few different shades of your colors to add a bit more depth.

Tweak it, repost, and good luck. It's a great start.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

*sigh* the only good thing about this ship is getting to see dannys converted sprites. Making the tsa sections so dark you can't see the detail on them is just a waste, plus the classic style blends together better anyway because it isn't shaded. Aside from the engines, there doesn't look to be much thought put into the rest of the design, except to make a large ship. Take it from someone who has struggled to make both ships using very dark sections, and very large ships, when I tell you its a bad idea. Only things that can redeem those types of ships are amazing glows, section work, and general bad ass design. This...well you would be better starting with something 1/4 the size of this.
Sazabi
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sazabi »

LactoseTolerent-Thank you, but what do you mean odd depthing? As in a piece is under a part but then on top of another part that it shouldn't? I honestly didn't even see them all, until I read this, now I see them all. D:

Kiltric-Custom Weapon sprites? How do you mean, I'm assuming getting new weapons for the ship that look like the section sprites? They have those? Coooooool.

TH15-When first I looked at it, I thought the colors where the most beautiful thing ever, now. I have to agree with you.

jwa8402-I have to be honest, I don't usually go into shipmaker with a ship in my head, usually I'll put some pieces down and go from there. I do want to learn how to use glows, I heard that there is a fraxy part file somewhere that includes glows or something of the nature, and I have built some bosses in Fraxy as well.

I don't understand what you mean by the classic style blends together better because it isn't shaded. I assume you mean that you can put a piece of the classic down with another and it match pretty well.

Thank you all. I'm thinking instead of starting off as black as a base color to grey.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ya what I meant is that if you color two 'stock' sections white, the lines will all be white, and the internal space between the lines will all be the same shade of grey. In this way they can be layered over eachother with the lines matching up to give the appearance of larger sections. If you try this with tsa style, where the designer of the sprite shaded the image before it was put into the game, you get up to three shades, that don't work well for overlapping. Until the sprite designers start making any two of their sections compatible with eachother in terms of lining up or being the same shades of grey, this style of ship won't work well in tsa.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

As the wise Arcalane/Cycerin said:
Arcalane wrote:Low alpha, low blur, high spread, at least if I correctly recall what cycerin was saying. Making the blend mode of the sprite additive is a must too.
This for Fraxy sprite glows. Remember to set the effect to Aegis also.

And odd depthing is exactly what you thought it was :wink: .

Life happens.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

What fresh new hell is this, I wonder? I see the potential for improvement and something interesting, but that potential is buried beneath several layers of horrid blocky black sections and my melted eyeballs. Goddamn.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Black is instafail, as is mixing stock weapons with TSA turrets. Stocklike sections on a converted ship might work as translucent parts, maybe, but that's it.
jwa8402 wrote:*sigh* the only good thing about this ship is getting to see dannys converted sprites.
It sucks, but such is the price paid for letting everyone use the parts one designs. I'd rather this than the consequences of disallowing people the use of one's sprites any day of the week. If I see my parts on a piece of shit nubship, big whoop, who cares.

Also, good to see Seraph again, so say we all! :D
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I just realized that it's not pure black!
But it's just as bad.
Sazabi
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sazabi »

What fresh new hell is this, I wonder? I see the potential for improvement and something interesting, but that potential is buried beneath several layers of horrid blocky black sections and my melted eyeballs. Goddamn.
I see what you're talking about. I look at it now and I don't like the black as much.

Black is instafail, as is mixing stock weapons with TSA turrets. Stocklike sections on a converted ship might work as translucent parts, maybe, but that's it.

jwa8402 wrote:
*sigh* the only good thing about this ship is getting to see dannys converted sprites.

It sucks, but such is the price paid for letting everyone use the parts one designs. I'd rather this than the consequences of disallowing people the use of one's sprites any day of the week. If I see my parts on a piece of shit nubship, big whoop, who cares.

Also, good to see Seraph again, so say we all!
Well. I don't have any none stock weapon skins. I've seen some nice looking custom weapon sprites around on some ship designs.

I have to admit, I originally was just going to use the TSA parts(forgive me if its the wrong name. Been frying my brain with Team Fortress 2 the last week), but I found that the part amount wasn't larger enough for my liking had trouble getting the shape I wanted. So I popped open the stock parts.

and theres only one way to get better! Build moar!
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Sazabi wrote:and theres only one way to get better! Take note from others and practice moar!
:wink:

It also helps to draw out a basic outline/internal structure if you're having problems with shape. Or just look around for some inspiration.

Life happens.
Sazabi
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sazabi »

LactoseTolerant wrote:
Sazabi wrote:and theres only one way to get better! Take note from others and practice moar!
:wink:

It also helps to draw out a basic outline/internal structure if you're having problems with shape. Or just look around for some inspiration.

I tend to go into ship maker, put some parts down and go from there, but I might try that. I'm building a ship with just the SWA parts now. Its not black to. Grey and lighter grey. Lighter grey supposing to be parts located higher on the ship.

Also Probably going to build a Racer for luls

Edit: Looks like I'm going to be remaking that new ship I was talking about because I forgot to save it D: