need C&C

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

halofreak759
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

need C&C

Post by halofreak759 »

this is the first ship i posted on the forum.so what do you guys think? Feedbacks needed.
InkFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InkFox »

okay we'll go bad then good:

firstly, I'd suggest section usage that flowed together, you have some sprites that are blocky and mechanical, a few with alien-like spines and others that look like smooth alien hull. I guess the trick everyone who's aspiring to be a top shipbuilder needs to develop a style to work with, which is often the sections that work best with tied to the shapes they work best with.
secondly, the half/half, sw to stock weapons and modules don't really pair well, I'd set the alpha on the thruster to 0, and find sprites for the other two.
and finally, the weapon usage is cluttered, you have weapons on the outside wings and tight to the center, (this is more to personal preference, but:) stick with one type of weaponry for a ship, I always try to use either shell weaponry or energy weaponry on a ships to make it seem like it's manufacturers do have limits in the technology they use and it can help a fleet really come together when you start popping those out (but still, more personal preference).

alright with that out of the way I have to say I'm glad to see more and more people adopting this size, it's perfect for sandbox because it's not too big so you can only have one, but big enough to be seen as a decently sized ship. the colors seem slightly off but with improving on the section organization your coloring placement will become phenomenal.

hope it's helpful, but then again I'm a newb here too ^.^'
have fun
And so I curiously venture into the world of shipbuilding, unsure of what I might find...
halofreak759
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by halofreak759 »

ok i removed the railguns and the stock weapons and modules. the thruster i also the alpha to 0. tried to make the ship less blocky as well. Also i need c&c for this ship. i am trying to go for a mechanical look for this ship.

dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

The first ship is way better now, but I still think the spine doesn't match the rest of the ship.

About the second one: What is it, a spaceship or a spacestation? I can't see what's the front and what the rear. It has too many weps. The spinepart doesn't fit with the rest. I wonder what InkFox has to say about it.
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
InkFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InkFox »

real big improvement;
I'm a big fan on industrial myself; other than kae's mecha2 sections it fits the style perfectly (but then again, I know it's hard to find good industrial center line sections)

I'm not big fan of the almost checkered look of the second one color wise, it seems like there's no background/decal color separation.

you really cleaned up the weapon placement on the first, and the second isn't too bad, only nitpicks are that the angled auto cannon turrets on the stern and center, they're too close to each other to allow for movement; and that the guns on the side platforms seem to restricted (and personally I think they should be the same gun or staggered in 1,2,1 format, not 1,2,1,2; just preference really).

really moving forward though, a little work here and there, throw in some depthing and these ships're ready for combat :)
And so I curiously venture into the world of shipbuilding, unsure of what I might find...
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The coloring is bothersome. Colors aside from gray scale is usually used as highlights, or used in replacement of grayscale. Too much checkering of the colors :? .

Other than that, solid ship. Nothing peculiarly interesting, though.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
halofreak759
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by halofreak759 »

this is the improve version of the ship. but i am clueless about how am i going to color it.

with the 2nd 1 i am trying to go for a smooth alien hull look.