New ship builder, ohnoes!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

The center green section is far too bright. I'd suggest lowering saturation a bit.
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

Had another go at another ship in the meantime. Trying to squeeze into size limitations to keep with the game's balance.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

The Grey Kae Generic Piece at the rear ruins all of the detail just before that section. Its a shame really.
Dat Viymese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Dat Viymese »

Kazutek wrote: Trying to squeeze into size limitations to keep with the game's balance.
Okay the game isn't really the problem as much as your computer the better the computer and graphics card the more ships your game can handle
Okay? :D
Last edited by Dat Viymese on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just Came to enjoy the sites! <(^.^)>

I do have my dignity, its just in a box somewhere in the north atlantic sea...

forums...aren't they lovely?
[quote="inteuniso"] Welcome to the site. We're always glad to have new meat- I mean members.[/quote]
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

Do you know what you're talking about? Because you sound like you don't.
Game maker wasn't made to make this game, or simply, it's not efficient.
Others can explain a lot better than I can.

EDIT: Nice shading, but the front center is a bit crowded. Overall 7.5/10 :)

Edit2, I suck...
Last edited by unsunghero10 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurk more
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

Actually, I think he's talking about the stock game balance. You can usually get much bigger before it starts lagging.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Dat Viymese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Dat Viymese »

inteuniso wrote:Actually, I think he's talking about the stock game balance. You can usually get much bigger before it starts lagging.
Thank you inteuniso for understanding what i am talking about!
the battle ship maker shouldn't lag...at least i think... :?
I just Came to enjoy the sites! <(^.^)>

I do have my dignity, its just in a box somewhere in the north atlantic sea...

forums...aren't they lovely?
[quote="inteuniso"] Welcome to the site. We're always glad to have new meat- I mean members.[/quote]
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

/facepalm
No, Dat Viyamese, I was contradicting you. Not agreeing. No.

To keep this thread from falling off it's rails, the ship is nice and simple, but the coloring scheme makes it look crappy, and the section usage leaves something to be desired.

Although I applaud your idea of sticking to the stock game balance, (if that's what you're actually talking about), it's better to think in the mindset of how you want your ship to look without fitting into any limitations. The greatest things about the best ships is that they aren't limited (usually, often limitations are self-imposed if there are any.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Looks >>>> Balance.
Balance is simply a matter of fiddling with numbers and testing a billion times.
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

I limit myself because my brain basically runs like a 2-stroke engine. Flood the combustion mix with too much fuel and it chokes.

Once I learn enough and start branching out into more prospective design posibilities, I'll do that.

EDIT3: brainfaaart... :oops:
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

Right-o, another attempt. None of these ships meet my stringent requirements (aka fanboi-idolism of many ship makers here, tips and tricks please! :D ) so far, but for a 3rd attempt, I think I did OK...

Learnt from my second ship that some sections may be overused and tried to mix it up. I also went in and designed a sort-of layered bulkhead system underneath what you see in the pic of sections underneath sections. This works well for me as a guide, putting down the rough shape for the ship in progress, then outward with the outer edges, then covering it up going inward and "higher" on the ship. Double benefit is that this ship takes quite a bit longer to take down considering its size, even with HP reduction. Its the fact that there's a lot to chew through that makes this ship rather resilient under fire.

Also, the Metagame rules and regulations were a big part in me deciding how I went about this ship, thinking along the lines of a frigate/destroyer hull, keeping it small and simple, refining my technique.

EDIT: Had a brainwave and tried to make a smaller craft based on that mid-class that I've already pumped out: