Ship feedback?

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

M31
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Ship feedback?

Post by M31 »

(First off, I know there are loooooads of these kinda topics but... :roll:)

'Child of Hyades'

It's my first proper ship using SW parts and it's still quite a WIP. I envisioned the ship to belong to a race of sentients who evolved in a solar environment or something.

Those orangey areas separate from the ship are animated gifs that are supposed to slightly resemble solar prominences. I know its a tad unoriginal shape and colour-wise, but could I have some pointers?

Last edited by M31 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z/a/l/g/o
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

i like your style, but post the download or the gif, i need see the animations :D
Continue making the fleet! :)
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

I love those flame effects. However, you haven't placed your sections very well. They are a bit too jumbled. The arms coming out of the back of the ship are also a bit too thin IMO.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Those flames are awesome! I take it they're doodads? Stern arms are a bit spindly, and the 'red' is a bit pink; maybe try making the hue 5 instead of 0 in the color picker?
M31
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by M31 »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah I guess I could upload it to rapidshare,

btw, those Prominences are very 'beta' and aren't doodads (yet) sadly! :P

EDIT 2 : sorry, forgot to upload the custom sprites, will do so in the morning!
Last edited by M31 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Z/a/l/g/o
M31
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by M31 »

Second one...

Looks infested :wink:

Z/a/l/g/o
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Are the flames animated? If so, gif please.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The first ship has a lot of room for improvement. Don't get me wrong, but it seems like that the flames were there to make up for ship design. There's a lof of interesting patterns you have already, keep it up! Like Danny said, it's very spindly, looks like if it break in half if someone pushed a Cronus into it :wink: .

Second ship is somewhat uninspired, there's not enough open space for those awesome flames to flare out of.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

...SENTIENTS! Has noone noticed? Man that bugs me. A race of crying solarians...
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Those flares could do cool things, I can't wait for them to be released as a pack.

The first ship is neat, the orange-ish sections look almost like muscles on some parts of the ship, the arms to the side are well done but the "hand" things on the end are strange, they don't seem to serve a purpose other than filling up that area. The engines at the rear also look like they don't have the power to move this monstrosity of solar flares and metal.

However the second ship looks like its from an entirely different vein, it almost looks like it has been reinforced post construction, which is a neat look, but the overall ship is too cluttered for those flares to show up well.
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

I do like the concept, and especially the way the second one turned out... but fix the typo.
M31
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by M31 »

I've changed the original quite dramatically. And yes, the circle thing rotates.

It's based on this gif (an atomic model). With its alpha set to zero and an orange fake aegis effect applied to it.

Note: it plays a lot less jerky in bsf.

I think I should extend the exhaust plumes a bit...

Compared to the original design...

aaaand a concept fighter...

what typo?
Z/a/l/g/o
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

M31 wrote:what typo?
I envisioned the ship to belong to a race of sentiments who evolved in a solar environment or something.

Fixed - I envisioned the ship to belong to a race of sentients who evolved in a solar environment or something.
M31
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by M31 »

Jafo wrote:
M31 wrote:what typo?
I envisioned the ship to belong to a race of sentiments who evolved in a solar environment or something.

Fixed - I envisioned the ship to belong to a race of sentients who evolved in a solar environment or something.
Aw crap! Thanks for pointing that out lol, I should proofread more

Pretty funny though...
Z/a/l/g/o
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Heh, have you read Sundiver? This is quite cool, but I hope those flames are animated, otherwise it would be a bit underwhelming.