WIP, need suggestions particularly viz. depth colouring.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

WIP, need suggestions particularly viz. depth colouring.

Post by Duffer Shipyards Plc. »

Well, this is a work in progress. None of the centre has been done yet, which I plan to house the bridge, engines, and a large central cannon.

I am happy with the overall shape the ship is turning into. It may not be the most original thing ever, but at least it isn't a penisbrick.

I do, as you can see, have some issues with depth colouring. It's not something I've ever attempted before, and I just tried to do it in varying shades of dark blue. (The fleet colour).

However, it being a first go and all, I haven't done it that brilliantly. There are 4 shades of blue in there, they're just not altogether obvious.

Any suggestions? Depthing colour suggestions especially. I know it ain't the best (half of a) ship in the world, but I am willing to hear and learn! :cool:
http://societyofduffers.freeforums.org/index.php
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

i'd do it like this, outer hull-darkest,plating-from darkest to lighter(closer to the middle is lighter) and elevated structures like a bridger or maybe a weapons platform are lightest, as they are ''closer'' to the ''camera'' .
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

AlphaDetisMegas wrote:i'd do it like this, outer hull-darkest,plating-from darkest to lighter(closer to the middle is lighter) and elevated structures like a bridger or maybe a weapons platform are lightest, as they are ''closer'' to the ''camera'' .
Thanks! :lol:
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

The deeper something is on your ship, the less bright it will be. Things that are supposed to be underneath something should be darker than what's above it. This isn't really complex, is it?
Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Cycerin wrote:The deeper something is on your ship, the less bright it will be. Things that are supposed to be underneath something should be darker than what's above it. This isn't really complex, is it?
Yes thanks I am aware of that, but it is not always easy to decide what is deeper than what, particularly when you are used to designing ships in 2D.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Well, part of the raw design process of making a ship is to envision it as if it was a 3D structure. That isn't something we can teach you, you just have to get a feel for it.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

hmm i think if you made the outer armor darker, it would be a step toward improvement... Also take that big squarish section and made it lighter, or keep it dark but put a weapon mounting point on that matches the arc sections on the front.