Deus Valde assault titan (Very old ship, does not use SM4)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Deus Valde assault titan (Very old ship, does not use SM4)

Post by Duffer Shipyards Plc. »

Hi all,

I stopped playing Battleships Forever absolutely ages ago, but yesterday I found out about the new features in SM4, and thought I'd give it a go.

This was my favourite ship, back in the day:

I know, it looks pretty crappy compared with the best, but bear in mind that it is literally years old now.

As you can see, I have never been into balance. I think it has something like 60 offensive weapons (all of them beam), 20 flak guns and an absolute ton of impeders. As you can kinda see from the name (assault) it's not really focused on defence capability, almost like a blown-up proteus. However, even though the ship's aesthetics maybe leave a little to be desired ( :cool: ), there is a strange beauty to seeing the lasers in action. They tend to broadside fire left to right, like an old ship of the line.

It's by the far the most powerful ship I ever made way back when, and it beat a fair few ships from the database!

Anyway, I plan to upgrade it to SM4 status. Any tips? I want the overall hull silhouette and firepower to remain unchanged. The two Dieterlings, plus the extreme width making turning easy, mean that the ship's handling is pretty much exactly how I want it to support the rest of my fleet.

Cheers, and sorry for my noobishness, it's been a VERY long time! :)
http://societyofduffers.freeforums.org/index.php
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

It has an interesting base layout, but the amount of weapons and modules kind of block out all the details. Section repetition seems to be an issue too. Try to work with section depth and weapons, it can make the ship a lot less cluttered.

And a great ship needs no weapons :wink:
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah, I seem to recall that I was trying to get a pattern of uniformity going... kinda clinical. My ships tend to be quite chaotic in design, you se! :lol:

One thing though, about the weapons: Surely greater firepower is always of benefit to the ship? All those lasers have their usual damage settings, I guess that if I halved the number of weapons I would need to double the damage?

I'll show you why I don't want to do that:

I think there is a certain majesty to that kind of firepower all being released at the same time, no? :P [/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'll leave it to others to flame you on the ship itself, though since its old theres really no point. I think in terms of function and shape you can certainly update it without the repetition and such. But in the meantime why not practice by building a new proteus?

As for weapons...You have too much of everything. Thats not to say you have too many weapons, but the whole ship is literally covered in aegis and your saying its not a defensive ship? At the VERY least, you could combine some of those lasers into twin beams using new sprites. Even better if you space them slightly or randomly over the hull instead of taking two sections with weapons and copy/pasting. Even for the old shipmaker, thats hardcore repetition laziness. Theres no excuse whatsover to have so many impeders. If you want that effect, edit the settings.

Believe me, I get the urge to make uber ships and spam weaponry, but this weapons layout is the worst I've seen, ever. Not the amount of firepower, just the lack of effort put into it. I say this not to insult your old creation, but in hopes anything new you build won't be a repeat of that. Good luck!
Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

jwa8402 wrote:I'll leave it to others to flame you on the ship itself, though since its old theres really no point. I think in terms of function and shape you can certainly update it without the repetition and such. But in the meantime why not practice by building a new proteus?

As for weapons...You have too much of everything. Thats not to say you have too many weapons, but the whole ship is literally covered in aegis and your saying its not a defensive ship? At the VERY least, you could combine some of those lasers into twin beams using new sprites. Even better if you space them slightly or randomly over the hull instead of taking two sections with weapons and copy/pasting. Even for the old shipmaker, thats hardcore repetition laziness. Theres no excuse whatsover to have so many impeders. If you want that effect, edit the settings.

Believe me, I get the urge to make uber ships and spam weaponry, but this weapons layout is the worst I've seen, ever. Not the amount of firepower, just the lack of effort put into it. I say this not to insult your old creation, but in hopes anything new you build won't be a repeat of that. Good luck!
D'you know the annoying thing? When I made it, I didn't know about copy and paste! Everything was done by hand, it took (from memory) a little over an hour.

Still, at the time I was more interested in dealing death and destruction than in aesthetics. This time, t'will be better!

I'll keep you updated.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
It's old. It's weaponspammy.

No much to comment on.

If you're going bring it up to date, I suggest you take extreme artistic license with it. As in, It'll probably be better off if it doesn't resemble the original so much if at all :wink:
Duffer Shipyards Plc.
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Droid wrote:Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
It's old. It's weaponspammy.

No much to comment on.

If you're going bring it up to date, I suggest you take extreme artistic license with it. As in, It'll probably be better off if it doesn't resemble the original so much if at all :wink:
Fair enough! :lol:

I still like the frontal broadside concept, though.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

The concept is fine.
In fact, a massive flying parabolic/hyperbolic laser array might be pretty awesome looking.