need feedback

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Raul
Captain
Captain

need feedback

Post by Raul »

Whjen I have to go back like five pages to find my last thread its time for a new one! Not sure what this is...Liked the engines but the front feels all wrong. Should I get rid of the outside curves and round nose and contineu building>?

Last edited by Raul on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Yeah, the front feels uninspired compared to the back half of the ship. A mixture of other sections to resemble a curve would compliment it better. Seeing how the front curves in then out is very fluid; it has a lot of room for expansion.

The engines looks like it could push a planet :) , awesome layering.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Interesting ship. I agree with lactose the engines are awesome, them middle one is off on its coloring but still, its the front and the amour curves that you need to redesign.
Just removing the curves on the sides and letting the straight lines that are on top of those curves be the sides would provide a nice looking rear and middle then you only need to fix the nose of the ship.
Jokarun
Commander
Commander

Post by Jokarun »

You managed to create a massive Engine...
This ship should be a sprite for a MASSIVE leviathan...
I don't know about you; But I generally don't store games in RAM.
~~Take a cookie~~
J.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

thanks guys, i started to build a giant leviathon with a few of those as teh engines but then i found a good combination and got this. Tell me what you think. I know its a penis brick still but i wanna bulk it up before I built out.

ignore the shading cuz i have to redo it. it iwll also be quite a bit longer than it is i hope.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The front half of the ship seems a bit cluttered. I would also like to see a bit of color. I actually like the curves of the first ship. Just not the shape they created.
The main thing that bothers me on the new ship is the rectangular shape. Perhaps you could consider a slight torpedo shape?
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

I'm seeing a lot of (interior) right angles in there, but those might be intentional from the ship design so far?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

It doesn't seem like an amasingly interesting ship, but it looks like it'd be highly functionable and easy to repair. I certainly wouldn't call the right angles a bad thing; they make it seem practical. Overall though, it has some nice detail.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Thanks for the comments guys! Gotta say though, I specifically said it was still bricky because i hadn't gotten to the outer shape yet...
@2500st: I'll try to add some actual color but in the meantime: Doodads!

Bovine: your right about there being alot of those. I didnt notice them to be hoenst. I will try to smooth them out a bit.

Note: Still building, will definitly expand forward and im debating giving it wings or at least extended weapon struts. current sprite count at 111.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The glows are clashing each other. The green accents are a nice touch, but the blue seems out of place. Try switching them to a analogous or complementary color scheme?

Mid section feels cluttered.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thats too much gray even for me. Maybe use other colors entirely.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Improvement? Im looking at complementary color schemes for the glows but not sure I want to change the whole ship colors.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Okay the hammerhead is interesting, but its too small compared to the rear end of the ship, bulk it up a bit., the front middle "fat" area looks odd and out of place with the hammerhead there too, so something will need to be modified to make it fit. The "bridge" in the middle is neat but still looks like clutter because of the rest of the sections around it, they over power it a little.

The blue glows still seem odd with the res being orange or yellow, and this ship is starting to feel bland, there is little "life" in it, probably just a lack of coloring, you could try some highly unsaturated colors over it in key areas.

Personally your last alliteration was better, apart from the coloring.
Things are improving, but you have a ways to go before you find the shape that suits those engines.

But then I build little craft, not big beasts, so my appraisal might not be fully justified.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

wip: only about half complete so it will have a more interesting shape. I know the colors are a bit funky but im trying to get some that go together so ill fix the depthing later. Any advice?

Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Solely looking at the shape, I would say is near impossible due to those funky colors.
There is a spec of the Core poking out at the back, and so far it doesn't look like the ship has engines. Hell why not just build a massive single engine out the back rather than the usual two or three. If ya have one primary weapon, one big engine would fit well wouldn't it?
The rear end doesn't fit with the front too well, and the ship requires a bit of work to make it look less jumbled and thrown together.

All I can really suggest is greyscaling the thing, or getting the colorscheme done right to start with. Because it is mighty hard to look at the sections with those colors.