Pseudo-Chainship! New ship starts on page 4.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I will, I want to clean up some the structure that has been added during the last few turns.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Okay, I'm calling this ship, which has been known as PCS### in all its iterations, a failure. Not a spectacular failure like the official chainship, but a failure none-the-less.

I believe these problems have stemmed from people flat out ignoring the work done by those before them, which lead to a sort of... jumbled, incoherent mess. Even I did this, to a degree...

BUT! But, I think it's possible for us to learn from our mistakes. So, all the previous versions of PCS### (which stands for Pseudo-Chain Ship, in case some of you fail at initialisms) are now public domain. Anyone can grab it and mess around with it as much as they want, for whatever purpose they want. If you can take it, fix it up, and make a big, badass spaceship out of it? Awesome. Go for it. Just remember to credit the PCS project. :D

And we, my friends, shall begin work on PCS Mk2. Which we will codename...

Oh...

I don't know...

Fuck it, we'll call it Francis.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Francis001.zip
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

On a scale of one to ten, this idea is fucking awesome. Good job, Anna. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Now, I'm just gonna go on a short tangent here and list some of my intended goals with the Pseudo Chain-Ship project. You don't have to share these goals, and even if you don't, everyone is still welcome to participate, but here are mine:

1) Fun is the primary goal, clearly.

2) Building teamwork skills. Taking something that someone else has built on and adding your additions, while still remaining in-synch with their additions is tricky, and the more you practice at it, the better you'll get. Ideally, if we go through several PCS projects, we should eventually get to a stage where building ships as a group comes quickly, easily, and turns out fantastic ships which none of us could even conceive of, were we on our own.

3) Teaching shipbuilding techniques to newer members. By viewing incremental step-by-step ship construction they can get a feel for how some of the veterans do it, and maybe learn some new tricks. Heck, I might even learn some new tricks.

That's pretty much it. Now, would anyone care to start on Francis?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Anna wrote:2) Building teamwork skills. Taking something that someone else has built on and adding your additions, while still remaining in-synch with their additions is tricky, and the more you practice at it, the better you'll get. Ideally, if we go through several PCS projects, we should eventually get to a stage where building ships as a group comes quickly, easily, and turns out fantastic ships which none of us could even conceive of, were we on our own.
I might add to this that learning to expand on work by other people will make it easier for you to expand on your own designs as well.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Let's see, I'll have a go.

EDIT: Here she is!
Francis-class
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Anna

Post by Anna »

Okay, what made you guys think it'd be a good idea to call it the "FrancisBorn" or the"Francis-class"? Did you completely miss the whole PCS### and Francis### naming scheme? It's simple, it's easy, it allows everyone to keep track of which iteration is which >:| And Francis is a working title, it's not the class of the ship. Jesus, this isn't fucking rocket science guys. C'mon. Stick to the naming scheme to help me keep things in order.

Since Francis seems to be going much better than PCS did, so I though I'd try something a bit different on my turn, adding expanded out bits with no specific filler that connect them to the rest of the ship. Effectively letting someone else decide how they want that to go, while giving something of a definable shape to sort of work towards.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Francis004.zip

Who's next? Come on, step on up! :D
Quality Control Enforcer
Crimsonflame
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Crimsonflame »

I'll go next.

Edit: There we go. 5 sprites added 1 removed.
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Francis-005.rar
Last edited by Crimsonflame on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omegaspace
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Omegaspace »

So i've added a Shield. Using a sector and an aegis deflector.

Can't do a screenshot because i don't have all sprites used for this ship.
Francis-006
Anna

Post by Anna »

Okay, apparently you don't understand the entire point of this ship. By adding the shield you've limited any forward growth potential it has. It's a complete waste of a turn, too. Everyone please ignore Omegaspace's submission.

Omegaspace, newb guy, get some experience with BSF and the community here before participating in a collaborative project like this.
Quality Control Enforcer
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I'd take a turn, but I can't seem to download Francis-005, it keeps giving me some kind of database error.

Anybody else having this problem?
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

AidanAdv wrote:I'd take a turn, but I can't seem to download Francis-005, it keeps giving me some kind of database error.

Anybody else having this problem?
Confirmed. Id like to take a turn after one or two more people. I'm very much liking the concept
Crimsonflame
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Crimsonflame »

Thats odd... I just tried redownloading it and it worked fine.
Edit: Reuploaded the file anyway, did it help?
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Crimsonflame wrote:Thats odd... I just tried redownloading it and it worked fine.
Edit: Reuploaded the file anyway, did it help?
Yeah, it did. I guess the problem was with Filesmelt.

Here it is:

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... cis006.zip