Geotech Stellar Mining Division (inb4 microminer =D)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Geotech Stellar Mining Division (inb4 microminer =D)

Post by vidboi »

big revival here, never got round to posting my limpet miner ship until Anna began working on the same thing, so i thought i might as well gte there first...
inactive...
inactive...
SMscreen04.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 12471 times
...and latched on and leaching
...and latched on and leaching
limpet1.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 12471 times
After seeing the recent work of STARSTRUCK i was inspired to make something more functional than a lump of metal that blows up other lumps of metal...
The Geotech project was first initiated under IFC funding in the year 2167. Taking its roots from the Terran mining and oil industries, the programme began developing technologies for sustainable off-world mining projects on environments such as asteroids and satellites. The project has developed side by side with the military advances of the IFC Weapons Research Division and has created many technologies that are useful in all forms of space faring. The Geotech projects especially have been vital (and continue to be) for colonisation of new planets, and the resources provided have also powered the industrial might of the IFC to its current levels. Virtually an independent company within the IFC organisation, Geotech has been able to grow rapidly and competitively, and if not for IFC regulations would have greatly undermined (excuse the pun) the older extraction industries on Earth and Mars.
Geotech Mk1 Automated Mining Vessel
Geotech Mk1 Automated Mining Vessel
SMscreen021.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
mining1.png
Last edited by vidboi on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Geotech Stellar Mining Division

Post by Anna »

Oh wow! I like it! I'm not so sure about the fuel-rods coming out the side, they seem to be a bit too bright and not quite blendy with the rest of it, or perhaps it's just that the central portion of the hull is far more detailed and cluttery in comparison, but otherwise it's a great little ship. I love the way the little arms unfold so they can laser away at the asteroids! Very cool!

PinkFlowerPrincess approves! (^-^)b
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

why thank you. the fuel rods i made contrasting on purpose, they're meant to be detachable containers for mined materials and not a fixed part of the ship (i might add some colour variations to them to better aid this)
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Are the arm movements triggered by button presses or do they occur in a pattern regardless?
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Quite an interesting design there. The arms are well done, the blend of HorseMonster_Realistic makes it look... well... realistic. The positioning of the arms on the body is somewhat odd, being on the very edge of the miner makes it look more fragile than what would be said of a space miner. I assume the central glowy part is the collection point for broken up asteroids?
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

the arm movement is controlled by driver weapons, so they don't really have a pattern. i just positioned the drivers so that the arms don't go directly to the target

the central part is the collection point, it's a furnace for separating the materials; the doors at the front open when a target is near. the ship in general is quite fragile, but the arms being on the outside does help with practicalities - having them inside would mean less space for storage etc. and these are also meant to be automated drones, so them being damaged isn't too bad. i took the concept from deep-sea repair subs (for oil lines etc.)
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

very cool, good idea i had a similar thing for massive drilling stations that would act as a central rig for these drones, although my drones were far less complex (and cool).

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

quick WIP update:
Geotech Mk1 Repair and Resupply Transport (WIP)
Geotech Mk1 Repair and Resupply Transport (WIP)
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

the new thing is cool, I like the idea of it storing the stuff the others bring in.

What I don't like though is the canister on the other one, it just doesn't fit, even though I know what you were trying to archieve.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

yeah, i've got rid of that now...
an RRT carries out repairs on an AMV while replacing it's collection tanks
an RRT carries out repairs on an AMV while replacing it's collection tanks
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Geotech Stellar Mining Division (inb4 microminer =D)

Post by wingstorm »

Love the designs.

If the Workbee looks like a bee (sortof) Yours look like a scorpion. In fact it looks a lot like some sea scorpions fossils from billions of years ago.

Not much to criticize on. Maybe add a different color/texture for the solar panels on the repair RMT?
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.