~Archalieus Shipyards~ - Rusty

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: ~Archalieus Shipyards~ - Legions of Lyseptis - DL up!

Post by Anna »

Imaillusion wrote:I like the look of these ships, they have this robust feel to them, and they have a good combination of anaesthetics, functionality, and refinement about them which I like
Anaesthetics? Really? They're numbing? :lol: Sorry, just had to poke at that. Knew what you meant though.

Anyway, I figured it was about time I put in a word on these ships. I've been looking in on this thread a lot, and I've never really felt like posting because... well, I'm not sure if it's me being constructive, or me being a nitpicky asshole, but something about your ships really doesn't sit right with me, Lactose.

The depthing of sections in some ways seems inconsistant, and with some of the ships even the textures change drasticly from one area to the next, and I guess I find it kind of off-putting. While the designs of your ships are largely fairly decent, I just feel the execution is slightly lacking. They always have a flat, bland feel to them, but as much as I hate it, I can't think of any advice off the top of my head that could help.

Less dark greys on the Archalieus ships would be kinda nice, really.

Okay, moving on to the new ships now. Things like the Vernire and the Cimera. I hate these quite passionately. Your other ships it was just "something doesn't feel right", but these... are shit. ESPECIALLY the Cimera. What in the hell were you thinking man, melding the DSTech Sections and SWA Uraki style sections, on the same ship, on the same layers? It's... I... there aren't enough words to express how wrong it is. I have to make hand gestures and gesticulate like some kind of wild animal while foaming at the mouth, man.

I...

You made me cry, man. :cry:

The Schineid is much better, in that all the sections fit well together because they're all big chunky boring and bland, and for that matter so is the whole ship. Nothing about it really strikes me as special.

The Myrsidon strikes me as special though. However, I mean special as in... oh screw it, enough of being subtle.lol Anna being subtle.

This thing is hideous, man. You've got lotsa chunky-ass rectangular bits in places and that's not too bad on its own yeah that's okay but then you cover up that with some lame curving bits and then there's the SIDE BITS. THE SIDE BITS THAT LOOK LIKE BIG MALFORMED SATTELITE DISHES STUCK TO A JACK IN THE BOX. WHY!?

It's just awful. Just awful like so much. I'm sorry. While I still didn't love it, I very much prefered your old style. Or perhaps that's just because I couldn't see shit on your old ships because everything was so dark and grey except for the bits which glowed BRIGHT FUCKING YELLOW HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!

Okay endrant.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
AssassinVrxz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by AssassinVrxz »

Anna wrote:
The Myrsidon strikes me as special though. However, I mean special as in... oh screw it, enough of being subtle.lol Anna being subtle.

This thing is hideous, man. You've got lotsa chunky-ass rectangular bits in places and that's not too bad on its own yeah that's okay but then you cover up that with some lame curving bits and then there's the SIDE BITS. THE SIDE BITS THAT LOOK LIKE BIG MALFORMED SATTELITE DISHES STUCK TO A JACK IN THE BOX. WHY!?

It's just awful. Just awful like so much. I'm sorry. While I still didn't love it, I very much prefered your old style. Or perhaps that's just because I couldn't see shit on your old ships because everything was so dark and grey except for the bits which glowed BRIGHT FUCKING YELLOW HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!

Okay endrant.
i agree,
the sides look... like a last minute side thought that took you 30 seconds to make that you made just to post something.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Anna, what's bothering you so much is that these ships have very little flow and in some respects, coherency.

I however have to disagree with you (again) by saying I actually really like these ships. While they aren't aesthetically the best, most seem and look 'functional' (except the satellite dish, just realized it was there, lol) and feel realistic. I mean I can actually visualize these things flying in a 3d space but I can't say that for most of the ships around here. Basically, these things look like they were made for 'battle' than most ships do.

If anyone wishes to spark more flames, drop me a PM instead.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Derail over guys. Back on topic now, plz.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

I only wish I could have typed out this response earlier, but apparently the school filter has labeled you as NSFW :lol: (full score on that too).
Anna wrote:The depthing of sections in some ways seems inconsistant, and with some of the ships even the textures change drasticly from one area to the next, and I guess I find it kind of off-putting. While the designs of your ships are largely fairly decent, I just feel the execution is slightly lacking. They always have a flat, bland feel to them, but as much as I hate it, I can't think of any advice off the top of my head that could help.
I try to balance out the more complex and cluttered sprites (DST and Mecha) with smoother sprites (Stock_sw) so that the overall appearance is less cluttered. Few people have spoken up on this in the past, so I just rolled with it.
Anna wrote: Less dark greys on the Archalieus ships would be kinda nice, really.
I originally had my palette set up on gray scale, starting from 25 Lum and working up in increments of 25. Arcalane had suggested changing my contrast and brightness, so I began to start the grayscale from 50 Lum on later models, and now 75 Lum on the Legions fleet.
Anna wrote: Okay, moving on to the new ships now. Things like the Vernire and the Cimera. I hate these quite passionately. Your other ships it was just "something doesn't feel right", but these... are shit. ESPECIALLY the Cimera. What in the hell were you thinking man, melding the DSTech Sections and SWA Uraki style sections, on the same ship, on the same layers? It's... I... there aren't enough words to express how wrong it is. I have to make hand gestures and gesticulate like some kind of wild animal while foaming at the mouth, man.
I build ships by matching the visible line patterns on the edge and in the center of the sprite. I was trying to get a wing/winglet in place the the Uraki piece seemed to meld well with the circular Uraki piece I was using partially as a gunwale.
Anna wrote: You made me cry, man. :cry:
Uhm... well... sorry...?
Anna wrote:The Myrsidon strikes me as special though. However, I mean special as in... oh screw it, enough of being subtle.lol Anna being subtle.

Curvy bits? As in the Dst-sw139?
Yes, the satellite dishes. I have a horrible time with appendages larger than fuel rods, and the previous iterations of the arms were... eh. The Morello v2 is the only ship I can say for sure that the arms came out okay on. I've been studying many ships from the HS thread and others, but it really hasn't carried me far yet.
Anna wrote: It's just awful. Just awful like so much. I'm sorry. While I still didn't love it, I very much prefered your old style. Or perhaps that's just because I couldn't see shit on your old ships because everything was so dark and grey except for the bits which glowed BRIGHT <snip> YELLOW HELL YEAH <snip>!

Okay endrant.
The Lum. Yeah. Should I start from 50+ and work in smaller increments?

And I can honestly say I appreciated your review. A few of these things were bugging me in the back of my head, but hardly anyone has commented on it, so thanks!
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Baump.

Nemeria

Life happens.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Nice doodad glows/lighting, also fond of how the middle sections were put together

But a question: what are those side sections for, the ones with the lightning-arching doodads on them? They're kinda confusing for the rest of the ship
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

As always, your section work is very nice, and the effects you added are fantastic.

I'm not liking the monochrome but I suppose that's somewhat more about preference than quality, so I won't call that a flaw because you have executed this very well.

I do have a few issues with some of your "ends". The front especially, as well as the struts with the electric doodads seem rather chopped off, like the ship isn't finished. I know this is more or less what your style has been for these ships, but I'm very curious what the rest of the ship that my eye is expecting actually looks like. Again, not necessarily a flaw, but it bothers me to look at what feels like part of a ship.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The hexagonal doodad is rather distracting. This ship is completely monotone so it would be nice if you added a few colors.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Imaillusion wrote:Nice doodad glows/lighting, also fond of how the middle sections were put together

But a question: what are those side sections for, the ones with the lightning-arching doodads on them? They're kinda confusing for the rest of the ship
The side panels were supposed to be some sort of solar panel/electrical grid. Didn't come out as well as I expected.
Kiltric wrote:As always, your section work is very nice, and the effects you added are fantastic.

I'm not liking the monochrome but I suppose that's somewhat more about preference than quality, so I won't call that a flaw because you have executed this very well.
25000st wrote:The hexagonal doodad is rather distracting. This ship is completely monotone so it would be nice if you added a few colors.
The monochrome with white aegis was the color scheme at that time :lol: . I'll be going back to coloring with the next ship.
Kiltric wrote:I do have a few issues with some of your "ends". The front especially, as well as the struts with the electric doodads seem rather chopped off, like the ship isn't finished. I know this is more or less what your style has been for these ships, but I'm very curious what the rest of the ship that my eye is expecting actually looks like. Again, not necessarily a flaw, but it bothers me to look at what feels like part of a ship.
The ship was more or less an experiment to emulate a different style, so I tried experimenting with alot of angles and other features. Probably the best part thta came out of the entire ship was the center section, with HorseMonster's Realistic sprites. The ends were a bit "chopped off", more or less to experiment what it would look like with the rest of the ship. I had alot of trouble with this ship, so i'm probably not going to change it too much. I'll make the .sb4 available shortly for anyone who wants to tinker with it.

The next WIP. More or less intended to be a large battleship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sobovir Battleship

Life happens.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

...Something about the darkened yellow sections/doodads bug me, don't know what it is.

And what's with the middle of the ship, where the dark yellow doodads are? It's like someone took a bite out of it

Apart from all those confusing bits, the ship as a whole is generally well done
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Jokarun
Commander
Commander

Post by Jokarun »

The Sobovir looks like its going to puke any second now to be honest...
I think you should go back to your normal colour schemes, this green doesn't really look good...
I don't know about you; But I generally don't store games in RAM.
~~Take a cookie~~
J.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The sobovir's internal details have no direction of flow resulting in a chaotic look (especially the back-half). The dark yellow isn't working. I'd change the yellow to a more orange-ish color. Your doodading is also over-done. They just take attention away from a focal that isn't really defined when they should really help do the opposite.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

The dull yellows and browns on the Sobovir Battleship aren't working, try a different kind of yellow. Or a different colour entirely if you can't find one.

The brighter, lively yellows are fine for now.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Imaillusion wrote:...Something about the darkened yellow sections/doodads bug me, don't know what it is.

And what's with the middle of the ship, where the dark yellow doodads are? It's like someone took a bite out of it

Apart from all those confusing bits, the ship as a whole is generally well done
Squishy wrote:The dull yellows and browns on the Sobovir Battleship aren't working, try a different kind of yellow. Or a different colour entirely if you can't find one.

The brighter, lively yellows are fine for now.
Jokarun wrote:The Sobovir looks like its going to puke any second now to be honest...
I think you should go back to your normal colour schemes, this green doesn't really look good...
It was intended to be a dark green color, as I was aiming for a camo-style look. It became yellower and yellower as I adjusted the alpha :|. Perhaps I should recolor the entire ship yellow.
25000st wrote:The sobovir's internal details have no direction of flow resulting in a chaotic look (especially the back-half). The dark yellow isn't working. I'd change the yellow to a more orange-ish color. Your doodading is also over-done. They just take attention away from a focal that isn't really defined when they should really help do the opposite.
My recent ships have been a problem child as I've worked on them. Been through a couple dozen iterations before moving on to the next layer >.< . I've been trying to stay away from the orange and try different styles. I never thought that i've overdone the doodading. I'll probably replace some of the static squares with solid stripes. I'll probably edit in the recoloring on this post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life happens.