Chainship project 2: Ship harder

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

So, what exactly should I be judging? making sure each submission is ok?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Basically.

As for this entry, I'm not incredibly keen on it but it's still good enough to qualify. Deltaflayer, your turn.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Okay, Deltaflayer has left the building, by the looks of it.

Raul, your turn instead.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Ah ok, so am i going off the last download posted here or is there another one floating around? And I'm just doing hull and some detailing right?

*edit* wow seriously? Theres a ton of doubled sections...
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

probably caused by somebody using mirror >.> guys, when you're making a chainship, PLEASE don't use the mirror function, as you don't know how the guy before you built the ship, etc. etc.
Just... yeah.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Actually, doubled sections arise from people just not taking care when placing sections. I'd encourage people to use mirror all the could, but seriously, take some care. People have to use what you've made. Remirror if you have to.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

ok well i think i have a bit of time left still but i wanted to throw this out there for criticism while im at night class. Big things i wanna say about this is that i'm not big on insect type ships which this was obviously turning into but i tried to continue that theme. Also section work was rather crappy tbh, mostly randoms piled on to make a shape, so I could only do so much without scrapping the arms and redoing them. Anything that people point out now I will change and anything that they wanna deelte later is fine with me.

I added engines only cuz otherwise it looked like it could be flipped either way cuz tehre was a split nose at eithr end and it was bugging me. I know someone else was gonna do the engines so feel free to replace them.
Hades
Commander
Commander

Post by Hades »

The newest version is very ugly, to be honest. It's jumbled, cluttered, and generally has bad section work. The engines stand out and just don't fit, and the outer-most arms on the front as very ugly and would look better if they weren't there. Generally, the newest version is ugly and generally needs a lot of revision.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

did you even look at the old version? Other than the engines which as i said are placeholders, I didnt actually add much mass to it, just details. Are you saying i should go ahead and change the arms? Cuz I gladly will but didnt want to delete too much of others work.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

I disagree with Hades.

I very much like what you've done with the main body and the forward pincers, which looked rather flimsy before. I'm not sure what Hades is complaining about with section usage in this rendition, as anything that is questionable was already there, and everything you've added looks quite solid.
3D1L<>k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 3D1L<>k »

In my own humble opinion it is looking nice. The way you use the sections with the front arms make them to look like they have "biceps". It will really nice if somebody makes them to move firing in the direction of the enemy. So I like what you did.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Ok, would it look better with or without these? With those removed, I could also shorten the forward arms a bit. Would that make them look less gangly Hades?

Also, I'm perfectly willing to rebuild what I can in the time I have, or to revert entirely, but i won't take the blame for the shoddy section work or overall design. Unless I hear otherwise this will probably be posted late tonight because i'll be in class from 9-8 tomorrow.
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

You are greenlit to remove them, IMO. They don't seem to add much to the ship's aesthetics. You might want to move the middle pair of arms a bit further back, too.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

K heres the download. I'm gonna stop fooling with it and leave the rest of the fixed to those better able to do them. I included the version with and without those forward projections incase its decided to keep them. Let me know if theres any problem with the download and I can post agian.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _and_b.zip

Version without the arms. Only usefulness I foresee is if they were made into weapons.
You were right about moving the middle legs forward.
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

Alright. It's going in a good direction. Swamp Fox, you're up next.

I suggest that the future hull design technicians concentrate on expanding the ship's main body. The front looks ripe for a split-bow design. If you want to do something to the arms, try shortening them a bit and adding to the "hands". Putting bulky nacelles at the end of fragile arms has been pulled off fantastically in the past. And although it's really up to you, flattening the inner surfaces of the "hands" that you build will pretty much Talhydrasify them.

In response to comments about section clutter: I believe the detail team is in charge of fixing section usage. I and I especially will make sure it looks absolutely flawless. The hull design dudes should just focus on completing the ship in general.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]