A Humble New Beginning

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

goduranus
Captain
Captain

A Humble New Beginning

Post by goduranus »

After the turmoil of the communist revolution, the New Eden colony was slow to rebuild its space navy. On the 3rd year after the civil war, a new class of destroyers rose from Grunder Space Yards. The people named them "Discovery".

Discovery Class Destroyer

Weapons:

1x Fast Tracking Anti-fighter Laser Beam
2x Rapid Fire Light Plasma Turrets
2x Laterally Launched Quick Maneuvering Anti-Fighter Missiles
2x Forward Heavy Cannons

Equipment:
Regenerating Shield
2x Main Engines (speed and acceleration)
6x Maneuvering Thrusters (turn rate)

Download can be found here, includes 2 types of fighters for it to to shoot at.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... covery.rar

Made with Kaelis's SW Sections and Blue Echo's Shields.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I would remove the forward gatling blaster. The rear one fits well on the section its on, but the forward one draws the eye away. I like the flow of the light blue sections, but overall the colorscheme is somewhat painful. I think recoloring the stock green to match the shade you used on the 'highest' center sections, and using maybe the gunmetal blue instead of green would improve things. IMO only.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

You should probably try Se7en's SWA-style weapons. They'd probably look better than those darkened gatblasters and that...section you used as turrets.

Default zoom for screenshots please.

Shape is a generic penisbrick. Very phallic especially with the slightly split and rounded forward hull. Would be nice to see something more different but I guess it's pretty standard. Section work isn't particularly special, but at least it isn't a complete mess of rescaled sections and clutter.

Colors aren't too clashing, though the bright green is a little strange. They appear to be team-color though so, I guess that's ok...
Wait who am I kidding. Team coloring only works with neutral ships otherwise you wind up with red on cyan and green, which is atrocious. Either change that cyan to grey and make both shades of green different teamcolor, or...make the whole thing a solid color, hopefully something that isn't so strange. Though that may just be forcing my own preference of color scheme, but I find SWA sections look best in neutral greys with color highlights.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I recommend you use something other than the defualt gatblaster sprite, like a weapon from this thread.

The ship's shape is generic penisbrick and there isn't really anything there new or interesting.

The color scheme is rather bleh, the green doesn't go well with the shades of blue used in the shields and the rest of the ship.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Fiction complaint - you may want to expand your country from just being a single colony to a group of colonies expanding into the inky black.

Just sayin'. :P I always had a problem with your dudes coming from a single world and somehow being able to fight off the space republics of Aralonia and the IVL.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

oh noes. I just made a carrier to launch fighters, a gunboat, and recolored the destroyer, but it looks like my hard drive that the BSF is on crashed, and then the power supply burned out a few minutes later.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The shipgods must be angry, they demand sacrifice!!!

Actually that really sucks, but getting a chance to rebuild a ship from memory usually makes for a cooler ship anyway.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

goduranus. It's nice to see that some things never change. You still can't make a half-decent or interesting looking ship to save your life, though I can't exactly say it's the worst thing here.

Also: Don't zoom in in Shipmaker, dumbfuck. Just don't. There's no motherfucking point.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

Oh comon, look on the bright side!
:P

Penis-brick shapes present small profile and it easier to dodge fire. As it is this ship dodges over 90% of damage in a duel against a similar ship.
A generally smoother surface without wings and protrusion reduces radar-cross-section and make them more stealthy.
Sturdy section placement lets it take a significant licking for its small size and low hp, and keep on ticking.
The number of weapons look like it's possible for a reasonable fire-control system to manage, and is balanced to fight against a variety of targets.

Perhaps Anna just has higher standards for me? I'm flattered. Sure will be more motivated the next time. Might take a long time to reach your expectations though.
Last edited by goduranus on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

He probably has higher standards for you because you've been here long enough to learn

This post is constructive because I still gripe about your fiction and still suggest you expand the scope of your empire. Because, ffs, single planet no. Also, I suggest that you try and expand your territory by expanding into uncontested regions - don't antagonise anyone in your advance. There should be a lot of room around you.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Aralonia wrote:Also, I suggest that you try and expand your territory by expanding into uncontested regions - don't antagonise anyone in your advance. There should be a lot of room around you.
But space is actually flat and 2d!

Silly Ara.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

Hey at least I didn't say "sphere of influence"
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Aralonia wrote:Just sayin'. :P I always had a problem with your dudes coming from a single world and somehow being able to fight off the space republics of Aralonia and the IVL.
Dodge charms.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Its the Barrel Rolls! ;)

That destroyers rather neat, it has a nice shape to it, however the coloring isn't so nice, its too... how do I put it... Green!
This is probably more personal opinion, but I feel that combat ships should have subdued colors, you want the overall look of "I don't care if you mess with my I'll f*#! you up." and Bright green doesn't do that for me, its more like an orc after an evening of hard drinking, hes gone even greener as hes throwing up ;)