Messing around a bit..

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Hege
Commander
Commander

Messing around a bit..

Post by Hege »

So as I'm making that one little section pack I decided to try them out a bit in their current state.. And get little rust off.

Attempt #1;

Little fragile corvette type of a ship, not too fond of it.
Was mostly testing out blending of a few sections with this.

Attempt #2

My personal favorite so far. Lil ol cruiser that seems to work better if it were flipped around.
Was mostly testing combining sections for effects with this (The skulls)

Attempt #3

Something bit bigger, however I kind of quit at this one while I was at it, I'm seriously not happy with this at all. I think I messed up the middle front completely.
This was mostly curve testing when it comes to the wings.

Credit to TBE for the shields.

I'll be posting bit more ships once I get more sections done and finish a few guns. I'll try put bit more effort on the future ships aswell.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/ddoxt0.gif[/img]
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

Overall, they're really good, I think attempt no. 3 can be improved by changing that dark blue color: it doesn't go well. But otherwise they're really good.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Hmm, I did see these sections in the custom content thread, and I really liked them from the get-go. The designs for units you have here are splendid, they look great if you wanted the effect of organic/living metal ships, though the deeper blue colours used in the third ship should be lighter in my humble opinion.

I'm looking forward to a full map-pack there. ^.=.^
firevikin125
Commander
Commander

Post by firevikin125 »

When I first looked at them I said "whoa"...
I love the colors and especially
the over all texture.
They remind me of something
but I can not quite put my finger on it... :?

Anyway, I really like these ships, can't wait
for the rest of the fleet. :)
"A gargoyle's meat can be carved with an ordinary cleaver, but for its petrous hide . . ."
—Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar,
The Underworld Cookbook
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Reminds me of the old DOS SHMUPS with the pre-rendered 3D ships in stunning 16 bit color.

The second one is kinda nice, but I think it would be better turned around (like you said) and filled out more to be more like a manta.

The third one has a good shape, but the dark blue is far too dark in the front sections. The blue used on the engine nacelles (right?) is a good shade, I think.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

These sprites need some refining. The issue is that they're shaded with respect to what appears to be an overhead light source. By themselves, this creates a very 3D appearance. When you put them together into a ship, it just looks bizarre. Some sections are illuminated while others, which should be on top, are in shadow.

The style is also such that they don't do well when cobbled together. SW sprites and even stock sprites, by contrast, can be purposelessly assembled (with varying amounts of success). You need to have a clear image of what your final product will look like, and build sprites specifically for that ship. Making random sections and designing seems to be producing less than stellar results.

There's a lot of potential here, and I look forward to seeing what you can do with this style.