Anna's SW-style ships - Updated 12/14/09

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Silverware wrote:The "Quantum Avenger"

The innermost blue glowy things on the main weapons firing track, is slightly delayed, by about 1 or 2 frames. looks bad if you see the thing lots. Should be simple to fix though.
Don't bother fixing that, it makes the animation look more alive. Animators actually work to incorporate small inconsistencies like these, yanno.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

When your building a state-of-the-art spaceship you want everything to be absolutely perfect down to the millimeter. So inconsistency make things look like they were broken in the construction, rather than being part of the animation due to lack of ability or something.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Visuals > OCD.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Anna wrote: I've noticed that... and while you'd think it would be easy to fix, yes, the reality is somewhat different. I don't know why there is any delay at all, because the rotsection stats are exactly the same. I have no idea how to fix it, honestly, but I'm not too bothered. The difference is small enough.

The numbers may appear the same in SM, but there's got to be some other difference that is not so easily visible (in SM). Maybe try opening up the file in notepad and look for those pieces. I've found that in some cases, there's some small inconsistencies when saving (or compiling to shp format, not sure which).

I'm with silverware on this. It just bugs me for some reason. It doesn't look right (unless you make the other teeth go up in sequence so they're all delayed 1-2 frames from the previous).

One thing you could try: delete the back two teeth, save it, then clone the other teeth and adjust accordingly, and save again. It could be that something just didn't save correctly when you did it the first time.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

The problem, as far as I can see, is that the teeth aren't perfectly lined up. So if the last pair is in a different place in relation to its rotating section, that might be it.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Okay, since some of you won't shut up about this, let me state it plain and clear: I can't believe you OCD motherfuckers are making such a big fucking deal over this. The difference is so tiny that it's hardly fucking noticable. So I'm not even going to expend the effort required to fix it.

Hell, at least one person I know actually thinks it looks better that way, and he's someone whose judgement of shipbuilding matters I trust roughly ten times more than any one of you. It's staying as it is.

End of story.

Final word.

Shut up about it or so help me.

Edit: Make it two people. Not including Cycerin. If you count him, that's three.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I really don't even see what everyone's so worked up over.

Anyhow, this ship reminds me of a Venator from Star Wars somehow, only a lot cooler. That's why if it were my ship, I'd call it Venabulum. It's Latin for "Hunting Spear." [/nerd]
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Anna

Post by Anna »

I still haven't decided on a name for that ship, nor have I finished arming it. In the meantime here's the SW-ized version of the previous fleet I made. Will put up an animated shot showing the Sangreal's transformation in a while.

Should I keep working on this fleet and adding more ships to it, or do you guys want something new?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I think this fleet is pretty well rounded. Even though the split noses are mostly a bit wide and overly prevalent throughout for my taste, they are well done, especially on the Siege Perilous and Clarent. I also like the small ships, mostly the Morgana. I would be interested to see what else you come up with in terms of style, especially if theres any possibility of an enemy for these.

The Sangreal is masterful, I particularly like the glows emanating from the bulges on the middle sides. What bugs me about your style on large ships is that up close alot of the section work is relatively simple looking but then I look at the ship as a whole and its so complex and hard to replicate. Thats meant as a compliment, but I'll also say that the sectionwork on these ships is very clean by any measure but especially compared with some of your older ships when you were working with limited sections.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well, here's the animated Sangreal:

I plan to add more detail and fiddly bits to the transformation sequence. I'll probably have robotic arms and other little bits sliding out, since it it meant to be a mobile shipyard... we'll see.
Quality Control Enforcer
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I really like the shape of the tangreal
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

The almost completely flat inside of the maw of the ship bothers me for some reason. I'd really suggest you do put those robotic arms and such inside it.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Yes.

Add shit into the inside of that thing like the motherfucking fist of the north star. If you think it's getting too cramped to build ships, remember it's in three dimensions, and they can be above and below the construction area.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I think the central spars would look much better if they collapsed in/out after the bay has fully deployed. It'd also help cut down on the overlap (it's barely perceptible, but it's there) when the bay is closed.

Admittedly you would need custom sections and a few extra triggers, but that should be a walk in the park.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

I agree with Arc that something should be done about those straight spars. Tbh they look a bit crap compared to the rest of the ship atm, and the straight lines are a little out of place with the feel of the rest of the design. Perhaps more 'shipyard' stuff would flesh it out, or a better animation for them might help enough.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]