Anna's SW-style ships - Updated 12/14/09

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Anna's SW-style ships - Updated 12/14/09

Post by Anna »

I've been messing around sort of off and on for the last week or so whenever I've been bored, just slowly piecing together a ship. I'll post up all the WIP screens so you can see the evolution of this ship.

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Phase 3:

Phase 4:

Phase 5:

Phase 6:

Phase 7:
Animated gif

Phase 8:
Animated gif

Phase 9:
Animated gif

Still not finished yet. I tried loading it in game and it gave me some errors. Something to do with turrets. Eh, I'll sort it out eventually.
Last edited by Anna on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Splendid!

Since youve made a thread at last, why don't you show your other SW style ships as well?
Blackcilld
Ensign
Ensign

Well done

Post by Blackcilld »

Great!

I like your ships the color fits perfectly.And the Sw style looks great.
Somehow Phase 8 reminds me to my first ship I have built.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I'm not especially pleased with the other SW-style ships I've made. They were largely just practice ships and prototypes. Although the SW-ized version of the Clarent from my previous fleet thread is something I'm rather fond of:

Here's the other things I made, but I'm not especially pleased with them:
This one isn't too bad, but it's just too... bland for me.

Messy. Sloppy. The details feel completely off.

Waaaay too spindly and fragile, with lots of little things that niggle at me..
Last edited by Anna on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Crimsonflame
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Crimsonflame »

Great ship, I love how you show the ship in multiple stages of development. I love everything in the current phase with the exception of the nubs at the middle of the ship, they look a bit awkward before the ship unfolds. Your section usage is amazing, the transition form one section to the next is barely discernible. Lastly, I strongly agree with Kaelis is the 'splendid' department along with the 'more ships' department.

EDIT: It appears that in the time it took me to write that post Anna had already posted more ships.Recently posted ships:

Clarent - This one is really awesome. Perhaps you could convert the rest of its bretheren if you have the time?

2nd ship - I feel that the mecha 08 at the back don't match the rest of the ship, they look unarmored in comparison.

3rd ship - I don't exactly see what you mean about the details being off but you could just cover said sections with turrets/guns. (just a suggestion)

4th ship - You already pointed out to be spindly so i won't do so again. I honestly think it could be much better, all it needs is some nourishment (particularly at the two front prongs) along with some tender love and care. Is the blue on the mecha 46 at the back a bunch of tiny doodads, or...?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Crimsonflame, I'd just like to seriously thank you for providing me with genuine constructive criticism. I think I'll use some of your ideas and revive some of those ships. And yeah... Clarent is my favourite, but I suppose I should convert some of its sister-ships.
Quality Control Enforcer
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

A couple of things. The wings/nacelles in the back could use some engines themselves, otherwise they look rather purposeless. Maybe have the engines appear after full transformation sequence.

Also I'd make that center part in the front a bit more segmented when it slides back, rather then having the whole thing slide back, make it ... fold back or something? I'm not sure what to call it. But one part slides back under another, then that one slides back, under the last one, then that one slides back inside of the ship.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Crimsonflame wrote:I love everything in the current phase with the exception of the nubs at the middle of the ship, they look a bit awkward before the ship unfolds.
Yeah, those little nubs are meant to be observation, recreation and habitat areas. They look a little off to me too, but I really like the way the armor extends over them and they fold back, which is why I kept them.
Crimsonflame wrote:Is the blue on the mecha 46 at the back a bunch of tiny doodads, or...?
Nope. Custom doodad I made. It's animated and pulses out along the lines before fading. I was going to make similar doodads for other areas on the ship with cracks running along it.
Lizzie wrote:A couple of things. The wings/nacelles in the back could use some engines themselves, otherwise they look rather purposeless. Maybe have the engines appear after full transformation sequence.
I had planned on doing something like that, yeah.
Lizzie wrote:Also I'd make that center part in the front a bit more segmented when it slides back, rather then having the whole thing slide back, make it ... fold back or something? I'm not sure what to call it. But one part slides back under another, then that one slides back, under the last one, then that one slides back inside of the ship.
Hm. That's an idea. I might try it out and see how it looks.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Small update:

See if you can spot the changes.
Quality Control Enforcer
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

You removed two guns, made the engine output larger, and made it a bit faster. I know there is something else but I can't spot it. :|
This is nearly as complex as those extending super guns!

Awesome
Lurk more
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

That middle piece retracts differently, sliding into itself instead of everything sliding back at once. :3
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Crimsonflame
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Crimsonflame »

All that^ with the exception of the removal of the two guns, if i'm seeing correctly then they ware replaced rather than removed. It also appears that there are less window doodads at the center and a triangular section(possibly custom) was added to the front. Thats about all i can spot for now.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Crimsonflame wrote:All that^ with the exception of the removal of the two guns, if i'm seeing correctly then they ware replaced rather than removed. It also appears that there are less window doodads at the center and a triangular section(possibly custom) was added to the front. Thats about all i can spot for now.
Those are all the changes. :D That's a keen eye you have there. I was wondering if anyone would notice that custom triangle section, or the reduced number of windows.

Edit: Oh wait. One more change that no-one caught is that the front of the extendo-armor plating at the front flows into the hull properly now.
Quality Control Enforcer
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

This is sick, Anna. Completely amazing.

One question I have. These ships are designed to be small cruisers/destroyers, no? I'd love to see some of your larger battleships made with these--I can't wait to think what turrets would look like in SW style.

One little point: When the front piece retracts, I think it goes a bit too fast. This seems like a medium sized ship--to move so many pieces at such a high speed seems unlikely. But then again, that's just my opinion.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Anna

Post by Anna »

Silver Swordsman wrote:This is sick, Anna. Completely amazing.
Thanks. ^_^
One question I have. These ships are designed to be small cruisers/destroyers, no? I'd love to see some of your larger battleships made with these--I can't wait to think what turrets would look like in SW style.
Honestly, SW-style sections, especially the mecha-sections, are so detailed and flow together so well I don't especially feel the urge to build the massive, ball-smashing battleships I used to. I really only ever made them that large because if they were any smaller then the detail I wanted wouldn't look right.

But still, you never know. I am awfully tempted to make something large enough to mount massive cannons on.
One little point: When the front piece retracts, I think it goes a bit too fast. This seems like a medium sized ship--to move so many pieces at such a high speed seems unlikely. But then again, that's just my opinion.
Hm, that's a good point. I think I might need to slow the retraction down. I'm thinking of spreading out and breaking up the entire transformation sequence anyway, since some people have said that it's too synchronised. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your feedback!
Quality Control Enforcer