Anna's SW-style ships - Updated 12/14/09

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

Also, if you look closely about halfway down the nose, you can see the tip of one of the spars just barely poking out when it closes.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It'd also help cut down on the overlap (it's barely perceptible, but it's there) when the bay is closed.
Read, motherfucker.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Are the tips of those spars supposed to be red? That looks kind of out of place to me. It seems that the bars should appear more continuous when open, and the tips really break that up.

The grey wallish part that's exposed when the maw opens looks like gear teeth, as if the two sides are on tracks and roll as gears turn to drive them apart. Naturally, that drew my eyes to the round pieces towards the rear corners of the two sides, as if those were the great gears. So, with that in mind, I think it would be cool if those round bits rotated as the maw opened.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

thanto_ wrote:Are the tips of those spars supposed to be red? That looks kind of out of place to me. It seems that the bars should appear more continuous when open, and the tips really break that up.
I only noticed this thanks to you mentioning it. It's due to Squishy messing up a bit while making those sprites. He left the sides of them open, which I'm guessing resulted in the Shipwrightizator blending the grey in with the red background. I'm gonna fix those sections now...

I might also do something with that "gears" idea of yours, but I'm not sure yet.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

I said we needed giant gear section sprites, but did anyone listen? Nooooo. Well, mostly Kaelis. But I think he has me on ignore anyway.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

There are gear sections in the kae_steampunk group. Not sure if that's been TSA-ized yet, though.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Work on Sangreal is being put off for the moment while I work on its big sister, the Heavy Mobile Shipyard Camlann:

It's still early days yet. The hull was thrown together in about two hours, and I'm not entirely happy with it. There needs to be lots of touching-up, detailing and other shit added before it'll be finished, but I thought I'd post it up and see if anyone here has something to offer regarding it. The transformation as it stands isn't especially representative of what the final product shall look like.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Amazing ship! Well first thing that strikes me is that the transformation is rather boring...What if you made the two sides open up by moving forward at like a 45 degree angle or on the arc of a circle?Also, only by comparison with the nose, the rest of the body seems rather petite. Might be the nacelle type extensions being too small, or maybe the nose is just a bit long. Regardless, its rather flat and repetitive along the sides, but I assume that was just to lay the shape.

That said, I really like the internal structure under where the nose transformed, you really captured the look that its lower, with the transforming bits over it. I really like the main engines and how they look like their in a lower trough rather than just slapped on. If you put weapons on the tops of each nose side you might to something similar. Also the section work is really complex in places without looking really cluttered which is impressive. Well hope at least some of that made sense and wasn't entirely retarded.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

With touch-ups pending there isn't too much to complain about.
I'm very fond of the Kae_sec90's you used in the opening mechanism. They make a lot of functional sense.
I'd have to say that the utterly flat divide is a bit boring. Perhaps some sort of small interlocking sections set underneath would help make it a bit more interesting. It would also make sense as far as the seam goes. For something that big, I just imagine that a latching mechanism would need to exist.
goduranus
Captain
Captain

Post by goduranus »

It look like a good ship, but the following might improve it:

The thruster-cone-looking sections in the front are a bit distracting as they protrude outside of the hull and project a round look where everything else there is hard and angular. Their layering also make them look like they are on tops of everything else.

The frontmost section of the engine pylons will look slightly better if they are moved inward by 1 or 2 pixel, as the flow of the pylons' outline is slightly disrupted by the protrusion of those said sections.

The exhaust-vent-looking sections that are over the blue highlighted sections might be better if they are layered below the blue sections.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

It looks a lot better closed than open.
Mostly because when it opens, you basically have two flat edges. The lengthwise one doesn't bother me so much as I know the inside will probably be filled with braces or whatever, but the other one (which isn't really completely flat, but is pretty close) looks jarring. How you made it flow back into the hull on the Sangreal should be reproduced here, if you weren't going to do that already.

Actually, if you break up the lengthwise split a bit like you did on the Sangreal, it'd be a lot better too.

I also have to agree with goduranus in saying that those two thruster cones at the front do look out of place.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well, everything I've posted in this thread so far is currently lost to me. I have no idea if or when I'll be able to get any of it back.

But it doesn't matter. I'm not really one to dwell on past works. Except for ones I really liked. Like the Clarent. So I decided to rebuild it, and taking an element of vVhorpax's very interesting design style, I gave it internal structuring. I also armed it. It's completely finished, more or less. So!

Download the Clarent.

Enjoy!
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Hmm, no comments? Oh well. Anyway, I decided to do the same with the Kingmaker. Not quite as impressive, as the Kingmaker is already quite skeletal in some respects, but hey. It's not finished yet, still needs arming and stuff, but here's what I have so far:

Quality Control Enforcer
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

How you have the pseudo reactor on the wings of the Clarent.
I feel that the Kingmaker is is missing some of the built from the ground up style of vVhorpax's ships. It would be cool to see you build some new ships in this style.
Anna

Post by Anna »

derekiv wrote:How you have the pseudo reactor on the wings of the Clarent.
I... is that meant to be a question or a statement? Either way it doesn't really make sense. The "pseudo reactors" in the Clarent aren't reactors at all, they're charged particle projectors. Directed energy weapons. Giant glowy beams emitters.
I feel that the Kingmaker is is missing some of the built from the ground up style of vVhorpax's ships. It would be cool to see you build some new ships in this style.
Well, that's because it's not meant to have the "built from the ground up" style, since it's a rebuild of a ship I made previously, with internals added. I'm not especially confident in my ability to build the internals of a ship before adding external armor and shit. It interferes with my ability to "mess around and see what I get", which is my preferred shipbuilding style.
Quality Control Enforcer