My First Creation

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

KalanVryce
Ensign
Ensign

My First Creation

Post by KalanVryce »

I have a nice ship (by my standards) I built in .88, I would really like to edit it and update it to look even better with all the awesome updates that have been done. I am not sure if I am just missing something but I can not seem to open it in the new ship editor, is there a trick or a certain step I need to take or do I have to all together re-build my ship?
Last edited by KalanVryce on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

This is in the wrong forum, it belongs in the Shipmaking Info and Resources. To your question, the ship that you built then is pretty much dead. You have to recreate it in the new one. This is because the .sb formats are differant.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
KalanVryce
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KalanVryce »

Just in case anyone wanted to see my first creation here it is. I made it before looking at anything else, a guy at work said it looked like one from Star Trek but I'm not sure about that. anyhow... as you can see not much to rebuild it but I'd like to just start from here and go with it.

KalanVryce
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KalanVryce »

Ok, thanks for the reply, I'll start re-building it then. :) Any constructive criticism on my ship is welcome. I'll be sure to post more as I start building the fleet.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Um, bad parenting? The white arrows show the parenting. So if section A has an arrow pointing to section B, then that means if section A is destroyed, then section B will be destroyed too.
Also for colors, try using shades of grey to simulate depth, the higher the shade, the higher up it looks. You can add splahes of color to prevent it from being monochrome.

P.S. You can edit posts with that button on the top right.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
KalanVryce
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KalanVryce »

Yes, as i stated this was pre .90 so I couldn't do coloring, and I had no idea about the parenting aspect as I just found this site the other day. Those will be addressed in the re-build.
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

and by the way. do not put the core section forward or leave it unprotected. Your ship will go boom as soon as it's core is destroyed.
KalanVryce
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KalanVryce »

Yes the core section is there, it's part of the design, I am aware of the frailty
firevikin125
Commander
Commander

Post by firevikin125 »

First things first.
BEEF IT UP.
That ship is way to
flimsy looking. One good
hit to the front and the core
take damage directly. Also, try and clean up your
parenting.
More more thing, add some color.
Its generally frowned upon here
when a ship shows up with stock green.
But other than that its a good start. :)
"A gargoyle's meat can be carved with an ordinary cleaver, but for its petrous hide . . ."
—Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar,
The Underworld Cookbook
KalanVryce
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KalanVryce »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes, when I built this ship originally I had no clue about the parenting (major flaw I now know), that is all cleaned up now on the rebuild for .9+, also the coloring is coming along as well.

It may look flimsy but there are two reinforced hulls on the front and a shield generator to aid in that, later builds added some better shielding. I posted this early build for a look at my design... getting all these additional parts is amazing way more to this than what I found originally.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Try adding some more sections on top of what is already there, using color to give it a sense of depth. As is, it seems rather flat.

Poke around the forums a bit and look at some other ships to get a sense of what is and is not good.