Yes, another "Newbie ship" theme.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Yes, another "Newbie ship" theme.

Post by Masluk »

Sooo...I've been playing with ShipMaker for about 3 days. Here's the ship that does not look so bad in comparison with my other ships. Used those fancy SWA style Mech sections mostly.

That cross section rotates, plasma balls are all shiny and I don't know if my colorscheme is any good.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

I like the color scheme and the section usage, but the fake aegis seems unnecessary to me.

Also, it would be great if you could make an animated gif of that rotation. I'd like to see it in action. Use ctrl+F9 like screen shot to grab frames (follow the prompts - use a number of frames equal to one frame less than a quarter rotation, and you should have a full animation if its set to repeat).
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Depth is pulled off well. Faux Aegis is eyeburn. The section usage looks ok but I think the SW-style sections are covering up.
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

Removed Fake Aegis. By the way, how do you change the exhaust color of thrusters? I tried to change it into other than blue, but in the game they are still blue.

HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

The only way to change exhaust colours is to make an entierly new exhaust sprite. When doing so rememeber that custom exhausts are drawn from the middile of the image rather than the back, so you need a bunch of blank space in front of the exhaust in order to compensate.
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

Awwww, shucks. So the exhaust color is completely useless then? And please more C&C.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Masluk wrote:Awwww, shucks. So the exhaust color is completely useless then? And please more C&C.
Arc made a pack of recolored exhaust sprites you can download here.

Also, I like your ship. The spinny middle piece looks great.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

Made Corvette-class ship. The weapons aren't well placed though. Still not sure about its role =\
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

atmospheric entry?
Lurk more
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

unsunghero10 wrote:atmospheric entry?
Hmmm. Perhaps, but its about 70 units long. don't know what its like in meters. Guess its about the same size as airbus or something similar.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Masluk wrote:
unsunghero10 wrote:atmospheric entry?
Hmmm. Perhaps, but its about 70 units long. don't know what its like in meters.
"Whatever you want it to be" is the rule of thumb around here. Just decide how many pixels are equal to however many meters, and enjoy.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Grasmaaier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Grasmaaier »

Give it missiles :D
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

They are in it already. i just set Alpha to 0. Used Minimissile launchers with Meta characteristics. By the way, I've been trying to fit that cruiser-class ship with weapons and other stuff. Installed weapons according to its threat, like 4 twin blasters, HBE and some other, but it just can't defeat other cruiser-class ship. Or it can, but it is damaged really bad (like having half of its sections destroyed) Any tips on balancing?

Oh, and i've used Ixranin beam sprite for the HBE, bit sometimes it looks reaaly strange, like part of the beam locates in other direction, or it appears ot of space 50 pixels from the actual cannon. WTF?
This is what i am talking about.
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

Hate to double-post, but i made another ship. Tried new colorscheme, which looks ok (to me at least)
A Destroyer-class ship Blue Arrow. Thoughts?
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Masluk wrote: Oh, and i've used Ixranin beam sprite for the HBE, bit sometimes it looks reaaly strange, like part of the beam locates in other direction, or it appears ot of space 50 pixels from the actual cannon. WTF?
I used to have the same problem, try turning off surfaces if you haven't already in the options menu.

As for the Blue Arrow I like the effect of the Ixra sprite with the glow at the rear end of the ship, and the usage of doodads are pretty decent around that area too. As for the rest of the ship the hull shape could be alot smoother and the engines kind of stick out too far.