Take Two

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Portal8229
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Take Two

Post by Portal8229 »

Well my first ship was pretty fail soooo I'm trying again with this.

This is Gaia, she is a massive vessel designed for two purposes.

1. To transport colonists through the deep of space.

2. To protect them from any threat at all costs.

To make sure that nothing short of an armada stands in her way she has been reinforced with the latest armor plating available, equipped with advanced Nano-Matrix repair units, high accuracy point defense weaponry and limitless energy with two HMX-208 Hydro-fusion reactors.

Any questions?
~~~~End Scene~~~~

So please judge and make useful recommendations, thanx all!!

Edit: How do you upload??? And all of the civilians are in the gray shaded areas. Also that nose "armor" is actually 4 sections not two, two wasn't large enough.

Edit 2.0: HOW DO YOU UPLOAD!?!?! Also new screen shot of updated Gaia. Yes I know it has alot of "unnecessary" weapons, can't a girl have her toys?

Last edited by Portal8229 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

You know, you can edit posts, it's in the top-right corner of every post. As for the ship, you could use a little more grey. Also you can mod the weapons so that one can do the job of 10.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Lord Aries Greymon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord Aries Greymon »

While it's nice to actually see a colony ship, (and probably just shy of massive per stock ship scaling) You do need to back off on the weapons a wee bit.

For example, using the edit button in ship-maker, you could modify 4 of your 6 forward Blasters to fire a Burst of 2.
This would mean you get the firepower of 8 blasters, for the space of 4.

You could do much the same with your 8 Particle Rifles in the middle. Remove two of them, and modify the remaining 6 with a Burst of 2.
(or even three, if you truly think it needs that much firepower.) :wink:

Allso, for a colony ship, is is rather lacking in Non-Weaponized sections.
Where does it store it's food and water, it's reactors?
(no, you do not need to make a reactor looking section, just using the BSF_stock13 part will suffice for a low-effort reactor.)

The CT_sec02 and CT_sec03 parts would work well for the previously mentioned 'missing' storage sections.

Insstead of 4 point-beams, why not use say, 6 Particle Guns (NOT Particle Rifles) and a pair of Flack cannon? That way, you have a much greater chance of intercepting enemy weapons fire before it gets to your ship.

Away from weapons balancing:
Interesting use of sections, though some of your pieces have been slightly misplaced (they're a few pixels out of position).

The two Kae_sec13s you have on the nose? You might want to trade them in for another set of parts, they way they overlap looks bad.

You might want to try a BSF_stock14 as the center of the nose, with a pair of BSF_stock04 sections to bridge the gap between the stock 14 and the Kae 13s.

Nice useage of BSF_stock26, though you might want to experiment with using more smaller sections instead, that's simply one of the less appealing sections.

I'll sign off for a bit, and let the others heckle you about your color scheme. (and suggest alternatives)
Admittedly it isn't all that bad of a sceme, it's just most of us have come to hate that particular shade of green.
(the bright green of all your outer sections is the one I mean)

EDIT: Mind you, I'm not trying to say your ship is bad, just trying to show you where it could be improved, and offering a few suggestion on methods to do so.

NEARLY FORGOTTEN ADDENDUM:
Allso, where's the download of the .sb4 and .shp files so we can play with it ourselves? If you don't know how, to upload them, feel free to ask. Someone should answer you, though it may take a few hours.
(or days on occasion, as most of us have jobs, or are busy with their own projects)
Mildly sane.
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

Also, since you're new, you may not know that you can use your own custom colors. You can edit the pallate or right click parts and set custom colors.
Portal8229
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Portal8229 »

I remember bumping this...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It wasn't even a day since the last post. Don't bump threads unless you have updated them.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
M123
Captain
Captain

Re: Take Two

Post by M123 »

Portal8229 wrote:HOW DO YOU UPLOAD!?!?!
You can upload your ship to the site HERE.
Portal8229
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Portal8229 »

No I know that, I mean how do I make it so people can download my ships from my forum post?
Couldn't get the stupid avatar thingy to work so I just stuck myself in here.
[img]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr291/Portal8229/Samantha-1.jpg[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

1)get your .shp file and put it in a zip folder. Only need the .sb4 if you want them to be able to edit your ship in shipmaker.
2)In shipmaker, click tools, export sprites. This function is buggy at best and often doesn't work with sub folders such as custom sprites/jwa/jwa_turrets. Anyway, it will create a folder(which you name), that you can add to a zip file.
2.5) Note, all this can be found, or exports, to your bsf folder, so you need to know where that is on your harddrive.
3)Upload to the site using the link mentioned above, or something like filesmelt, since the sprite folders tend to be too large for the ship uploader on this site.
4)Post links, post pics, and relax while we blow up your creations.

As for your ships, you can depth a weapon by selecting it and pressing W. It will go to the depth of the section it is parented to, which is useful for hiding missile lauchers and creating turrets. You can also make things invisible by changing the alpha in the edit tab, which is useful for modules, especially thrusters. I would recommend not using really dark colors(I think thats blue?) and really bright colors like orange, together.