New Ship's, Comment and Criticism welcome

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Should I make them normal size?

Yes
47%
No, size doesn't matter, its the section usage that counts.
53%

Total votes: 17

Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Good ships.

EDIT: Nah, nevermind. I agree with Squishy, make them bigger.
Last edited by Corporal Jomn on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Actually, no. They're meant to be played at standard zoom. If they look like shit at said zoom level, then there's a problem. These ships are just too small to be using so many sections. They'll look like hyper-detailed section clusters next to anything using standard-sized sections. This is why most everyone limits their fighter-sized ships to one section.
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

It was an experiment at using extremely tiny sections to make ships/fighters. I personally don't see the problem in them being so Tiny, but if the general consensus is that they need to be bigger, I'll make them bigger.
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

I have two new ships that I've been working on for a while now. Comment critism, changes? These are WIP so changes can and will be made.
My light frigate/Destroyer ship.
Heavy cruiser class ship.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

List below of things that bother me..

-un-streamlined shape
-cluttered look
-faek aegis (use fraxy sprites set on additive for blending)
JaffaJoke91
Captain
Captain

Post by JaffaJoke91 »

They seem... I don't know... Thrown together?
Make them more streamlined... Also, less fake Aegis. Just Keep at it.
Need... More... COOKIES!
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

I'll take out the fak aegis, and try and clean them up.
No more aegis, and its more curvy.
For my Heavy cruiser, I cleaned it up more instead of making it more curvy, tell me what'cha think.
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

Anythoughts on the refits?
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Much better. The only problem left, I think, is the shape. You may want to make it more knife-like.
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

Ok, I'll work on it some more.
And two new ships.
Comments?
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

On your poll,Ship size aesthetically isn't really a big deal,despite what others say.

However,gameplay will be effected as weapon shots clip through the armor plating.
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

Yah, after a lot of testing, I've just switched to normal ships because I had to basically double up every section in order for it to behave correctly, I had whole ships going down because all of the armor was being skipped and the core was being hit. All of the above ships are normal sized.
Lord Aries Greymon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord Aries Greymon »

Interesting. I dislike the shield bits on the first ship, but cannot actually think of how to improve it.

So I'll just move along to the second ship:
Ditch the existing support struts for the pods, use a few of the small sections as the struts instead.
Allso, ditch the struts linking the pods. I think I understand what you were trying to do, but the way you did it looks horrible. Ditch as well the sections connected to the between engine struts.

If you desperately want armor there, then run the armor from the pods themselves, and just have them overlap slightly where they meet.

The actual engine pods are nice though. Keep them.

The nose is interesting, if a wee bit cluttered. I'm uncertain which (if any) sections would be better though, so I'll recommend moving the outermost sections a bit farther out.

Now to the truly horrid. Those BSF_stock22s. While they can be used well, that isn't one of them. Perhaps a single section to cover the spot where they all meet? I'm hesitant to suggest one, as those I would use clash a bit too much with what style I'm seeing here.
Mildly sane.