Nephthys, the Goddess of Justice

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nephthys, the Goddess of Justice

Post by Devour »

I recieved advice to go forum lurking for a while. I did that. I learned some things along the way, but I also spent time thinking about what I should make next. Seeing the screen filling dreadnaught that somebody made, which looked amazing to me, I decided to make a large ship of my own.
Equipped only with stock peices and the ability to stretch them, I began my work. And for once, I planned it out. After about an hour and a half's work, the ship is finished. Though I haven't added weapons yet.
Please tell me what you think, and how I can get better. I really hope I keep improving so I can be good at this some day. But to be honest, I'm happy with it.

http://i27.tinypic.com/e6ac1i.jpg
A full sized picture of Nephthys.
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

The shape is cool, and I think you colored it well (though you left glow on in the game). But the stretched pieces got blurry and don't look so good. Also, in the front middle area, one of the pieces is flipped wrong or something, because it looks backwards.

(Also, the parts where normal sized parts overlap the stretched ones look kind of weird.)
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

The front middle area? Sorry, but I can't see where you're talking about.
Thanks for the advice though. But also, do you know where I can get larger sections so I don't have to stretch the parts?
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

The two pieces right next to the cursor in your larger picture.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

Thanks. I fixed all the mistakes that I could see, and I added weapons now.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hes referring to the stock section 16s, which are reversed. Although I like the general shape and your use of color for shading is nice, the ship itself has no definition. It looks like a bunch of sections tacked together without any regard for how they function together. It could probably be saved but take a little more time assembling your ships and they will look better.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

Okay I'll follow your advice. However, Im not sure how to "put my peices together with regard to how they'll function with each other." I'll look at some ships and hopefully learn what you mean.
xdarkcodex
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by xdarkcodex »

I think it's great. It has great coloring.
I wish I was better at coloring...
The bottom statement is true
The above statement is false
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

Devour wrote:Okay I'll follow your advice. However, Im not sure how to "put my peices together with regard to how they'll function with each other." I'll look at some ships and hopefully learn what you mean.
Think of it this way, do you put the armor inside the ship or on the outside? The function of the armor is to protect the ship. So place the parts where they should go according to their function.

And try to make the lines of the parts connect.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Commodore111 wrote:And try to make the lines of the parts connect.
Otherwise known as 'flow', this is very important to ship design.

The ship as it is lacks cohesion and glow - there's lots of random 90 degree angles coming out of nowhere and looking ugly.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

A piece of advice on how to improve on the 'flow' of a ship is to see which ships seem to fit together seamlessly, as if they were draw with that particular purpose in mind even if that was not intended.
To further elaborate on the 90 degrees issue, such right angles generally stick out a lot and degrade the design of the ship as a whole.

To eliminate this problem i suggest using more angled sections over areas that have right angles.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
thedeepestblue
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by thedeepestblue »

Commodore111 wrote:Think of it this way, do you put the armor inside the ship or on the outside?
But surely the outside of the ship would encompass the entire visible body of the ship in BSF - space being three-dimensional and all :P

Seriously though, Commodore111 does make a fair point - when you place a piece, ask what it's meant to be. Is it a second deck? A generator? A bit of armour? A mount for a weapon?

To put it in perspective, look at this picture:

The orange circle clearly highlights a piece of armour/shielding, but what are the two sections in each of the purple circles? They look like shielding as well, but why have shielding in the middle of your ship? (Admittedly it could be protecting another deck, but there isn't one there).

You should try to avoid things like the sections in the purple circle (layering sections on top of each other), lest your ship become cluttered and confusing :wink: (that said, I do like the ship - nice to know I'm not the only one who likes blue).
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

Thanks for all the advice. :)
I'm studying it all. Hoping my next ship will turn out much better. But feel free to still give in your two cents of help.