Terra Nouveau ideas!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

dyoano
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Terra Nouveau ideas!

Post by dyoano »

Hey guys, after trying my hand at a couple of ships, I decided to make a junker city. That's right: not a defense platform, or even a large space station, but a full blown city of "population: 1,000,000" proportions.

However, I'm stuck for ideas. I've gotten to the point where it's hard to make it not look repetitive. Please feed me ideas as to what you would think you'd see in a space-city. Feel free to give me any ideas you want, because i can make sprites for them if the stock ones don't work out. Also, can you guys help me out on adding depth? Thanks!

This is the city so far, around 1/3 done and still lacking refinement in many areas

A close-up on some of the buildings. Note the Sony and Boeing billboards :P

Right now, I have:

- Reactor Core + refinery + industrial district
- commercial district
- billboards & advertisements
- parking stations with civilian spacecraft
- soccer field (for scale comparison)
- Naval Base + repair station with a fleet of battle-damaged Hestias and Athenas in dry dock
- Galactic Senate building + DNA archives

I have yet to, but will eventually make:

- PD and weapons
- outer ablative armor
- living quarters
- docking station for capital ships
- asteroid mining in the industrial district
- "warp gate" that charges ships w/ deterling that has 0.00 as regen rate
- civilian spacecraft that automatically move around the city in a preset path

please help!
Last edited by dyoano on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Xynus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Xynus »

can we see a picture?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Welcome to the City of Lame. Population: this atrocity.

It lacks coherence, and all looks just cobbled together at random. Like some junker city, rather than a legitimate one.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Xynus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Xynus »

i think i agree with arcalane. it just looks like random sections.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

I'm afraid I agree with Arc, it looks randomly thrown together, like you put no thought into what should go where.

Also, I'm interested in acquiring the "city" sprites you created for the ship, they could be useful.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Good ambitious concept. Poorly executed.

Some parts are neat (the cityscape sections and such), but the rest suffer from massive stretching and severed discrepancies of detail between the connecting hulls and the busy industrial/commercial districts.

The general shape is done, but there are many rough edges that require smoothing out.

Start by substituting whole, large, single sections with combinations of normal-sized pieces to maintain an even level of detail across your creation. Doodads, glows and other fancy effects should come later after you've gotten all of this sorted out.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

I'd recommend experimenting with section usage in the 'skeleton' of this city. You have a novel concept, but like stated earlier, it looks cobbled together. Try to make it flow.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Well, you took the junker concept to heart.

Replace a lot of the big sections with several smaller ones, pick a color, and get a rough plan before starting to build. Also, what junkers can capture a sun but can't keep their city from looking like it's going to fall apart?
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
dyoano
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by dyoano »

None of the sections are stretched more than one unit in a direction... the problem is that sections are shrunk. I've been thinking about just simply making bigger custom section pieces to make the city look even, but does BF accept sprites larger than 80x80 or do i have to make several and "paste" them together in SM?

Oh, and... quite honestly... i know the city looks bad. i agree. however, believe me or not, my original WAS to make a junker city. It was supposed to be a massive city made from the hulls of the remaining Earth fleet after Earth's destruction, made in a matter of days out of sheer necessity. To capture this, i had no coherent plan (as i do on my other ships), but rather added whatever i felt like in around 5 or so different sittings of 15 minutes over the course of two weeks. But i'm less than pleased with how its going... it looks rather terrible, even for a junker. :[
Xynus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Xynus »

going for junker? may i suggest using some of Kaelis's steampunk sections?

Edit: you can make larger than 80x80 sections but the glow will asplode.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

He's right. If you are going to make sections larger than 80x80, all you need to do is turn off additive blending and probably glows.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]