FireStorm's Creations: C&C Please

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

FireStorm's Creations: C&C Please

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

New Stuff:
(need and want C&C)

I saw TSA's fancy new color inverted sections, and decided to try and make some myself. They aren't nearly as good, but they are something to play with until he releases that section pack. How's the ship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Ships:
(no longer working on, but feel free to comment)

I haven't been doing much ship building recently, but I figured I try again after seeing kaelis's new sprite pack. I think I might have overdone it with the glows, but we'll see. tell me what you think.

Last edited by FIREST0RM000 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Outlining and glow overkill scrap and retry. Shapes good though.. But the Kae_mecha is seriously overplyed trying mixing in some other sections.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

I see this thing, and I have two main thoughts: There is too much gratuitous outlining, and it is horrifyingly glowy. Really, that thing's not a ship anymore, it's a nightlight.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

The glows aren't really too excessive, though they should probably be cut down a bit. The outlining is just crap, though. Who even uses outlining anymore? What purpose is there to it? I used to use it to create depth and to combine multiple sections into a shape that couldn't otherwise be achieved, and with custom sections that's largely no longer necessary. You used it for... the sole purpose of increasing the ship's section count, apparently. They don't serve any real purpose.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

I like the glows. But that's just me.
If you could post a version without the horrific outlining though, it would look a lot better.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Update:

I removed almost all of the outlining except for some around the bridge so it stands out better. I also made some minor modifications to the glows: glow behind the wings has been reduced while the glow around the main weapon has been increased.

default zoom:
zoomed in:
Homer wrote:Outlining and glow overkill scrap and retry. Shapes good though.. But the Kae_mecha is seriously overplyed trying mixing in some other sections.
I agree with the outlining, but I think the glow should remain close to as is. While this ship consists mostly of kae mecha sections, I don't see that as being a problem since section use is still relatively varied. If you have anything less drastic than "scrap and retry, I'd be happy to listen.
Anna wrote:The glows aren't really too excessive, though they should probably be cut down a bit.
Do you have any thoughts on where they should be cut down or removed? Right now, they are all on top of a thruster to add an interesting effect when activated.
Homer, Swamp Fox, Anna, and Commodore111 wrote:Get rid of the outlining
Done

EDIT: Accidentally used pictures without all of the outlined sections I wanted to delete removed. Fixed now.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The glows aren't excessive on their own, but they call attention to the fact that the ship is all dull grey. With that much glow, I think the ship needs more color on the hull.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Based on criticism of my last ship, I think using mostly kae_mecha sections doesn't work very well. After seeing Commodore 111's holy ship, I decided to try a similar mecha sections + warning forever approach. It's still a work in progress; I'm happy with the bottom two layers, but I'm far less pleased by the upper decks. The flatter looking WF layers will most likely have turrets mounted on them. What I have so far:

(Click to see a gif of the reactor. Also, please excuse my horrible gif making skills)

Update: I replaced the large stretched section with a 50% larger custom version of that sprite. I think I may add some more detailed sections around the reactor since the High/Low detail contrast there looks a little awkward I think. Here's the reactor area now:
(Left: Sprite I just made. Right: Ixranin's original sprite.)
ImageImage

The nose still needs to get some attention and I'm hoping to come up with something interesting to do with the back to break from the star destroyer like shape. At the moment it still lacks color. I'm planning on adding glows to spice things up a bit, but I'd be happy to hear any thoughts on how to add more color without losing the depth that you get from levels of gray.
Last edited by FIREST0RM000 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Your latest ship is hard to describe, the glow is ok... But the ring used to contain it is just a giant stretched section The front of the ship needs alot of work it looks jumbled and indistinguishable in areas. The top layer though is spot on the shape is OK though if not star destroyer like.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

New ship; last one is still coming along, but some more C&C would be nice.
EDIT: Ok, the glow isn't so popular; changing the pic to the no glow one and adding a link to a very subtle glow version.
Subtle Glow

Here's the latest screen shot on the big ship. I tried using WF sections to make the back curve out, unfortunately, WF sections don't look good in large groups.

Last edited by FIREST0RM000 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick yer poison
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pick yer poison »

I'd say definitely go for no glow on the first one. All that red glow makes it look like it's gonna blow up any second.
"Three rights may make a left, but there's still something drastically wrong with your pathfinding algorithm."
xdarkcodex
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by xdarkcodex »

Wow too much glow!
Yes go for the no glow.
The bottom statement is true
The above statement is false
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

The glow is not the point, even though it's too glaring. The point is, this ship stinks. You're using far too much WF sprites without covering them with smaller sections, and the other sections you're using are placed along the ship in a jumbled and cluttered mess. That, and there's no color whatsoever.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Which ship are you talking about AD? The big one only has glows around the reactor, and the smaller one has very few WF sections, all of which are covered I believe.

In the mean time, here's another. I like the style of adding spikes, but I'm not sure if coloring them all was a good idea.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I mean the big one.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush