The Southern Core: Merchantman redesign

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Southern Core: Merchantman redesign

Post by ArcaneDude »

The Southern Core Trading Company

We bargain not simply goods. Our stock is power, our product authority. It is our rule that brings us profit. Our will that does business. ~ Lord Yonn

The Southern Core Trading Company (colloquially called the Southern Core) is a vast corporation that operates in nearly all sectors to the South (when seen on a Standard 2D Galactic Map) of the Galactic Core. It's largest operation is trading goods on an interstellar basis, while it also holds many factories, construction facilities, ... resulting in a legally disputable trade monopoly in said sectors.

Founded over 300 years ago by Lord Sir Finnegast Yonn, it started as a simple trading company with only one ship. The then Finnegast Yonn was a cunning businessman, however, and managed to establish his company quickly, assets spread over several cubic lightyears. Finnegast Yonn had a genious mind; he quickly managed to lobby for privileges that allowed his Company, then the Yonn Trading Company, to sport light defensive weapons on it's ships. As the company grew, and was reformed into the Southern Core, it managed to gain access to heavy weapons, arming it's merchant vessels for 'protection against piracy threats', among other secondary reasons. The real reason was to establish the Southern Core as a military power, respected and feared among it's competition. A massive jolt in piracy activity made severl hundred smaller companies run to the protection of the Southern Core, assisting it to further establish it's monopoly.

The current balance is that the Southern Core holds nearly all trade routes under military guard, having lobbied for it's military force for ages. It has changed into a corporate zealot, that not only holds trade routes, but portions of colonies as well. Inhabitants are usually encouraged to work in the various production facilities held by the Soutern Core, it's strict rule making sure they have no choice.

The Southern Core's might has an undaunting side effect, however. They stop at nothing. Slave trade is not officially empowered, but suspected to be quite common. Hunting down 'alleged pirates' (read: protesters against the monopoly) and actual pirates are considered equally legal by the Southern Core's large military branch. It's fleet is often found attacking smaller governements to drop taxes, and getting support from unwitting larger governements such as the Verdian Empire and the Commonwealth of Man to assist it in pirate hunts.

The Southern Core Military Branch

I will see that any man who flies under a pirate flag gets what he deserves: a short drop and a sudden stop. ~ Lord-Commodore Aelier

The Southern Core's extensive military branch has a true military hierarchic structure and is one of the finest and most disciplined naval combat organization in existance. It is currently Led by Lord-Commodore Aelier, who is known to be as ruthless as the Southern Core itself. He will 'confisquate', interrogate, torture and kill to reach his goal, and is known to be a very cunning military commander. Earning his reputation as the Commanding Officer of a Southern Core armed merchant vessel during an anti-piracy campaing known as the Slaughter of Port Jones, Aelier is not a type to be trifled with.

The Military Branch is divided into two divisions; the naval divisions, under whom's flag fly the dreaded armed Merchantmen, and the marines, a branch of well trained servicemen, often referred to as minutemen, in analogy to ancient British soldiers on Earth.

Naval Division

Ships of the Southern Core are often referred to as Southern Coremen, and are heavily armed. Capital ships serve a dual role of acting as merchant vessels and fully capable warships.

Merchantman class Galleon

Armament
10x Larsen Hypervelocity Rocket Launcher
6x Medium Pulsed Nadion Beam (Turreted)
6x 520mm AM Propelled Variable Ordnance Driver (Equipped with HE Nuclear Fusion Shells)
1x 1040mm AM Propelled Variable Ordnance Driver (Equipped with Tactical Exotic Matter Warheads

Linesman class Brigantine

Armament
6x Larsen Hypervelocity Rocket Driver
2x Medium Pulsed Nadion Beam (turreted)
1x Enhanced Medium Pulsed Nadion Beam (spinal)

Equipment
Sandwiched Stasis Field Barrier
Gravitic Beam Destabilization Pod Launcher

-----

This is it then, the official thread. From now on, critisizm goes right here and is still appreciated, as always.
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Sun May 24, 2009 3:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Nice backstory you got there, but the ship you got is also equally nice though the orange glowly core thing in the middle of the ship seems out ofplace in contrast to all the blue glowly things. Also to the right of those dual barrled turrets Eri made that blue piece seems kinda randomly placed to me.

Moar ships! :D
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

I kinda agree with Homer - not totally sure that your orange glow goes with the blue glow, and the yellow centre glow seems a bit random. you might also want to use a few more blue detailed sections to make the ones you have used less overt. My last criticism would be that I don't think that the two double cannons fit - they look so low tech and square compared to the ship's flowing lines and low-detailed sections.

On the good - well, I love the ship in so many ways, particularly the usage of WF sprites - though I think there's still more you could do to get them to fit better - better use of detailed sections to blend them in, for example. None the less, hella sweet :D

Oh, and nice back story.. very Pirates of the Caribbean :D
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Bamp

Experimenting with specially made custom sections. I'm guessing fission at least partially mailed. I don't especially hate it, but I'm not entirely sure about the quality of the custom sections.

EDIT: work on improving the four large sections has commenced. Two done already, looking a lot better. Of course C&C is always approved.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

Hmmm, I can't say I like the look of the sections, but the most glaring thing about this one is that the blue sticks out way too much.

Its not like the first ship which had blue integrated and broken up within the design itself.

Use more sections over the blue ones or maybe change the blue into a 'duller' shade.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Isdatsumupdaet?

Sections hopfully improved and the blue's been made darker. Still WIP though, crits always approved.

EDIT: I've already tinted the yellow sections a little more to grey side, will be visible in the next update.
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

The custom sections have improved a lot. The darkening might be a bit overdone, now the white/yellow sections look out of place...
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Armed version, and nearly finished:

Linesman class Brigantine

Armament
6x Larsen Hypervelocity Rocket Driver
2x Medium Pulsed Nadion Beam (turreted)
1x Enhanced Medium Pulsed Nadion Beam (spinal)

Equipment
Sandwiched Stasis Field Barrier
2x Gravitic Beam Destabilization Pod Launcher

Balanced to an IVL Tarus, which magically seems to work still without running it through a painstaking process of save, resave, alter, remirror, etc. etc. Same goes for the rest of the Modern IVL fleet, hurray!

Full changelog:
- Cleaned up the custom sections
- Darkened the custom sections
- Armed the ship
- Brightened the blue custom sections (by 20 points)
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Bump

I tried to rebuild the merchantman, but...I'm not entirely sure whether it's better. I don't really trust my own judgement these past few weeks.

Comments always welcome. It's not entirely finished yet, I need to complete the docking area.

EDIT: this time with proper background.
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

Some of the blue sections stand out too much, so do the frontmost yellow triangles.

And what are those claws at the front for?
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Those are docking clamps.

EDIT:

Update.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The updated ship looks a lot better. In fact it looks good to me. I'm pretty new so I don't have that much authority or knowledge about shipmaking but the thing in the center of the yellow glow looks awkward.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Still liked the one with WF sprites more... but hey, this one looks fun as well.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

25000st wrote:The updated ship looks a lot better. In fact it looks good to me. I'm pretty new so I don't have that much authority or knowledge about shipmaking but the thing in the center of the yellow glow looks awkward.
Agreed.

And the yellow and blue still stand out too much. It now just seems like the ship is just painted, just use a slightly greyer shade for them.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

maarten wrote:
25000st wrote:The updated ship looks a lot better. In fact it looks good to me. I'm pretty new so I don't have that much authority or knowledge about shipmaking but the thing in the center of the yellow glow looks awkward.
Agreed.

And the yellow and blue still stand out too much. It now just seems like the ship is just painted, just use a slightly greyer shade for them.
The failed crest has already been changed.

And may I subtly point out that the only way to get fucking color on a piece of metal is to PAINT IT?. They don't stand out too much, they're perfectly fine.

EDIT: armed and tweaked version in the first post.