Something is missing. Help me out.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

Looks pretty good, though the aegis'd prow really bugs me. Aesthetically, I don't like the aegis modules themselves. Also, gameplay wise, I think having an invulnerable prow is a really bad idea, as it will draw out fights for too long, and can easily result in stalemates. What I would suggest is to trash the aegis, and instead mod the hp of the previously aegis'd sections very high, and then give them a fake aegis glow. This will preserve the tough prow aspect, get rid of the ugly lines and aegis modules, while also preventing stalemates from occuring.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
Bang Doll
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bang Doll »

Color scheme's not all that bad! I'd reccomend changing the aegis color to match it though (that is, if you still want to keep the aegis), and either outlining the ship in a bright color (to bring out the color inside) or using a lighter shade of grey for the insides. As it is, its going to be difficult to see in game, especially with glow disabled.
Retro42
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Retro42 »

Here's a few changes I've made so far.

I'm keeping the Aegis I think. I did recolor it to not stand out so much though. It still a well balanced ship due to the fact a duo of small ships can get behind the shield easy enough.

I alpha'd out the mini launchers and faced them backwards. It should now launch a swarm of missile from the red square sections that arc around the side of the ship.

Fleshed out the centerline with a few more layers.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Aw... I thought the aegis glow you had going was really unique.
Retro42
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Retro42 »

We'll see how the new glow handles a few simulations:) I still on the fence there.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

There's definitely potential here...some of the used techniqeus remind me of oldschool shipbuilding, which is always nice to see. What I don't like is the blocky-ness of the front end of the winglets compared to how comparably smooth the rest is. It's recommended to use custom sections for the armoured front, or to try using other sections. For example, there's a Kae_detailed section that's sloped downwards and would certainly fit the shape, in stead of this jumble of shrunk sections. Colorwork is okay, it's not overarmed, although I would like to see some small weapons mounts on this, or at least custom sprites. Good job at figuring out how to trigger this from the start.

Also, welcome to the forums.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Large main problems = Color, I suggest a different color scheme than that, if you are like the others a darky fan with red, then lighten it up.
Also, scaled weapons are, and stay ugly, the sabots are easily noticed.
Use a wider choice of sections, that makes ships look pretty.
As well as you might want to go a bit easier on weapons, try to not scale em, its ugly.
But the main problem is the color.
Retro42
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Retro42 »

I took Arcane's advice and clean up the shield. I changed the color of it back as well. I think the dif color on it helps to create the lines along the front section.

I'm thinking of dropping the sabots in favor of a few smaller mounts along the sides. As it is now it's got more than enough firepower for an assault but is useless to a small group.

I just used red as a "starter coat" I'm still trying to find the right color combo to make it work.

Edit: Typos everywhere. Feeding the baby and typing aren't easy to multitask.
Retro42
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Retro42 »

Here's the semi-finished product!

I used an action shot because the colors look much nicer there than in SM. I reworked the weapons for a more useful spread.

It's definitely in the cruiser or larger class though. Even if size wise it's a touch small it still packs a mean punch in the assault role.

Note: Notice the shields are down? It because they are linked to the main cannon. When it acquires its target(in a small 50degree arc) they deploy. Usually means the ship is facing the bulk of the enemy as well.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

Just some minor nitpicks:
The colour of the shield is GAY. Just make it fit in with the rest of the ship please.
The sections on the wings overlap and the wings are build with totally differant pieces then the rest of the ship.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Alright... look at this...

The shields on that one seem faded,if you keep the color(of the shields) seen here and lower the intensity(to a level that simulates this),it should look quite nice.
Retro42
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Retro42 »

Took the advice. Dulled the colors and still kept them with a distinct look from the ship.

Removed the Missiles in back. Just didn't feel right. A little over arming at that.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Now that looks much better by my opinion.
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Everything is fine, but the blasters...bug me... Perhaps you could hide them under the red sections they are placed on, so that it looks like its a weapon deck or something.

Also, I spy 4 point beams and 4 particle guns. Too much defense in my opinion.
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

The ship has repeating patterns, looks uglay.