Beginnings of a fleet, perhaps?

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Beginnings of a fleet, perhaps?

Post by Shiemtek »

Managed to tear myself away from Sins of a Solar Empire (Gasp!) long enough to renew my addiction to the Ship Maker. So far, I've made (and slightly balanced) 3 ships: 1 Interceptor-class and 2 Patrol-like crafts.

Velocity Interceptor:
Light and agile, the Velocity Interceptor is the sole fighter of the [Lawl, faction name]'s fleet. It's pilots are trained extensively in the art of dogfighting, and most manage to come out of one alive.

Weapon Loadout:
1 "AI Blaster Mk. I" Blaster. Medium Refire, nominal damage and colored to match the ship.

Sweeper Patrol Boat:
The Sweeper Patrol Boat, aptly named for it's nimble flight in combat operations, provides protection from most small fighter craft. It has also proven effective as support in a larger fleet based operation.

1 "Matter Thief" Pulse Cannon. Rapid fire and small damage make this weapon either an effective distraction for Flak guns or a serious threat to any armored vessel.
4 "[Forgot to name them]" Blasters. Near default refire and fire rate, though it is still effective in subduing any agile ship.
1 "[Why bother naming this?]" Flak Cannon.
1 "Deflector Mk. I" Deflector. Provides a short term (~20 seconds) deflection shield around a specific section. Modded to decrease regen and energy reserves.

Imperial Patrol Boat:
The Imperial Patrol Boat is the oldest piece of the Old Empire's fleet. In recent years, it has been outfitted and upgraded accordingly, and has once again become a deadly member of the Emperor's Navy.

Weapon Loadout:
6 "[Some kind of fearsome word]" Blasters. Balanced accordingly with the Sweeper's blasters, though it includes two more to make up for the Deflector.
1 "[Pleh]" Flak Cannon.
1 "Hull Buster" Gattling Cannon. I figured, rather than use a missile, like I previously intended on doing, or using the Pulse Cannon on the Sweeper, I'd use this. It's slower, which make sense because it does around 125 damage per shot. If the Sweeper can participate in Fleet Engagements, this might as well be able to as well.

So, tell me what you think! I've posted the parenting pictures (mostly because I'm lazy) to show the parenting is mostly logical (Note: There is a section 14 piece on the Sweeper where the arrow deviates right above the deflector). Of course, this is still a WIP, though it's probably going to turn into some kind of fleet (Minus anything lower than a cruiser, because.. In the time this takes place, advanced engines required to propel anything heavier than a Cruiser through space haven't been invented), with proper names and such.
Last edited by Shiemtek on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

The patrol boat is a bit to black imo, but anyway I like all your designs.
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Zancloufer
Commander
Commander

Post by Zancloufer »

Look good, but some of the ships have their flank pieces parented to the front ones. Other than that, it's good.
kaaskopp
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by kaaskopp »

i like the sweeper, the hulls sweet. but yes, dark colors imo too.
[img]http://i17.tinypic.com/71qxdkx.png[/img]

joa, hascht wasch gegn waischwuascht?
scheiß weißwurst. Geht um alkohol junge!!
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Lolz, your comments on teh weapon names are funneh...
Have a tiny porblem with the patrol boats... their a little OP(Overpowered) with 6/4 blasters
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shiemtek »

bl3d4 wrote:Lolz, your comments on teh weapon names are funneh...
Have a tiny porblem with the patrol boats... their a little OP(Overpowered) with 6/4 blasters
Funny you mention that..

The Sweeper can kill the Imperial Patrol Boat rather easily. If anything, the Sweeper is the overpowered one.

Additionally, I did forget to mention, the blasters on the Imperial and Sweeper Patrol Boats have different refire / clipsize rates, so they are quite different :).

I need to put a bit more work into them (and weapon names, perhaps). Update, including a new fighter, bomber and another ship of some type, tomorrow.
Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shiemtek »

Additions to the possible fleets.

Wind Stalker:
The Wind Stalker fighter was first manufactured on the Empire's capital planet, Ordo, in the latter part of Tiberius Maximus' reign as Emperor. It was based from stolen plans from the [Other faction's name >,<]'s covert operations base orbiting the Kurile asteroid belt.

Weapon Loadout:
1 "Stalker Blaster" Blaster. Highest firing blaster rate at the moment, coupled with a max. speed bullet and low deviation. It works very well against any small ships.

Seraphus Bomber, Mk. II:
A smaller, more agile addition to the Empire's demolition crew, the Seraphus proves itself in combat against even the mightiest of foes.

Weapon Loadout:
2 "Torpedo" Missiles. 75 Damage (will probably be changed later) and a slow missile speed make this perfect for attacking large, slow ships. Attacking smaller ships, such as patrol boats, however, has met with limited success (It works, but you end up losing half the squadron of bombers).
1 "Slow Fire" Blaster. Fires slowly ('Torpedo' drains a lot of energy, you know) but does the same damage as a normal blaster. Reason number 74 why you never send in one of these alone if there's fighters.
Updated designs:
Lightened colors a bit, because it kind of blended with the darkness of space O.o.

Updated Loadout:
1 "Maximus Blaster" Gattling Blaster. Same as the "Hull Buster" from the previous design, except the bullet is now white and moves a bit faster.
4 "Basic Blaster" Blasters. Really self-explanatory.
2 "Rapid Turret Mk. I" Blasters. Fast firing, low deviation but slow movement speed. Most fighters can outrun them, making it ideal for a quick strike on any larger ships around it.
1 Flak Cannon. Still see no point in naming this..

Shots of ships in action to come soon. Probably a change in the color schemes as well, but that isn't completely certain. Let me know what you think!
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

This is begging for encounters to be made with it if you add much more in the same vein to it...
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Yay! I'm wrong. :roll:
Can we have bigger ships?
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
Shiemtek
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Shiemtek »

Updated information:

The Vosse race is a strange race, tucked away in a distant nebula where they thrive in the freezing cold darkness of their planets. Their race's history, recently acquired from an intercepted transmission to one of their patrols, seems to be fanatic at best. This excerpt seems to be the most worrying:
.. Our beliefs-- our science and discoveries-- dictate our lives. We move forward as it moves forward. However, it would seem that we have now reached the apex of our technological capabilities-- our enemies have been decimated, and our society thrives as it has for millenia. Our society must become greater somehow. Only then can we achieve the Transcendence we have sought after for so long. And, if this involves leaving our homes and seeking out other races, then so be it.
Obviously we would be the first ones to fall to their fleets. We have deployed several units to look for any trace of their military power, and what we've received suggests that their technological level is similar to ours. This photograph seems to show their fleet's current alert status:

We can assume that the large ship in the center serves as their capital ship, and the smaller ships on either side serve as some type of interceptor class frigate. The three ships flanking the capital ship are obviously some type of fighter craft, though their exact role in the Vosse fleet is presently unknown. Command is working on getting a weapon loadout on the ships themselves, so we've advised all patrols near that area to be on high alert.

There is one more aspect to this situation. As our final recon unit was leaving the nebula, this wreck was spotted:

Our unit quickly searched the area, only to find this unit, distorted by the nebula's gaseous composition:

We can only assume this faction is hostile to the Vosse. Would they help us if we attacked them? Only time will tell.

Intelligence Division out.

[[ Major redesign. The Sweeper and Imperial Patrol Boat have been redone, and I've added a capital ship to the now-named Vosse. I suppose all of this is just a bit of background information?

I'll be working on the Imperial side of this conflict, so stay tuned. In the meantime, please tell me what you think of the ships. ] ]
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

I like the hulls. I would suggest that you shrink the size of the weapons considering that your ships are fairly small, so as to reduce clutter.