The Novelty Weapon Collection

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

the202
Ensign
Ensign

Post by the202 »

Rotational symmetry?
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

the202 wrote:Rotational symmetry?
IMO rotational asymethry
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

the202 wrote:Rotational symmetry?
Good, 1/4 pieces of the puzzle :D. BIG HINT TIME: A side effect of this effect is that the armour of the ship becomes distributive. Sections share the damage they have taken with other sections.

Where's ChaosTheoery, or Natch?
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Are you going to post pics? Vagueness is not helpful.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

No, pics would give it away instantly, and there's no way I could give a 'hint-pic' either, but I'll give more of a hint: by distributive armour, I mean that when an enemy beam, for example, attacks it, several sections take damage at the same time (i.e., they all go yellow-orange-red at about the same time), and then they all blow. Try thinking about this in terms of rotational symmetry.

rotational symmetry? symmetric with respect to what?

You kinda need to get each piece of the puzzle working in order for this to work, so try to get what you know working. If you get really stumped, well, I'll see if I can make something for you guys to play around with that might help.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Okay, I got it. :D :D :D :D :D

You created a ship that has 0 speed, 0 accel, and a turn speed that is a factor of 360. (let's say 30)

Then you made a ship that is symmetrical in 360/turning axes. (so 360/30 = 12 axes of symmetry, or a decagon)

Then you built arms (or whatever) off of the ship along these axes of symmetry, and changed each arm in such a way so that when the ship is turning, it appears to stay stationary while the "arms" animate in a loop.

Do you need me to make a .shp to explain it better, or do I get cookies anyway?

BTW, this was a good one. I had thought of this a while back, but it didn't re-surface in my head until now.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

.shp, please :D. Not that I don't believe you, but I really want to see what this looks like.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Spinning Saws!!!!

D/L to see the epic win in action. Makes for one sweet starbase covered in blades.

*Pirates: "Open your docking bays or we will annihilate you!"*
*Station: "Docking request denied. Dock and die, foul scum of the nebula!"*

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... n_test.shp

antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Hmmm... I wonder if you could make a kinetic missile out of that using centripital force from rotation? Except it sprays projectiles across the whole map when it explodes.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Nope. Parts aren't getting any of the speed/etc. from their previous situation. No dice.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

That's too bad, I assumed that TH15 made a more realistic physics engine.:-\
Don’t worry it has airbags.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Awesome, Chaos (*gives cookies*)! Actually, you guys are at 3.5/4, as that's a variant of what I had. Coincidentally, I realized you could get effects like that while trying to get you guys to discover it. :)
ChaosTheory wrote:BTW, this was a good one.
Thanks!

Anyways, I'll just give you the last two twists: First, instead of using 30 for turn speed, use 29.98, as an example, to keep the whole thing rotating. Secondly, while numbers like 12 or 8 spokes makes placing the pieces easy, it stops you from doing the coolest effect of all: having the inner half of the station rotate one way, while the outer half rotates the other way. How you do this is take two numbers (11 and 13, for me) such that you can get a pair (5/11 = 0.4545 which is close to 6/13 = 0.4615). Then make 11 (inner in my station) and 13 (outer) spoke rings, and give the station a turn speed of a number in between the two found earlier times 360 (0.4577 * 360 = 146.77). One ring will rotate slowly clockwise, and the other counter clockwise. This works because the outer ring turns just under 6 spokes to the left, while the inner ring turns just over 5 spokes to the left, creating the illusion that they are turning in opposite directions.

My Stations

You could probably combine mine and chaos's independent movement tricks to get some insanely awesome stations, or as I was thinking earlier today, some cool bosses for the Metal Fox encounters.

@ Chaos: Now we need to think of good ways to arm these. I've been struggling to get good looking turrets on my station, because they of course look funny when they start their 'idle rotation'. If you could get a station that incorporates all this, with a sweet-yet appropriate weapon, you'd get... I don't know, an epic cookie? Also, I think the distributive armour is cool in its own right, any ideas about it?
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

If you set the turrets turn speed to below 1.0, they will not have the 'idle rotation'.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

But then they get turned all funky :o! I can't give a screenie because photobucket is blocked on the computer I'm on now, but they are actually forced outside their firing arc by the speed the station is whirling around at. Cool, but frustrating, so they need to be able to turn fast to keep up.

So the rotate idly...
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

W00t!

Your stat station A3 is fun to watch.

Hehehehehe . . .

We will see what can be done with this, yes . . .