Wicky's Assorted Ships

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Second Generation Juggernaut:

A1 Atlas: Juggernaut, equipped with four deflectors, four double pulse laser batteries, two repeating pulse cannons, four heavy pulse cannons, two double blaster batteries and a heavy Yamato cannon.
Heavily armed and protected, the Atlas is the Republic's heaviest warship, used when a strong victory needs to be guaranteed. Extensive automation drastically reduces the crew requirements for even a ship this large, allowing more of these powerful vessels to be manned by the Republic's stretched Naval personnel.

(not to scale with the Atlas, heh)
Currently known only as 'Alliance Cruiser', and possibly inspired by Serenity, this ship packs three double-barrelled plasma cannons in addition to eight defence blisters.

Basically I got bored, but reckoned that it didn't deserve a thread to itself despite me wanting some feedback on it...
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The Juggernaut is beautiful.

The Cruiser is a bit repetitive though, you ought to try and put some variety in the segments.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

I agree with Kiltric. The Atlas is awesome. The cruiser has some interesting features, and the overall design is interesting, but it feels like you started too small and used too small a selection of sections. What was your motivation/inspiration for it?
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

I like that Atlas. The coloring is half decent in this case, no glaring problems to point out.

The Alliance Cruiser is far too repetitive for my tastes. Very small section palette, and it might have one too many plasma cannons, which doesn't leave much room for a bridge or generators. It seems a bit flatly shaded at that.

Overall I think you've improved a bit, though the (lolstarcraft) battlecruiser was my personal favorite, for whatever reason.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

The first one is a fine little thing. The flowing lines in one direction means that lack of section detail doesn't bother me, and the coloring and highlighting is well done, although you didn't pick a very challenging color scheme.

The last one looks like the start of a much bigger ship. That is to say, it absolutely does not justify being called a finished ship at all.
Last edited by Cycerin on Wed May 13, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

First ship is quite excellent. The second wanders off in a completely different direction stylistically, and it's really no good. Use the Atlas as your reference point, and build ships with similar design characteristics (section choice and usage, color scheme, armament, general shape, etc). You could end up with quite a nice fleet.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The moral of this story, kids, is that Wicky is decent at shipmaking in general, but bad at custom spriting. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Sponge wrote:Use the Atlas as your reference point, and build ships with similar design characteristics (section choice and usage, color scheme, armament, general shape, etc). You could end up with quite a nice fleet.
Hey Sponge, you seen the previous page? :p

Thanks for the positive comments on the Atlas - it's just dawned on me that although initially I'd kept the colour scheme house colours, thus limiting the shading, the grey's now fixed... so I have no excuse for not shading, heh.

With the cruiser... yeah, I guess it is repetitive, but the lack of detail was part of what I was going for - underneath those three large curved panels are detailed spiney sections, but between the huge cannons and the glowy stuff you can't seen any of that. I'll rework it, cos I'm convinced I can pull something out of those sprites...

P.S. Dammit Arc - one day I'll make a sprite so awesome that you'll... well... not insult me about it ;)

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Wicky_42 wrote:P.S. Dammit Arc - one day I'll make a sprite so awesome that you'll... well... not insult me about it ;)
Good thing you didn't try to impress me... that just ain't gonna happen unless you can pull off a miracle. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Arcalane wrote:
Wicky_42 wrote:P.S. Dammit Arc - one day I'll make a sprite so awesome that you'll... well... not insult me about it ;)
Good thing you didn't try to impress me... that just ain't gonna happen unless you can pull off a miracle. ;)
Oh, I dunno - I mean, if I get your expectations low enough I could pull off an 'impress' cos it's relative to one's expectations, heh.

Edit cos it doesn't need bumping:
The new and improved Alliance Cruiser featuring more bang, and more cool! Armaments are stored within the hull for safe keeping during travel (and to avoid aggravating the locals, heh), but at the first sign of danger they automatically deploy and activate.

Yes, I've kept the repetition cos I like it :P However, I've also fleshed it out a bit down the sides, and making the turrets smaller has allowed some of the structure to show through beneath them when the armour retracts. A subtle bit of transparency, imo, helps to reduce the repetition in the main body, though I'm thinking about what to do on the engines.

Other than the engines the only bit that I'm not overly pleased with is the centre - not quite sure what to do with that gap in the armour. Perhaps some sort of bridge section? Continuous armour along that section would look FAR to repetitive, even by my standards, heh ;)

Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The cruiser is definitely an improvement, though the repetition still bothers the eye a bit. I'd recommend using different sprites for the dorsal weapon housings than the rest of the hull coverings, or at least use different shadings to distinguish them and break up the monotonous appearance.
The side weapons are very nice. Good job with the triggering and the like.
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

This is some serious improvement. The extending side-turrets are great, I like them. Maybe mirror some of the custom sprites? That would decrease the repetition a tiny bit. But I agree with Kiltric, different ones for the covers would look even better.

The glow seen when the sections are open is nice too, really gives the impression of looking straight at the ship's core.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I see what you mean there about the alpha, does make for an interesting effect. Maybe treat this as a testbed for things to put on your next ship, like opening weapons doors and hull tiling. Definitely needs a bridge at that gap, or maybe a launch bay of some sort.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

So... completely lacking in motivation after coursework I've been unable to come up with any designs for ages :(

However, messing with some custom sprites I came up with this:

with these:

Good/bad? Worth working with, go back to the Republic or the Alliance Cruiser? Fuck it and go keep messing around? Like I say, I want to do something, but I've just run into a wall with ideas :'(

MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

I smell my color scheme, lol.
as for the beams, they look meh.
Ship itself looks a bit "simple" due to those custom sections, no real visible structure for me.