Yet another new ship thread!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HailFire
Ensign
Ensign

Yet another new ship thread!

Post by HailFire »

...But I'll try not to suck, honest. :wink:

Been lurking for awhile (month or so), finally decided to register after seeing the Alliance metagame (which I plan on participating in, if possible), and plenty of awesome/crap ships on this subforum (the former of which I envy the skills of the makers of, and the latter of which I have plenty of, but won't be subjecting you to).

No backstory, but I don't have any cohesive fleets yet, so eh. Also unarmed, but I sometimes have trouble making weapons not look like crap on ships (and i can't seem to get hiding weapons under sections (W, presumably) to work).

Also .bmps, but I don't want to bother wrestling with SM's screenshot feature.

Without further ado:

'Crescent Moon' Destroyer (the doodads on the support structures flash and I fake aegis'd the core, but I don't know how to make .gifs)

'Interdictor' Missile Frigate (default green preserved for team color)

'Raven' Stealth Reconnasiance Vessel

More coming sometime in the future, comments and criticism are appreciated (and sorry for the wordy post/abuse of parentheses).
Last edited by HailFire on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devour
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Devour »

The first ship is weird. Probably because you're using so much of the same peice. It is creative, though.
If these are your first ships, its not too bad, but its not all that pleasant to look at either. The way you put the peices together is messy, and it looks like it wouldn't fare well in combat. The section usage wasn't the best either. Practice more.

For the second ship, it looks way too bulky and uneven. The colors don't blend together, and your section usage wasn't really any better than the last ship. You have potential, though.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

The tips of the wings are of on the first ship they are pointing slightly outwards.

And please hide the thrusters, and maybe even arm them?
HailFire
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HailFire »

Devour wrote:The first ship is weird. Probably because you're using so much of the same peice. It is creative, though.
That's the point, isn't it? :wink:
Devour wrote:The way you put the peices together is messy, and it looks like it wouldn't fare well in combat. The section usage wasn't the best either. Practice more.
Curves are sort of a new art for me. :P

I don't disagree with the second part though; I imagine that it's largely a ceremonial ship, rather than a combat vessel. Despite it's vulnerability towards the front, though, it's flanks and rear are heavily armored; with a few autoguns in there, it ought to be great for laying suppressive fire on enemy strikecraft.
Devour wrote:For the second ship, it looks way too bulky and uneven. The colors don't blend together, and your section usage wasn't really any better than the last ship. You have potential, though.
I won't disagree here. Robust was intended, but I'm not really satisfied with the sections myself. :?

I'll probably go back and redesign that one at some point.
maarten wrote:The tips of the wings are of on the first ship they are pointing slightly outwards.
I don't follow. If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, they're pointing inward... which was intentional. :?

Also, new ship:

I wanted to try a minimalist design here; I think it worked out. Sorry for the really dark colors, but it's suposed to be hard to spot. :P
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

No I'm really sure they are not following the curve of the ship and thus are pointing out.

The newest ship would look cool if you added 2 big engines from the steampunk pack instead of the green bits. And maybe you could use differant parts for the wings they don't look so good now. The sections you use for wings look better as the ends of a curve or when placed horizontally.