A Really Big Ship

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

I Think...

I don't think.
65%
It's good.
35%

Total votes: 17

toothyp1cks
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

A Really Big Ship

Post by toothyp1cks »

Edit: I don't think was supposed to be I don't think it's good but it was too long so it came out as I don't think.

Well, it's been a while since I did anything even remotely BF based (a few years) so I was surprised when I found shipmaker had been updated. Awed by the new trigger and driver abilities I began my largest project yet. A Really Big Ship. Personally I think it turned out rather well but criticism would be appreciated.

[You can't really see them but there are 2 huge turrets hiding there.]
The EMPATCC Genocide
Background: The Earthen Mining Protectorate and Trading Company Conglomerate Genocide is one of the largest ships ever built. Second only to the Earthen Petrol Defence Organization (EPDO) Safeguard in size and power it can crush anything the United Nations Earthen Defence Fleet (UNEDF) can put onto the battlefield (though this is hardly surprising because the UNEDF is a joke). It was constructed by the EMPATCC to defend their shipments of ore from pirates. It is assigned to protect the rare and valuable Mantardian Ore that starship metals are made of.
Why Build It?: The Genocide was built to protect from pirate and rival company raids. The UNEDFP (P-Police) have failed to establish law and order in the stars so mega-companies who are larger than the UN need to employ their own fleets. The largest fleet belongs to the EPDO and the second largest to the EMPATCC.
Construction Time: 3-4 Years
Armaments: 2 Triple Schwere Gustav Mk 7
The Schwere Gustav was developed by the Third Reich (Nazis) and was an 80cm super heavy artillery piece. It took 2000 people to crew and was transported by rail. Only one was ever built and it could fire 14 shots a day. During the war it was dismantled for parts and never rebuilt until 2084 when Master-Overseer of the EPDO saw potential for an anti-capital ship weapon. The Mk 7 has a larger barrel (280cm) and fires a lot faster thanks to a complicated loading system.
10 Sabot Cannons
2 Autocannons
2 Twin Autocannons
[That's right, they rotate. Yeah, I know the colour is screwed but that's BF's fault not mine.]
Constructive Critisicm Appreciated
Non-Constructive Critisicm Will Be Burned At A Stake
Last edited by toothyp1cks on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Baron's Own Police.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Try setting your glow color to black to fix the colors.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

1) No the colour is not BSF's fault, it is your own. You yourself has set the colors that way, and if you want it to stay that way you'll have to use custom colours.

2) Yes. They rotate. Isn't that what turrets are usually supposed to do?

3) The turrets are about 10 times too big to be sane. Look at the size comparison between real world turrets and battleships, then come back.

Even though you have moderatly well done turrets, your other weapons just dangle and will be shot off easily. Your section usage is decent for a newcomer, although sloppy in places, and hideous in others. That, and these huge turrets fire only measly HVR's? Your backstory is...cranky. It doesn't sound very credible. Corporations larger than the UN? Lolwut? Also, why would someone use a WWII gun on a starship? Tech advancement would have rendered your huge and unessecarily heavy guns into peashooters compared to say, Mass Drivers or even modern day Autocannons. Also, 100 METER OF ARMOUR PLATING FUCK YEAH. Nevermind that's 1) overkill 2) wasting resources 3) impossible looking at the scale of the guns. So when I say your backstory is cranky, I'm being gentle.

Fix some of the sloppier section work, reduce the turret size, and you'll have a decent newb ship.

Also, please reduce the size of your ego. Now. it's taking up unessecary space since it has no good reason for existing.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
toothyp1cks
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by toothyp1cks »

ArcaneDude wrote:1) No the colour is not BSF's fault, it is your own. You yourself has set the colors that way, and if you want it to stay that way you'll have to use custom colours.
How did I set the colours that way? More importantly, how do I use custom colours beyond customizing the colours in shipmaker. Do I have to right click on every section and then go to the colour menu and then go to the custom colour menu and then select the colour or is simply selecting the colours off the left sidebar enough and did you mean something I'm yet to fathom.
ArcaneDude wrote:2) Yes. They rotate. Isn't that what turrets are usually supposed to do?
Yes. I was just happy that I got them to rotate so I figured I'd express that hapiness by pointing out that they do rotate.
ArcaneDude wrote:3) The turrets are about 10 times too big to be sane. Look at the size comparison between real world turrets and battleships, then come back.
I know the turrets are big. I made them big because I prefer them that way (it's a subjective thing).
ArcaneDude wrote:Even though you have moderatly well done turrets, your other weapons just dangle and will be shot off easily.
I only put those guns on as an afterthough, not seriously considering it, and fully agree with you. I'll edit it soon so they aren't so awful.
ArcaneDude wrote:Your section usage is decent for a newcomer, although sloppy in places, and hideous in others.
Thank you. Point out examples of the hideousness please (if it's not too much effort) so I can fix it.
ArcaneDude wrote:That, and these huge turrets fire only measly HVR's?
If I could make custom bullet sprites I would but until then I'm stuck with what I can get.
ArcaneDude wrote:Your backstory is...cranky. It doesn't sound very credible. Corporations larger than the UN? Lolwut? Also, why would someone use a WWII gun on a starship? Tech advancement would have rendered your huge and unessecarily heavy guns into peashooters compared to say, Mass Drivers or even modern day Autocannons.
Metal would be in massive demand, mostly because spaceships aren't overly tiny and because most large corporations would want their own private fleets to defend their intrests from piracy. The UN police are spread too thin to do anything serious about piracy. Also, with the isolation planets face the UN can only control the inner sectors of the solar system with any stability so most people have given up on the UN as anything more that a safeguard for the rich who can live close to Earth.
The name of the gun is Schwere Gustav. The version is 7. As in, 7 from first deployment in WWII. So they would have been modified to incorporate tech advancments. The real reason I called them the Schwere Gustav is because in WWII (and probably still today) it was a hugely massive overkill type weapon. I wanted to take that overkillness and transfer it to my guns because I like overkill. And how is 2.8m of artillery shell a peashooter?
ArcaneDude wrote:Also, 100 METER OF ARMOUR PLATING FUCK YEAH. Nevermind that's 1) overkill 2) wasting resources 3) impossible looking at the scale of the guns. So when I say your backstory is cranky, I'm being gentle.
Seconded. Editing soon.
ArcaneDude wrote:Fix some of the sloppier section work, reduce the turret size, and you'll have a decent newb ship.
Examples of the sloppier section work so I know what to fix, no because I like it that way.
ArcaneDude wrote:Also, please reduce the size of your ego. Now. it's taking up unessecary space since it has no good reason for existing.
Done.
ArcaneDude wrote:Welcome and enjoy your stay.
Thank you.
The Baron's Own Police.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

The sloppiest section usage is most present in the repeated sections near the back and the middle and aft side armour. Repetition doesn't look good, not when it doesn't serve a. aesthetic purpose.

To set colours you have to right click, yeah. But what's easier is to set the colours in the sidebar to what you want them to be (not the upper three) (also right click), that way you can color selected pieces far more easily.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
toothyp1cks
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by toothyp1cks »

Thanks. I'll try to sort out the repetition soon.
I used the upper three to set the colours so I'll fix that soon too.
The Baron's Own Police.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

The stretching is bad, the sections are random, the back is epic and should be listed as warning for what not to do, etc etc.
Now on with the constructive criticisme:
The colours are quite nice although the red has more depthing colours to it. And I like the "decal"on the front.
You got the Turrets to work, good for you but as stated before they are too big. Example; if those guns turn to the same side it wrecks the ship. End of coverstation, they won't work. Now I'll most probably get flamed to hell for this but a big of reallisme is usefull.
All guns are ALL forward, not good. Also there are way to much.
Sections look repedative and if that is visible from miniature Screenshots It would look bad at full screen size.
Plz just look at my comment on the other huge(blue) ship and learn from the saying.
And welcome to the forums.

EDIT: WOW most peoply prefer not to think then to say this is good....
Then it really isn't good :roll:
Last edited by maarten on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I actually like the brown version.
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

This is better than my first shot at a Really Big Ship.
Isu
Captain
Captain

Post by Isu »

derekiv wrote:I actually like the brown version.
cmon, it looks really turdish. ive never seen a brown color scheme on a ship ive actually liked. can you think of one?
On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Isu wrote:
derekiv wrote:I actually like the brown version.
cmon, it looks really turdish. ive never seen a brown color scheme on a ship ive actually liked. can you think of one?
Not for you, but HE LIKES IT. Who are you to question what he likes?

[/derail]

The ship, as a concept, is good. However, the shape and execution could use some work. The turrets are too big, and the whole thing lacks real varied section usage. The 'pylons' at the back seem a nice touch to me, but they don't make the ship good. Try again, with more section usage, better shape and smaller turrets.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

By the way has anybody noticed that the brown and red/white ones are differant in armament, the brown one has the armament discribed in the weapon summary, but the red/white has autocannons on the side of the nose. Or is it just me and the bad picture quality?
I just read the story behind the cannons, YEAH RIGHT!!!
DAikum
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DAikum »

"Schwerer Gustav (English: Heavy Gustav) and Dora were the names of the German 80 cm K (E) railway guns."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_cm_Gustav

Its right there ... Simply put, it was a REALLY big gun.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

great big flying space turd :P
Shogoll
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shogoll »

DAikum wrote:"Schwerer Gustav (English: Heavy Gustav) and Dora were the names of the German 80 cm K (E) railway guns."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_cm_Gustav

Its right there ... Simply put, it was a REALLY big gun.
Yeah, but it's hella tiny and weak relative to the majority of weapons used at the supposed scale of BSF ships. At this scale most ships are perceived has having gigaton or teraton range weapons. Whereas the Tsar Bomba, a 54 Megaton nuclear bomb, had an explosive radius of 8 kilometers, a gigaton or teraton explosive weapon would cause enormous explosions generating huge amounts of power, something that the Schwerer Gustav would never be able to achieve.

It just doesn't make sense to mount on a spaceship at this scale.