Ya know, I never did really like energy shields...

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Dessel Ordo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Dessel Ordo »

mind = blown.
would I be presumptuous if I were to suggest a link to this things DL? rot.s have been kicking my ass, so seeing how to make them work would be greatly appreciated (also, I would like to test out this armor for myself)

I also find it funy that you submitted this for ASC... in a good kind of way (then again, the denial post did make the whole situation a lot funnier)
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
Isu
Captain
Captain

Post by Isu »

Hahahaha, this ship is pretty cool... But I see what Arcalane means with the shrapnel-pwn with some well aimed hits. Altogether good quality shipbuilding though.
On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Interesting concept. If something like this was made it could also support heavy weapons spaced around it so that two or three fire then rotate out and reload as the ring rotates and more come into range to fire.

We really need a quality section for making a ring cuz my main problem with this is that the ring is repetitious.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

would you care if i used this general idea on my station? Not thinking a whole ring, but a metal shield that rotates to intercept fire like others have done with energy shields...kinda reverse concept since station would be rotating, maybe nano on inner ring so shield only gets repaired a bit every rotation?
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Wow, I love this positive feedback. I should submit ships more often.
Raul wrote:would you care if i used this general idea on my station?
Go for it. No real need for a copyright, I'm just glad I did it first :)
jwa8402 wrote:Interesting concept. If something like this was made it could also support heavy weapons spaced around it so that two or three fire then rotate out and reload as the ring rotates and more come into range to fire.

We really need a quality section for making a ring cuz my main problem with this is that the ring is repetitious.
I considered mounting weapons on the ring, but that puts them directly in the line of fire. However, doing something similar on smaller rings mounted farther back could be very interesting... I'll look into that.

And yes, we really need a ring section. I almost used an energy shield, but it had the fade on the edge, and it was hard enough using the straight bar pieces to get the ring to be circular.
Dessel Ordo wrote:mind = blown.
would I be presumptuous if I were to suggest a link to this things DL? rot.s have been kicking my ass, so seeing how to make them work would be greatly appreciated (also, I would like to test out this armor for myself)
Thanks!
There will definitely be a download link in the future. It's in my nature that I am never fully done with anything, so there is more tweaking to be done. So yes, expect a download link soon.
Squishy wrote:Novel idea, really. It doesn't HAVE to be a ring, can you try using several straight 'rows' of plates instead?
Again, thanks. As for your idea, please elaborate. I like where it's going. one of my original concepts (which I may be able to do once I figure out triggers) was to have a ship that, when it acquires a target, the sides of it are swung to the front on arms to block incoming shots. So get back to me with that concept, you may be on to something.

Enough quote response from me, I have tweaks to do.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Kai01
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kai01 »

It looks pretty cool, and I think the patch-up system's a great idea.

You could try two layers of counter - rotating armour, moving at different speeds, so it's less likely that two holes will line up at once at the same spot.

Yeah, I've experimented with rotating armour too.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Re: Ya know, I never did really like energy shields...

Post by mtheminja »

Slayer0019 wrote:NOTE: Lets the record show that I was the first to do moving armor for a distinct purpose. Can I get this patented?
Nope, already done. Before BSFCE, even. Still, nice idea with the nano.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

I think I did moving armor on a BSF ship for a boss battle vid. But I used 2 separate ships. This is still a creative idea nonetheless, with the nano and all.

Oh, and I'm back. Hi. (Yes I was unbanned)
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Ya know, I never did really like energy shields...

Post by Slayer0019 »

mtheminja wrote:
Slayer0019 wrote:NOTE: Lets the record show that I was the first to do moving armor for a distinct purpose. Can I get this patented?
Nope, already done. Before BSFCE, even. Still, nice idea with the nano.
Technically no. I saw your rotating station a long time ago. Mine is unique because mine is the first to incorporate the ring on a ship, while yours is on an immobile station. You do get immense credit for creativity, though I believe I pioneered this one. Besides, your armor takes damage uniformly, mine does not, in that in yours, a shot will deal equal damage to the whole layer (or close to it).
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]