Raven's Ships

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Raven Gold
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Raven's Ships

Post by Raven Gold »

ive been playing about in the ship maker, i made these ships, made to be roughly like some ships i made for a sci-fi story of mine. both looks and function.

Excalibur-Class Destroyer:

Medium armour, medium fire power, medium mobility. Works best in small groups of 2 or 3 for attacking larger ships. Also has 4 Nano Matrix units and dence field of flak cannons, making it very resiliant.

---

Gungnir-Class Fire Support Cruiser:

Massive firepower and across field range from the 3 large railguns on the one side, able to take on even the toughest ships, but slow turning rate and movement and less than impressive armour make smaller and more maneuverable ships the biggest threat. No point defences.

---

Mjolnir-Class Battlecruiser:

Lots of firepower, lots of armour. Thick and near-indestructable point defences and 4 Nano Matrix sub systems make it the master of any battle field. Engage in large numbers.

---

like i said, made after some of my own ideas. that can be found here:
http://raven-gold.deviantart.com/

my 1st try at this. hope its good comments and feedback is helpfull.

heres a sandbox screen of all 3 ships with a sun in the BG, hopefully it shows the colour schiemes better than the ship makes ones.
Last edited by Raven Gold on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

The ships are in need of improvement, the coulors mainly. They clash too much. You may want to google a colour wheel and see what colours match.

Also, the shapes aren't too pleasing either. I dislike them personally, although I do prefer alien/organic-like ships.

Look around the forums. Especially at the Holy Ship thread, and build on that.

-Delta
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
Neroman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Neroman »

The colors do need some work.

The Gungnir's rail guns are a bit too stretched.

The ships form is a bit blocky.

I think the Excalibur is pretty good.
[img]http://i19.tinypic.com/6ugnpjm.jpg[/img]
DoomBringer
Commander
Commander

Post by DoomBringer »

All I can say is:

1 Shit color need better cohesion

2 Matrix Spam

3 Fat ugly rails use a different sprite then

4 Rail and PD spam
Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

I'm not going to dice my words here, your ship designs are poor. There's too much section spamming, the colour scheme is terrible, and some sections are badly overstretched (and it shows).

Also, your joins and overlapping are pretty shoddy, especially around the core.

Browse through the 'Shipmaking Info and Resources' forum for tips and advice on how to improve your ships.
Raven Gold
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Raven Gold »

ok so it been a while, ive been playing around alot more in the ship maker and remade my old ships with some mods.

The Excallibur-Class (left) has been upgraded from destroyer to a cruiser all of the flaks have been replaces with 2 point defences and a bunch of MGs.

Mjolnir-Class (right) has a few smaller changes in funtion, flack has been removed for PD and particle guns, overall still the same just about.

Gungnir-Class (above) has been downgraded to a gunboat and the 3 railguns have been swaped for 2 plasmaballers and a single particle gun added.

---

heres 2 other things ive been toiling with, some fan junk for starcraft, a protoss carrier and a terran battlecruiser.

i know there not completely accurate but there close enough so shut up about that.

carrier fleet:

i tried to make the carrier with a similar colour scheme and the same function as the carriers in starcraft. 2 depeter pods each launces 4 (8 total) to stay accurate to game and 8 defectors provide the shields. the stong protoss armour is a whole bunch of small but tough segment on the outside and made some segment with fake blue aegis effect so it looks like it protoss tech.

very durable but lacking somewhat on firepower for blanced play in BSF and 2 pointdefences. also im still tweaking at its looks.

Terran Battlecruiser:

made to follow the over-all hamerhead shape of the terran ship with 8 blaster weapons with the bullet sprites shunk to 0.5 on the Y-axis to make them look narower. two plasmaballs set to fire every 60 seconds recreate the look and effects of the yamoto cannon.

2 MGs and 2 point guards for BSF play. stong plates (in red) along the hammerhead and "wings" but once taken out its a soft target. rear armour also very weak. but compensates with great firepower. from both blasters and plasmaballs.

a simple action shot of the cruiser and carrier, the deflectors on the carrier are coloured cyan and give a cool effect when they start activating one by one.

---

so theres my latest bunch, what you think?

PS. sorry if the pictures stretch.
Last edited by Raven Gold on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isu
Captain
Captain

Post by Isu »

Your terran battle cruiser would get uber-pwned by a true starcraft one.

*goes off to make awesome terran battlecruiser*
On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

Ill say this now before everyone else slams you for it. The use of one section type in the protoss carrier is terrible and really an eyesore. This isnt even about accurate this is about base aesthetics, it just looks bad.

Go and vary the sections you use to create something that looks better, go and download custom sprites to expand SM's capabilities. There is so much more you can do to make a better carrier than what you have now. The terran cruiser looks a bit better, but just cover or replace section 16 with something else. It stands out too much on the design.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

The Excallibur, Mjolnir and Gungnir have gone through major improvements, keep working on them.
Raven Gold
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Raven Gold »

Darkship wrote:Ill say this now before everyone else slams you for it. The use of one section type in the protoss carrier is terrible and really an eyesore. This isnt even about accurate this is about base aesthetics, it just looks bad....
like i said, the carrier is still a work in progress, im creating my own segmented sprites for the outer shell and once im done it should look more like the protoss carriers from SC2.
RandomOne
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RandomOne »

Don't forget that you can press ~ and then 1-4 for more sections in shipmaker.
Good improvements of the Excaliber, Mjolnir, and Gungnit though.
I laughed.
He cried.
I hit him motionally.
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Raven Gold wrote:shipsandwords
>: |

I hate it when someone epic fails at a remake of ships from games i like.
Sorry, that carrier is extremely fail in five ways.
1:spam
2:glowy aegis shit everywhere
3:module spam
4:where did the pd come from?the carrier only fires drones.
5:epic core coloring fail
6:No use of custom sections.

I have problems with the Battlecruiser as well:

1:Flimsy wing attachment.
2:Inaccurate amount of wing attachments.
3: blasters on the side of the neck
4: two blasters on front?
5: No yamato cannon.
6: Double-layering of the front and wings.
7: Epic core coloring fail.
8:No use of custom sections

Edit: Also, the protoss have large shields that cover the entire unit. Use one of the bubble shields, it would be more accurate.
Last edited by Magick on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Magick wrote:
Raven Gold wrote:shipsandwords
>: |

ker-snip
HURR DURR I HAZ DISSATISFIED SMILEY >>>>>::::: |||||

Custom sections are not required, so there goes 1.6 and 2.8 for you. Barely anyone colors their cores since they need to be recolored every time you open the ship in SM. The double layering is called 'ablative armour'. You should try it sometimes.

Otherwise, your points about structure and the module spam are correct IMO.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

ArcaneDude wrote: HURR DURR I HAZ DISSATISFIED SMILEY >>>>>::::: |||||
This just makes you look like a twit. It is unnecessary and it doesn't make me respect you any more.
ArcaneDude wrote:Barely anyone colors their cores since they need to be recolored every time you open the ship in SM.
I was complaining about it because it sticks out like a cold sore and detracts from the (already horrible) looks of the ship.
ArcaneDude wrote:The double layering is called 'ablative armour'. You should try it sometimes.
I don't see why you're fighting me here. It detracts from the look of the ship.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Magick wrote:
ArcaneDude wrote:Barely anyone colors their cores since they need to be recolored every time you open the ship in SM.
I was complaining about it because it sticks out like a cold sore and detracts from the (already horrible) looks of the ship.
Then give him useful advice like 'cover your core', or 'use the core sprite in your misc folder to give the appearance of a colored core'. As it is, most people would assume they can color the core and then get frustrated every time they open their ship.