Random acts of violence with shipmaker

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

FIRST: I heard your little 1pt font comment. :x

SECOND: I thought that it was a terrain object, not a ship section. Besides, how in hell does one attach a planet to a ship? I would think that the laws of physics would, like, explode or something. (May I also point out that if you could attach a planet to a ship, you wouldn't need to because your power/tech is so good that no one opposes you.)
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

VNilla wrote:FIRST: I heard your little 1pt font comment. :x
You were kinda asking for it by making a post like "ZOMG EARTH DOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANT How How?!?!?!1!!1one!1" when the answer is pretty obvious. :|
VNilla wrote:SECOND: I thought that it was a terrain object, not a ship section. Besides, how in hell does one attach a planet to a ship? I would think that the laws of physics would, like, explode or something. (May I also point out that if you could attach a planet to a ship, you wouldn't need to because your power/tech is so good that no one opposes you.)
Um, at humanity's current tech level, we could attach a ship to a planet with weaker gravity than Earth, like Mars for instance. It's called a space elevator.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/space-elevator.htm

I believe what Jwa meant by attaching a ship to a planet was that he could have satellites orbiting around it.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

AidanAdv has it...My intention is to attach it to the core, better term than ship I guess. That will allow for bases and smaller planets to orbit planets. So theoretically you could create an entire solar system that properly orbits it's sun/core as one ship :lol:

Hadn't thought about taking chunks out of it because not sure how to do that in a way that will look good, but I do have some tricks in mind, cities for example.

Actually a good example of a planet ship would be from Andromeda. Don't worry, I'm building it :P
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

AidanAdv wrote:You were kinda asking for it by making a post like "ZOMG EARTH DOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANTDOWANT How How?!?!?!1!!1one!1" when the answer is pretty obvious. :|
Alright, I'll admit I did overdo it a bit. My bad, sorry. I did deserve that (and probably should have omitted the :x .)

(Custom Terrain might be a nice feature though. It would have to be background pics only, but it could work. I'm posting that to the suggestion thread right after this.)

Finally,
jwa8402 wrote:<snip>
Sounds a bit like a Dyson Sphere to me.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Damageable stock ships: I did add a few things and weapons may not be perfectly balanced, but they are essentially stock and as close to the originals as I cared to make them. Others will be released once I finish the parenting.
Hestia (I know the thrusters are retarded, they are fixed in the next version.)
damagable Hestia 1a screenshot
damaged Hestia 1a screenshot
damagable Hestia 1a download
Moira
damagable moira 1a screenshot
damaged moira 1a screenshot
damagable moira 1a download

Mini Fleet
Dreadnought: Only maybe 80% done; it will extend alittle to the rear, vox vocis style, and have one or two small decks at the rear for sensor type towers or a bridge if it looks right. I'm mainly playing around with concepts on this. Its got rotating radar dishes that control WSKR type point defense drones. Also experimenting with windows, but there is a lot of fine tuning to do there I think. Some of the stronger weapons, like the nukes, have limited ammunition. There is a complex frame with detailed sections underneath that becomes visible as the outer armor plates are damaged.

Is this better than the larger one that had all the detailed sections, or am I going in the wrong direction with this look?
*snip*
Last edited by jwa8402 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kestril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kestril »

Danny420Dale wrote:
X-Wing, SW.
Duh.
Nope. Z-95 Headhunter.

Nerdiness aside, these are pretty cool.

It looks fine to me. I actually kinda like it. It's different.
* Posts may not contain the full extent of intellect required
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

There is such a thing as too little detail, you know.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

It's... bizarre. I sort of like the contrasting levels of detail. It's unique and very stylistic. On the other hand, you're abandoning the 'realism' factor, and the fact that there are sections with lots of detail rules out the "tactical display" justification one might pose for the empty spaces. It's definitely neat, but beyond that, I'm not sure what to think.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Sponge wrote:It's unique
You could call it that. It certainly is, though I'm getting the same feeling as when I saw the first ship made from the fraxy sprites. Sure it looks different, but it doesn't really keep with the BSF style.

The windows are a bad idea. Huge weak spots, just begging for depressurization. This is a warship, not a cruise liner (unless you're designing one to be pirate-proof).
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

hmm, I can see that, thanks for all the comments guys. I was actually going for more realistic since real world warships are mostly armor plating and less pipes and such sticking out. I had planned to use decals like the windows to make up for the mono sections. I agree the outer area isn't a great place for windows but i figured it would give it scale.

My feeling is that 'bsfish' is now a relative term, since we can do whatever we want with the game. I may take a break from this for awhile though to make some ships compatible with the metagame. This actually is, size and stats wise, but it would stand out like a sore thumb next to the rest of the fleet. I'll see what I can come up with.

One of the last things I added to it were micro mechs with arms that rotate to target enemie's fire, in place of the rotating drones.
Last edited by jwa8402 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

I'm of the opinion that the weapons are spammy, and indeed the shape seems to have been made to do so. A sleeker design with less weapons would appear more fearsome.

I would suggest in the least staggering the cannons between levels. Such was the practice of even the oldest seagoing vessels with broadside cannon ports: they were never directly above one another in successive levels. This was structural, and tactical, in design, as it allowed for a wider spread.

Truly turrets have destroyed the need for such archaic need of ROWS of guns, but if you must have them, it would look much better if they weren't sitting right on top of each other.

"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

jwa8402 wrote:hmm, I can see that, thanks for all the comments guys. I was actually going for more realistic since real world warships are mostly armor plating and less pipes and such sticking out.

ur ships are quite realistic but on BSF, realism doesn't really matter i guess (does it?)
'Why so serious?' [b]-The Insane Asylum[/b]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

A test for a new style of engines. They go on and off like normal thrust Xs. Credit to Eri for the sprite. If this style looks good, I'll be using it on my next ship. Saw the Millennium Falcon and thought " Gotta have those engines!"

Ship also testing one of them smart shields, which I'm quite happy with because it jumps back and forth between two target's fire. Core energy is not currently active.
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Good engines
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

This was just an attempt at a ship using warning forever type sprites, as well as trying to imitate Slayer's rotating armor idea. Its not done, and I'm not sure I like it because its nothing like what I started out building, but I got further than I thought I would using these sections. Its fully equipped with engines and maneuvering jets but no weapons yet...

The shading isn't quite right because people aren't making their sprites the same shade when they draw them :roll: You wouldn't think it would be that hard to open a stock sprite and sample the color, but a lot of sprite packs are several shades too light...