Random acts of violence with shipmaker

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

yes/no on the nose cannons? How are the engines? The missiles on the spine are mostly placeholder, I'll probably take out at least one more on each side.

maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

jwa8402 wrote:yes/no on the nose cannons? How are the engines? The missiles on the spine are mostly placeholder, I'll probably take out at least one more on each side.

Why not make the back open up and reveal a massive cannon?
Otherwise nose cannons look good, overal colour is way better.
zackfire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by zackfire »

The nose cannons look fine, but I don't think you stuff anything in those front most prongs. The missile launchers look good, but if you're up for it later you could have metal plates cover them until they are fired, so they fit in better. This ship looks so foreign but it's really cool.
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

The hull has too little detail.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well its a wip so I was only just getting to the point where the hull was finalized enough to be adding details... :roll: Images are down while I reorganize my photobucket.

In the meantime, testing out some new sections. The ship is thrown together in five minutes for demo, but I want opinions on the section's viability. These had lots of sectioned areas when I started so I may SW them if I have time.

Last edited by jwa8402 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Your ship looks chopped up by lines. The sections look usable but I think cutting them up into smaller pieces would make them better.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

On the other hand,there aren't a whole lot of really large sections,having them full sized may be good for making large ships while keeping the section count down without having to make compound sections.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

25000st wrote:Your ship looks chopped up by lines.
Um, not sure what you mean here...Do you mean the vertical lines all along the ship? If so, I deliberately was trying to line sections up so maybe I could change that...

Anyway, roughed out some more sections. Credit to Vanguard(I think) for inspiration on some of them. The others I'm not sure because I just found a compilation of ship sections and worked off of those. If I decide to release these I will make more of an effort to find the original designer first. Their still rough, especially the saucer, so I will try to pretty them up later. So far this has 75 sections.

Last edited by jwa8402 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Ok... I definitely like those grilled sections. I could do plenty with those.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

That's just hideous, you know I always supported your style; but that thing really doesn't fit it.
It has ugly stretchy sections, high/low-detail parts(No-detail at some points.)
The lines that are visible on your sections look like they were just necesary to make the general shape work.
And the shape is just bloody awefull, strange angles and out of nowhere comes the big circular thing.

Can't really think of anything more constructive right now, but I'd say kill it!

(Entirely IMO though.)
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

well to be fair, I did say it was just to showcase the sections, but I do see and appreciate your point... Nothing was stretched and those sections were designed independently, and consider it dead, but I'll try to fix them for the next design.

How bout this? Fighter complete with astromech targeting unit. I'll add missiles later.
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

I'd say flip the front wings, or remove them entirely and make it look like a Valkyrie(40K)
But remember to put 2 massive guns under those back wings.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I'd say scrap the whole thing, forget everything you know (or apparently don't know) about shipbuilding, and try looking at the threads of people who've been here for less than a tenth of the time you have, yet already have more skill.

God damn, every time I look in your thread it feels like a visual punch in the gut, and I keep swearing I'll just avoid the hell out of this thread, but I always come back. What the hell is wrong with me?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Anna wrote:God damn, every time I look in your thread it feels like a visual punch in the gut, and I keep swearing I'll just avoid the hell out of this thread, but I always come back. What the hell is wrong with me?
Theres nothing wrong with you. I feel the same exact way. But i keep coming back in hope of seeing some improvement.

Jwa, i mean no offense, but this must be said - you are wasting your time and effort here. You keep churning out new ships, but they are all uniformly ugly, and it doesn't look like this is going to change anytime soon. I don't remember any veteran shipbuilder posting here any encouraging comments either.

Ultimately its your call, but i suggest you drop the whole idea, stop forcing yourself to do your own custom sprites, and try something new. Especially since there is no way these can compete with SW style ships.

In other news, your avatar image is missing.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok so I'll scrap the sections I was experimenting with. Sorry, I really don't have any experience with drawing and I am trying to learn from scratch.

As for the ships, I've tried a wide variety of styles, designs, and experiments with modding them, and gotten very little feedback. Not even 200 comments for over 10,000 views. Kaelis is right that few of the vets post here, and then never more than a line of advice. Maybe I do lack skill Seraph, but would it hurt any of you to actually take a minute and write some useful advice for people less talented than you? I've never had a good eye for colors or shapes but I love this game and am sick of being this forum's pariah.

I'm perfectly willing to take advice on how to improve but neither one of you has ever posted any meaningful advice in this thread. The quality of this forum would improve exponintially if the vets took an active role in teaching new or less talented people instead of mere praise or condemnation. I'll scrap what I have and spend some time lurking, would that be a sound plan to you? I really would like to improve, and I don't take offense Kaelis.
Also I know my avatar and pictures are missing, as I said in the last post, my photobucket is being rearranged.