Random acts of violence with shipmaker

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

qwe2432
Ensign
Ensign

Post by qwe2432 »

Sponge wrote:Trek Ship:
It's a decent start. First major issue I'm seeing is that your color choice is pretty lousy. Especially the puke-esque yellow-green. On the more recent variations, I don't like the empty space on the back of the nacelles. I can't visualize what that would look like in three dimensions, but I'm guessing it would look very bizarre. Next, the saucer shape is off. It's too round, and it's too small. It needs to be sized more proportionally to the rest of the ship (maybe 50% larger?). I'd also recommend making it an ellipse as opposed to the near-perfect circle it is now, but that's secondary. Finally, you've got some "level of detail" errors. By that I mean some areas are utilizing bland, stretched sections, while others are using shrunken sections to create a lot of detail in a small space. Trek ships have a very sleek design style that jagged-edged sections have a hard time capturing. I recommend making custom sections if ever you come on a situation where you would ordinarily need to either stretch or shrink a base section; you'll get a cleaner result.

"New" guy above me:
What are you talking about? You won't get answers if you're vague.
um i mean i can't get my downloaded ships into ship builder or sandbox sorry for being vauge just a little shy for some reason :?
I WANT BIIIIIIG BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
and CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thanks Sponge, I honestly appreciate such specific and useful advice. I will do what I can with it.

qwe2432: Well its usually rather frowned upon to post questions like this in some random person's thread... Your still going to need to be more specific. What do you do to get downloaded ships into the game and how far do you get?

Ships usually come in a .zip file which needs to be opened using 7zip or some other such program. It should contain at least a .shp file, and a .sb4 file if the creator wants you to be able to open it in shipmaker. It should also either come with folders containing whatever custom sprites are used in the ship, or a link to the custom sections thread so you can download them. They need to be put in the custom sections folder with the same name and file path the creator specifies.

Without more information, all I can say is make sure you have the most current version. If you really want help I suggest you post this on the troubleshooting thread.
qwe2432
Ensign
Ensign

Post by qwe2432 »

jwa8402 wrote:Thanks Sponge, I honestly appreciate such specific and useful advice. I will do what I can with it.

qwe2432: Well its usually rather frowned upon to post questions like this in some random person's thread... Your still going to need to be more specific. What do you do to get downloaded ships into the game and how far do you get?

Ships usually come in a .zip file which needs to be opened using 7zip or some other such program. It should contain at least a .shp file, and a .sb4 file if the creator wants you to be able to open it in shipmaker. It should also either come with folders containing whatever custom sprites are used in the ship, or a link to the custom sections thread so you can download them. They need to be put in the custom sections folder with the same name and file path the creator specifies.

Without more information, all I can say is make sure you have the most current version. If you really want help I suggest you post this on the troubleshooting thread.
thanks that helped a lot
I WANT BIIIIIIG BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
and CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Anyway... Wanted to build a ship using more classic sections. Not finalized, this is the prototype.

*edit*
Beta download ready, the first one I've bothered to release in awhile. Its very rough, especially as far as weapons and such, but I've already moved on so I won't be touching it again.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... hip_1a.zip

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The second ship of this style. Haven't added the barrel to the main turret yet, and may use a custom sprite in place of all the machine guns. Also will fill in some of the blank spots; I'm just not done with the sprites yet. Fleet colors will be added once its finished, but I have some shading errors to correct first.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm, thought that would get some criticism for sure... Ok, here is another ship that is a bit larger, only about half done as far as basic structure goes. Please tell me what you think of it.

Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

On this latest ship...

I assume with this being a work in progress that you'll unstretch the sections that look ugly and properly color it along with the glows (which look good, except maybe the fire in the rear).

One thing though, the fact that you have three or four "layers" ending on the same line at the front of the ship doesn't look good. Try "tiering" it.

General shape and the like are very good. Though I'm just glad to see something that isn't another p-brick (anyone else feel like there are more of them these days?). I'm not fond of the antennae on the front of the wings, but I suppose that's more personal taste than quality; still, consider something else there.

-----

On the other ship, the last one posted June First...

The wings in the rear seem too thin for the rest of the ship being so bulky.
Also, the custom sections near the front, with eight guns mounted on them, seem very barren, even with the guns. See about redrawing those sections with some more detail so they don't stick out so much.
Lastly, the variety of glows seems a bit excessive. Consider cutting one and copying on of the others to that spot.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thank you for your criticism, I honestly appreciate it. It is a work in progress though so I obviously will color it and as I said this is only about half the ship which is why its chopped off. Not sure what you mean about stretching though but I am going to swap a few sections out.

On the older ship, I agree about the blank sections. I'm thinking I will make those into steampunkish style armor plates so maybe it will look better.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

jwa8402 wrote:Thank you for your criticism, I honestly appreciate it. It is a work in progress though so I obviously will color it and as I said this is only about half the ship which is why its chopped off. Not sure what you mean about stretching though but I am going to swap a few sections out.
The sections on the outside of the wings are stretched.

Actually, I was fond of the current shape. It deviates a lot from the same old formats that are getting a bit old and tired.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ah yes, I see now. Didn't want them bulging too much but may replace that section all together. Actually your comment on the current shape reminded me that it looks like my old Doru Heavy Destroyer so I may alter the design to keep it like this. Thanks.

Another wip I've been fooling around with, inspired by litany of fury's ships. So far not very successful in emulating him because I don't often use those sections, but I'm working on it.

MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Im no fan of this section usage.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

MelvinVm wrote:Im no fan of this section usage.
I'm no fan of your goddamn useless-as-shit one-liner posts, cut it out or you'll be earning that final warning pretty soon.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hey Melvin, I found you some inspirational art that would work great for your fleet: http://www1.palestar.com/darkspace/imag ... s/UCV1.jpg

Anyway, added to the design, but still have to balance it as a torpedo ship. Really am willing to take criticism but I obviously used what I thought were the best sections in the best way, so just saying their bad without being specific not only makes you sound retarded but also untalented enough to point out which sections might be replaced with what. Try to fail less.

*edit* Also, awesome fireworks are awesome. May spawn a partyboat thread.

Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

That row of small sections running down the center is sorta meh. I'd also say open up the hydraulic section with an image editor, and cut off the little rod stubs it has. They look odd sticking out into space.

Dunno what else to say though.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The weapon placement doesn't seem right. They're stuck on everywhere there was a small gap to fit one, which is good for making them look integrated, but the firing angles seem illogical.