Random acts of violence with shipmaker

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

MelvinVm wrote:With some AI adjustments, and some own doodling about the properties of the ship, ships can hit others by ramming.
Of course, a ship needs a good front if it's made for ramming, like on this ship.
Or you could just, you know, use invisible 1 range weapons with 999999 damage.

Anyway, hammer ship is nice, but the engines look too detailed compared to the undetailed-ness of the rest of the ship.
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Not every ship should be dead by one ramm, though
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

If you keep the ship free of PD and with a relatively low health, and keep the speed reasonable, it should be relatively easy to avoid and destroy.
Last edited by Magick on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

Meaning a very little pee ship can destroy, a battleship for example?
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Also, the sections cut off by the destruction could remove the ramming weapon, or destroy said ship. Besides, who in the right mind would think that a tiny ship could wield a lucky-9 weapon?
Isu
Captain
Captain

Post by Isu »

This brings kinetic missiles to mind.
On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Isu wrote:This brings kinetic missiles to mind.
They don't work that way

KKM's don't use weapons.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'm sorry Marten, I'm not quite getting what your talking about but if you can rephrase, I'd like to understand.

The cutting part is an attempt to emulate the orbital sword but not sure I did it quite right. It activates only when its about to hit a ship so if say, it got rammed from behind by another cutting ship, the hammerhead wouldn't activate. Its definitely not lucky 9 cutting power, when it hits powerful ships it busts a few sections then bounces back or stops. I need to add one of the shield sprites to make the edge visible.

I'll try to fool with the sections on the forward hull...There actually is alot of detail but most of it is too small to be visible in the picture. I actually made about a dozen custom sections to modify existing ones but again, hard to see in this picture. Part of the nose is a section I took apart into three sections and once I color the ship, it will give it a proper sense of depth. I also added angles to them. Some of the other details are radar dishes, tower mounts for the small weaponry, animated generators, and fighters in the bays behind forcefields.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok, beta version is ready for testing. I haven't uploaded a ship since the new version so this is partially to make sure its playable. I had all my sprite paths wrong because I didn't know it couldn't handle more than one sub-folder but I was able to fix it in notepad.

I tried to add as much detail as I could, but if you don't like something or think I should add something more just say so. If I'm not getting much feedback, I assume I'm doing something wrong so any help is appreciated.

Its not especially balanced so ideas there would help too. Weapon sprites are not final, mostly placeholders till I figure out the armament. Thanks!

Download

File extraction should hopefully be straightforward if I didn't screw up.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Did anyone download and try the Aurora?

My half hearted attempt at fraxy. The thingy on top will be replaced, just trying to find the right sections to go together.

Happy birthday to me! I'm officially old as dirt :lol:
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Hmmm, not a fan of that new one, TBH... The shield in particular jusr grates awfully with that ship, and it's not as interesting as the previous one.

The previous one was a bit underdetailed at some points, but it was definetely a good ship, IMO, if only for the good use of custom sections and that shield... Maybe if the switch from the detailed parts to the smooth ones was made a tad better? Also, I LOVE those rocket-launcher covers <3 They're bliss!
Salute otsam ee nashem dedum -
Zahvietum eekh fsigdah vierney.
Tepierre nichtoh, nee astanoivit,
Pabiedney shark, radnoy straney.
Opusau
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Opusau »

I'm-I'm sorry. It's looks like a floating Space Turd with that shield.

I know it's half-hearted, but for your own sake, pick a color that doesn't look like something you'd see when you peer down into the depths of a Port-A-Potty.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

More tactfully said, the shield color doesn't fit. It might be the glow though. Even so, it won't go well with the green and blue.

Otherwise, it's a bricky, bastardly built blob IMHO. I'm just no fan of Fraxy ships, so it's probably me.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Bang Doll
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bang Doll »

My half hearted attempt at fraxy.
T'was a valiant attempt, at least. Looking beyond the odd choice in shield coloration, your section usage and the depthing of the colors works to hide the bricky blobiness somewhat. All in all, I'd say it looks pretty good for what it is. One can't really do a whole lot with fraxy sprites, but you have managed to coax some artistry from them.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ya, was just frustrated with normal parts. Got over it and created this:

The nacelles will probably be streamlined and their colors changed, impulse uses modified fraxy tip, and the phaser ring mostly works like in the show with the beam charging from two points around to a common firing point. Still fine tuning it before posting a firing picture. Haven't decided on what to do for torps yet.

*edit* Also trying to find a way to make shield only visible when it flairs from being hit, like my old aegis shields without the invincibility. Thinking of linking the fade of the shield to the firing of a short range point defense gun. From someone who knows about such things, do you think something like that would work? I don't know anything about triggers really...