Arien Battle fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Primarch
Ensign
Ensign

Arien Battle fleet

Post by Primarch »

hello all of you! Ive been in the making of my own fleet, and this is my first. I was trying to make it a balanced fleet. How well did i do??
Im sort of goin from weakest to strongest.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... mation.rar

The Dart class Interceptor/fighter

Bombard class Long-range fire support

Prent class light patrol craft

Magi class support platform

dino class support platform

Cicada class support gunship

Claw class support gunship

Ram class cruiser

The heavy class Frigate

Destroyer class warship

The Brutal class battleship

The ultima class Battleship

The cerberus class Super-heavy Dreadnought

If some aspect of some ship isnt balanced, or maybe you have some helpful tip, please post it.

Some Arien background later.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Most of your ships seem rather flimsy. Try making them thicker.
Kaelis

Re: Arien Battle fleet

Post by Kaelis »

Primarch wrote:How well did i do??
Weapon spam, lack of color, and general ugliness? Not too well, im afraid. But everyone has to start somewhere...
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

The smallest ships (Dart/Bombard) look ok, they would fit in with the stock ships. The larger ones suffer from module/weapon spam, and the largest ones are rather flimsy. Also, there's no theme binding them all together; it looks like a band of ships randomly selected from all ships in a universe.

Try using modded weapons, or weapon banks if you really want to use this many guns. That way it'll look less cluttered, but still be as powerful.

Also, the name Arien reminds me of aryan somehow, and that's probably not what you're aiming for. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that up, because now everyone will be reminded of it :P
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

start by changing up the color scheme, and reduce or remove the weapons.

In general from colors, try to pick a main tone, a blend tone that is similar to the main, and a highlight tone for a little contrast. A little mind you, don't pair polar opposites on a color wheel.

So, red, maybe either orange or maroon for a blend, and a lighter orange or gray or white for contrast. Just don't use black.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you didn't look around the forums much before posting - I mean, the first few ships are basically stock based designs, and the later ones are the generic 'spam with items' affair everyone starts off doing - apart from those who have a diploma in lurking.

Basic tips: don't be afraid to layer sections - you can get so much more mileage from even just a few sections just by messing around with how much of each is showing. Line edges up with interior details, increase your section count, look at examples on the forum from the older members.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
Primarch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Primarch »

good input.
the answers and explanations are as follows...

The ships might look flimsy, but are (luckily) not really.
The lack of color is that im really bad with the coloring. :D

I was trying to avoid weapon spam with the larger ships, but all that free space intimidated me. Im busy fixing that up.
This is, after all, my first fleet.

i really honestly tried to avoid weapon spam. will try banks of the stuff.
hehehehehe... i sort of made up the ariens years ago for a game i was playing. never even heard of aryans back then :D

I didnt look on the forums before maiing this fleet, so if my ships look sort of generic-y, then i didnt know.

Thanks for the tips regarding my first fleet!