Wherein Zirik tries out the new features

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zirik
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Wherein Zirik tries out the new features

Post by Zirik »

It's been ages since I last posted here.

I put together something with moving parts. I've been meaning to set up the gun-like parts to operate as turrets. I'll get around to it eventually.

I have a few ships with working turrets, but I haven't screenshotted them yet because I'm lazy.
Grenville
Commander
Commander

Post by Grenville »

Its a very impressive ship, good color and design. ^^
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Overall a decent attempt, I bet its really fun to use! Minor nitpick, the kae sec 13s should be moved inward a bit to cover the gaps where the ship opens up. Could do with some detail work on all the tealish parts, like piping or some such.
Zirik
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Zirik »

It actually closes a bit further, eliminating the gap. I was slow on hitting printscreen.

Here's a vaguely coherent fleet put together quickly, as a sort of experimental 'doodling' in the new shipbuilder.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'm liking them, although you should hide or color the thrusters so they don't look like buggy eyes. It would be awesome if that was all one ship that transformed between those looks to serve different functions. A fleet of one!
Zirik
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Zirik »

Yeah, they do look like buggy eyes. I'll hide them if I ever decide to go over these ships again. I did start out with the intention of making the 'wings' retractable on the larger ships, but got distracted by making variants.

I dunno why, but it keeps complaining whenever I make a turret that has other pieces parented to the primary section. The autocannon turrets seen there work fine.
Aederrex
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aederrex »

That last ship looks like it should fly the other way round. Also you hang mini Missile pods the exact same way I do. They just don't look right sitting on top.
Zirik
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Zirik »

And now a bit of playing with rotating stuff. I think I'm getting the hang of this. I went with a vaguely crustacean look, following a similar aesthetic to the first ship in this thread.

The fins slowly open and close, like a sea critter swimming along leisurely. At least, that's the intent. If I decide to finish this ship, I might go over the middle section to cover up the round parts somewhat.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Very nice ships here, original and with good ideas.
Zirik wrote:I was slow on hitting printscreen.
Shipmaker has inbuilt screenshot option, which saves to png by default. You can also capture a set number of frames. Read the documentation for more info.
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

jwa8402 wrote:It would be awesome if that was all one ship that transformed between those looks to serve different functions. A fleet of one!
Hah - this would be genius XD I mean, hard as hell to do well, but awesome non-the-less.

Nice ships generally, and a good start using moving sections. Next step weapon turrets?
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
Zirik
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Zirik »

I'll redo the screenshots using the frame capture when I'm next using my computer.

The last two ships in that series of grey and yellow ships have the autocannon pairs mounted on a circular section as working turrets. So far attempting to build turrets and moving parts with more than one section has resulted in the game complaining. I haven't quite figured out why, as they work fine in shipmaker.