Dynamic turrets!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

D00D!
Commander
Commander

Dynamic turrets!

Post by D00D! »

Since playing around with 0.90a, now with alot less annoying bugs, I have discovered the joys of making over-sized turrets.

That's right people turrets that are made from multiple section and is bigger than any of the weapons you will ever find. But first I will tell you about dymanic turrets.

Dyamanic turrets are a combination of drivered sections and link weapons (and may inculde triggering) to form one big targetting weapon. These may range from very big to itty-bitty. What are dymanic turrets good for then? Aside from looking nifty, its also perfect for dogfightings as the whole section is moving along with the Turrets. Here's an example of a heavy fighter equiped with 2 triple-autocannons and 2 crystal cannons.

Here's it is idle;

But once it spots its targets, the turrets track independant from each other like this.

Oh but you ain't here to see small sized turrets right?

Well I present to you my very own Heavy gattling cannon! (The bullet belt does rotate, problem is I don't know how to make GIFs ;cry;)

And to prove that it actually works, here it is in action!

It's fully functional, if you need it in your ship, load up the file, rename it to whatever you want, set the field to what ever you want and then clone group the master. The master section here is the defualt stock section 13.
Download it here:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... cannon.zip

Just be sure to give credit where credit is due.

(Bear in mind that weapons are secondary to the design of my ship, if there is a long period of time where I don't make new weapons, its because I'm too busy making my own ship!)

Mod Edit: Title fixed because D00D! is a prat. - Arc
Last edited by D00D! on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

Wow, that's actually really cool! Nicely done!

Oh, and it's dynamic, not dymanic.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/bizzarecoyote][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/bizzarecoyote.png[/img][/url]
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

nice ship, too
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Nyme
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Nyme »

Nice.

The real reason for my post, though, is to point out that it is not Manvor, it's Mavor. As a fan of Supreme Commander, I'm looking forward to seeing that.
CmdrTimo
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Location: In the restaurant on the end of the universe. (or Seattle)

Post by CmdrTimo »

Dam, every time I load the "Heavy Gatling Cannon" in the Sandbox, the game gives me an error. I'm guessing because I'm using Vista.
Nice idea anyway.
"War: The mad game the world loves to play." ~Jonathan Swift

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."-Chesty Puller
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Gatling gun, bottom half, center of the belt:

There's a section that's off, it's rotated almost 90 degrees clockwise of where it should be (though it also shouldn't be there).
Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

CmdrTimo wrote:Dam, every time I load the "Heavy Gatling Cannon" in the Sandbox, the game gives me an error. I'm guessing because I'm using Vista.
Nice idea anyway.
I get an error, too. Something like "unknown variable tr_on" or something.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Killer wrote:I get an error, too. Something like "unknown variable tr_on" or something.
You have an old version of BSF.
CmdrTimo
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Location: In the restaurant on the end of the universe. (or Seattle)

Post by CmdrTimo »

Kaelis wrote:
Killer wrote:I get an error, too. Something like "unknown variable tr_on" or something.
You have an old version of BSF.
I got the same error too, and I have BSF .9 . This is the same problem I have in the thread Q&A of parenting a section to a rotating section.
I will shut up now due to my off-topicness.
"War: The mad game the world loves to play." ~Jonathan Swift

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."-Chesty Puller
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

CmdrTimo wrote:I got the same error too, and I have BSF .9 . This is the same problem I have in the thread Q&A of parenting a section to a rotating section.
I will shut up now due to my off-topicness.
But do you have version 0.9a?
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

Fixed some of the issue with the gattling cannon, I'm also bundling in a readme so that people will know how to trigger/drive/link the turret properly.
Also finish the trigger actions of the bulletbelt, I added it as an optional touch. If you wish to make the bulletbelt turn only when shooting, link the center circle within the belt to the gun using on trigger 1. More details in the read me.

Making the Mavor was easier than I thought, I'll be updating soon, give me half an hour and I think I can finish these babies.

Oh yeah, if possible, I would like to write a guide in the shipmaker resource forums on how to make the more complex turret so I don't have to keep adding read-mes in the files.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

D00D!
Commander
Commander

Post by D00D! »

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!

I present the most badass turret currently made in BSF: The Mavor Cannon.
*Cue Drum roll*
The screenie here have some minor problems that are fixed now.

It's fully rotational, fires a big ass round over massive distances and nukes things into sinders. Dude, it even recoils!

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Cannon.zip

Always give credit where credit is due!
Currently working on:

Giles
Commander
Commander

Post by Giles »

Dear god that is amazing in game.
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

*Bows down to worship new god*
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/bizzarecoyote][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/bizzarecoyote.png[/img][/url]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

hmm that should work nicely as the point defense on one of Anna's new ships j/k. That is incredible and I am loading it in game now. You are the master of turrets!