Velian faction navy (let's try this...:)) [Updates!]

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Velian faction navy (let's try this...:)) [Updates!]

Post by Elias_The_Crimson »

(First ships since "Zeus", first try with new shipmaker, first fleet, first try with custom sprites, first everything, be gentle please :))

Velian faction - Backstory (written freely based off BSF game lore):

After the Terran federation has secured their position in the galaxy and established the society they have today, certain political powers within the union began pulling in different directions. The Velian faction, having been united with the Terrans up until now, broke loose from the Union. After a mostly peaceful political coup the Velians withdrew their navy from Terran control and set course deep into uncharted territory outside of the galaxy.

After having lost all communications with the Velians for many decades, the faction was believed to be lost and no longer existent.
However, now when the Terran federation faces the threat of the uprising Nanz, the Velian faction has reappeared to support their brethren with their navy, vastly unlike the navy that once left the Terran federation.

Civilization development:

In it's adventurous quest for new worlds and technology the Velian has taken over territories from conquered civilizations and now methodically begins building an empire in a distant galaxy and initiated trading with the Terrans. Infrastructure and industry has been developed primarily to support production and continued development of the Velian fleets, with mining operations on asteroids being the most important source of income and material.

Velian technology development:

The Velian navy that set out deep into unknown regions of space was indistinguishable from what the Terran navy looked like at the time, but has since developed along a different technological branch than the Terrans as a result of their encounters of strange Alien civilizations.

The Velian faction utilized its military force to aggressively push into alien territory and seize other civilizations. Over time, they adapted their navy into a hybrid between old Terran/Earth-like technology and biological engineering & energy principles of Alien origin, derived from the civilizations they conquered.

Some examples of major ship engineering advancements based off alien technology include the Bio-Core - A semi-organic energy source generating vast amounts of power of somewhat biological essence. Velians has taken advantage of this by making current technology such as shield generators, guns and modules compatible with this bio-technology, making them very effective and reliable. For instance, if power supply to a certain ship section fails due to hull damage, the current can instantly be rerouted through other organically enhanced parts of the ship.
(hint - The manifestation of Bio-Core technology is supposed to be the blue "energy" display on thrusters, shields, doodads etc).

Generally, the Velians have found a middle-ground in alien biological enhancements to old technology. The majority of their weapon systems are based off Earth-like technology, more than often featuring fast-moving physical projectiles and explosives, such as machineguns and artillery. These types of weapons has proven to be the most effective measure against the kind of alien civilizations encountered.
The absence of contact with the Terran federation has resulted in almost complete abolishment of beam-technology. Neither developing beamers nor defense against such has been given any high priority in the Velian's undertakings, and it is not until now, when they return to fight alongside with the Terrans, that this "Achilles-heel" has been revealed.
The Velians are still battling with this issue.

The navy (still in development):

"Stingray" class battlecruiser:

The mainstay commander ship of the Velian navy. It's designed to lead large Velian fleets into clashes with enemy bases or fleets.
It features a large number of cannons designed for delivering overwhelming fusillades of physical anti-hull projectiles at high speeds, effective for penetrating defensive systems by force and eating armor off from pirate and alien vessels.
The two automatic artillery turrets nestled behind the shields are used for delivering powerful punches to ships and battle stations at very long range, and the high speed of the shells make them difficult to intercept.
The Stingray is the first ship to feature highly modified impeder technology enhanced and powered with a powerful Bio-core. It acts as a spherical shield around the ship, abruptly slowing down most types of incoming projectiles. The Bio-core shielding device make the Stingray near-immune to blasters and tachyons, granted for as long as the Core can keep up with the vast energy demand for sustaining the field.
Because of the shield, point defense has been reduced in favor for more offensive turrets (mainly machineguns, also enhanced with the Bio-Core).
The shield does not affect beam-weapons fire.
Image:
---

"Serpent" fighter/light destroyer

A rather small but agile and durable craft, the 'Serpent' is the most common type of ship used for intercepting enemy vessels. Their light armament consists of merely a pair of particle cannons mounted to the wings, as well as an machinegun turret (with enhanced ammunition) for defense, but it is effective in delivering the punch and the ships' swiftness makes it highly useful for flanking and hit-and-run.
Image:
---

"Shield deployer" support ship

A small vessel equipped with a single Bio-Core, which powers an impeder-shield generator device (enhanced range thanks to external antennae), as well as a modified nano-matrix. It is used - no surprise - to generate the strong shield-like field for protecting both military and civilian fleets, in addition to repairing nearby ships.
Since virtually all power generated by the Bio-Core is channeled to the shield and the nanomatrix, the ship carries no offensive value and is slow and extremely vulnerable, albeit the shield grants immunity to projectiles up to a certain point.
Image:

"Wurm" interceptor

The "Wurm" was primarily designed as an aero-dynamic combat aircraft for use in planetary raids on alien homeworlds rather than as a spaceship, but has since proven to be a quite useful interceptor in zero-G as well.
It carries twin Hi-caliber AP Chainguns mounted on the wings, and short-range HE missiles in its internal bay. The fixed positions of the guns allows for a fast ammunition feed, which allows the Wurm to unload a considerable amount of AP rounds as it sweeps across a target.
Wurm interceptors carry no defense systems, but makes up for their low survivability and overall damage output with cheap production costs and high effectiveness in squadrons.

---

[[More updates to the shipyard on the way]]

Velian fleet division consisting of a Stingray battlecruiser, group of Serpent fighter-destroyers, and a shield projector support ship:

----

Heh so there it goes, my first attempt at a fleet. C&C welcome =)
Yeah yeah, maybe my design skills are probably sub-standard in the eyes of most, but hey, one can always improve!

I'll add the rest of the fleet ships I've made so far once my fingers cease to hurt after the creation of this topic ^^

EDIT 1: Bah, I have already taken pictures and such of the two remaining crafts so I might as well just throw those up. Ill get new images once I'm done with the new paintjob... ^^

EDIT 2: Recoloring done... thinking about making a Carrier-kind of vessel for Serpent fighters... sounding good?
Last edited by Elias_The_Crimson on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

They look okay, but please color them.
Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hmm... If there's one thing I never quite understood it's why the stock colors are feared like rabies :?

But I guess you're right, I'll change the paintjob. Should all standard green colors (I.E the player ID colors...) be replaced with unique colors, or what do you mean more specifically, please? :)
Kane
Commander
Commander

Post by Kane »

Elias_The_Crimson wrote: But I guess you're right, I'll change the paintjob. Should all standard green colors (I.E the player ID colors...) be replaced with unique colors, or what do you mean more specifically, please? :)
Change the paint job as in,
Oh, Lets put some purple on it!
But please don't do that. As in make a specific color for your race and adapt around that specific color. Stock is feared for unknown reasons, but some say that it will start zombies on if you use it too much! (And thats why TH15 is in a bunker right now...)
[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg43/Kane_Lives/BSFS1.jpg[/img]
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

People don't like the stock colors because they show that the ship builder chose to completely ignore one very important aspect of design.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

I suggest you keep some of the green and use them as house or faction colors, while the rest is colored
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

I suggest you add at least one heavier aft-facing weapon to your BC. Otherwise, it'll get butt-raped by anything that's fast enough to get behind it.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ODST wrote:I suggest you add at least one heavier aft-facing weapon to your BC. Otherwise, it'll get butt-raped by anything that's fast enough to get behind it.
I've considered adding a rear dual blaster, but I am unsure of how it will affect balance. The ship is indeed meant to be slightly weaker to the rear, but considering the impeder shield I'll have to conduct some more testing on that ;)
Kane
Commander
Commander

Post by Kane »

I've seen a ship that looks almost the same as the BC

dez-vu!
[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg43/Kane_Lives/BSFS1.jpg[/img]
Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Alright, finally got my thumb out and gave my race new colors. You'll have to help me decide if this "works" or not, I don't really know. Aiming for a theme that suits the hull technology described in the OP anyhow.
I left some parts of the ship to go with player color. Again, I don't really know what parts to leave open for those colors, so... meh?

Updated the OP with new shipbuilder shots, too.
Please tell me what you think! :)

Added a download just incase... ^^
http://filesmelt.com/Filehosting2/downl ... ile=Velian navy.rar
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

The support struts for those shield wings on your BC look kinda flimsy to me. I'd suggest making them beefier.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ODST wrote:The support struts for those shield wings on your BC look kinda flimsy to me. I'd suggest making them beefier.
I'll try and see if I can find some custom section that suits it better! I wasn't aware of that custom sprites were available, heh :)
Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

New ship for the Velian navy:

"Wurm" interceptor

The "Wurm" was primarily designed as an aero-dynamic combat aircraft for use in planetary raids on alien homeworlds rather than as a spaceship (hence it's wings), but has since proven to be a quite useful interceptor in zero-G as well.
It carries twin Hi-caliber AP Chainguns mounted on the wings, and short-range HE missiles in its internal bay. The fixed positions of the guns allows for a fast ammunition feed, which allows the Wurm to unload a considerable amount of AP rounds as it sweeps across a target.
Wurm interceptors carry no defense systems, but makes up for their low survivability and overall damage output with cheap production costs and high effectiveness in squadrons.

Please give C&C :)