The Shattered Earth (small update page 2)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Shattered Earth (small update page 2)

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Now intended as a multi-fleet log: for a rough outline of the fluff, see below

All the ships originally commented on have been removed

Hi

After having a look around the forums I think I have enough half-acceptable ships to maybe start trying to design a fleet around them. I realise there's a huge amount I can improve on here, which is primarily why I'm creating this log, in order to improve my skills as a ship builder, mostly on larger ships.

This will be the first fleet of several built around a bit of fluff I;m thinking of, based around a large human confederation, shattered by some great cataclysm, and blown back to the dark ages technologically: various different factions have, over the millennia, advanced back to a level of technology comparable to pre-cataclysm times, and encountered each other, resulting in conflict, as newly formed and differing social, economic and religious ideals clash.

The Oligarchy of Praag

This is the fleet of one of these offshoots, and here are the few ships I have so far.

Blade Class Interceptor:
Most often given to the command of junior officers wishing for promotion, as the rewards for returning alive from a sortie in a Blade are high, in direct proportion to the chance of dying.

Sickle Class:
A heavily armed corvette, intended to engage the enemy head on at relatively short range

Scythe Class:
A lighter variant of the Sickle class, armed with twin heavy lasers and dual railguns, intended for long range support

Lance Class Gunship
Built off a light-cruiser hull, the Lance has been redesigned to mount weapon capacitors which would not be out of place on a battlecruiser. The result is that it is able to provide a devestating long range barrange, but at the cost of speed, agility and point defence, although it is just able to hold it's own in a close range firefight.

The Terran Confederation
The remnants of the original confederation, they are the only faction with any pre-Cataclysm technology remaining. However, after the panic preceding the Cataclysm, society was rent by disorder and, later, opportunistic raids from secessionist systems on the rim of their remaining territory. The knowledge of the initial construction and maintenance of the mighty pre-Cataclysm behemoths was lost, and rational thought and experiment gave way to superstitious paranoia about technology, and most pre-Cataclysm technology is revered as a religious artefact, and it is only in moments of need that the full fleet is utilised, at other times, the ships sit in drydock, slowly deteriorating, maintained by mechanics who don;t understand the technology, and crewed by officers who don't know how to fully control them. The majority of the Terran Defense Fleet is composed of cheap, mass produced frigates and destroyers, armed with primitive weaponry, and lightly armoured, with only basic deflector technology for protection. What they lack in strenght, hover, they make up for in numbers.

Eurasian Systems LS17 Sloop
Armed with 2 missile launchers, a rapid fire cannon, and two point defense guns. A staple of the fleet, it is designed for close range support, overwhelming enemies' defenses with barrages of missiles in large numvers

Eurasian Systems LS24 Destroyer
Heavier than the LS17, this light destroyer hhas two large and (relatively) advanced fission reactors in offboard nacelles, powering the main deflectors and beam weapon (one of the few examples of energy weapons in TDF fleet). However, despite being the pinnacle of post-Cataclysm technology, it is still outperformed in every area by any other faction's comparable ship.

Anyway, please, rip these to pieces as much as is necessary.
Thanks!
Last edited by Whyarecarrots on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

the black is very hard to see.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Whatever format you're using for your pictures, it's horrible. The colors have been raped beyond imagination. The only thing i can comment on is the extremely horrid color scheme you're using(Light blue with blue with near-black red?).
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

the detail on the dark blue section is lost. It looks like a blue and black static screen in a particular shape. I think you ended up using repeated shapes and then enlarging them to hell, right? That caused the loss of detail.

I like the smaller ships, save the color.
Last edited by Krishach on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Think more about what sections you are using. Make them fit together. The way sections run into each other can be more pleasing to the eye than the overall shape of the ship.

Your color scheme is extremely grating on the eyes and is basically terrible. Look at a color wheel or pick a pastel color + shades of gray.

Alien words with apostrophes in them are always lame.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I've told you a gazillion times to use .PNG formats. These screens are gritty and horribly deformed.

I can't really comment on section usage, since it's hard to define indivdual sections in there, but there does seem to be a lot of repetition, and I'm no fan on the colorscheme.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

From what i can see, these look like Eye Burn's ships.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Magick wrote:From what i can see, these look like Eye Burn's ships.
QFT. :?
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Hmm, ok, that was more painful than I was expecting...

And about the names: The initial name (the cruiser) was taken from a Games Workshop Battlefleet Gothic rulebook, and I tried to carry on with that name style: I accept that it hasn't really worked (I can;t think up names to save my life)

Back to the drawing board methinks.

edit:
Reply to more specific questions:
Krishach wrote:the detail on the dark blue section is lost. It looks like a blue and black static screen in a particular shape. I think you ended up using repeated shapes and then enlarging them to hell, right? That caused the loss of detail.

I like the smaller ships, save the color.
Yep, I was enlarging a lot, mostly as I wasn't sure how else to increase the size of the ship, although I was trying to use the enlarged pieces only for the backbone of the ship. And the blue is fine on my screen, but I see what you mean about the colours
Magick wrote:Whatever format you're using for your pictures, it's horrible. The colors have been raped beyond imagination. The only thing i can comment on is the extremely horrid color scheme you're using(Light blue with blue with near-black red?).
I'm changing the photos to .png files now. The first post will be edited ASAP
Sorry about not having them in that format to start with: my only excuse is absent-mindedness in not realising I had to change the file type in paint.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Don't know why, but I like these thips, especially the last two-three. They look wrong, but in a right way... :lol:
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Thanks Malahite... I think :? ;)

Right, I've had a go at redoing the Corvette.

Sickle Class:
A heavily armed corvette, intended to engage the enemy head on at relatively short range

Scythe Class:
A lighter variant of the Sickle class, armed with twin heavy lasers and dual railguns, intended for long range support

Are these any better?
Thanks!
Last edited by Whyarecarrots on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Very much. The weapons make sense for the roles, too.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

That's a huge improvement. An acceptable color scheme, a cleaner layout.
Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Thanks guys :)

Is there any further advice you could give me before I move on to redoing the destroyer? Or should I just try and do the same sort of thing?

Thanks!
Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Added an updated version of the interceptor: I changed the weaponry to mirror the Zelus, as I liked the ability of that ship to fire everything on the move, and my experiments with beams and blasters and flanking AI seemed to result in the ship firing far too infrequently to be effective.

Blade Class Interceptor:

edit: Ignore the mirroring errors:they;ve been removed, but it's too late for me to be bothered to get a new screenshot just now.