UPDATED creation, need constructive input (still)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Krishach
Commander
Commander

UPDATED creation, need constructive input (still)

Post by Krishach »

Newest stuff is at the bottom.
Last edited by Krishach on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
RAA!
Ensign
Ensign

Post by RAA! »

Omg weapons everywhere! *xplodes*

Edit: Ahh! I love the rainbow one!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Shark_W/OMGWTF.jpg[/img]
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

I actually have not figured out how to manually rotate or change the size of a piece. These were all stocks, with the right-click rotate vert and horiz used. If someone could point me a link to make the nifty sprite effects, moving parts, and angled pieces I keep seeing, I'd be grateful, but until then, its straightforward.

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

The fact that you had to remove weapons for us to see the ship says something significant: there are too many. Use weapons sparingly and mod as necessary. Read all of the wonderful guides that Arcalane has painstakingly compiled. In general, start small and don't try to build a galaxy conquering death ship while you're just getting the hang of shipmaker.

As for that ship specifically, try to repeat sections less and use fewer weapons.

I actually have not figured out how to manually rotate or change the size of a piece. These were all stocks, with the right-click rotate vert and horiz used. If someone could point me a link to make the nifty sprite effects, moving parts, and angled pieces I keep seeing, I'd be grateful, but until then, its straightforward.
PRESS F1 TO SEE ALL OF THE HOTKEYS
how you could possibly miss it is beyond me, but READ IT!
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

actually, because it crashes when I push F1. Sorry. It worked once and I couldn't see it because of monitor rez, and I just never went back due to the crashes. I'll try to reinstall. The weapons are just cosmetic, then for showing ships?

I'll get a screenshot of the error next time it happens. Is there an online list of the keys?

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

you can also get to that same manual by following the link in my post above, or going to the section of the forum with all of that help stuff in it.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

Ahh, the shipmakers manual. Got it. Thank you, that will help. Also, I really like the way the outer "arms" play out with the ridge spines. I cannot think of anything off the top of my head to replicate the effect, so let me mess around a bit. Weapons definitely got out of hand in hindsight; they look much nicer when they are firing. I'll update it tomorrow. Thanks.

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Link that Firestorm posted leads to an outdated manual. Here is the new one:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3494
apotheosi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apotheosi »

mrr....the colouring is definitely something else i guess.
in insanity, everything makes sense.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

Your guess is probably better than mine. The actual editor shades were blue, blue/violet, cyan, and white, with only the tiniest exception on the wingtips. It floresces like that during play, which I quite like.

Also, it DOESN'T do that with other ships. It is weird when you think about it.

Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

new version:

Image Image

Not really good on using too many weapons as cosmetic additions, so I left most of them off for now. Made a 2nd series based on advice given here on varying pieces. The body and lines are thinner, excepting the backward flanks. The inner "arms" I thinned out. The outer "arms" are completely redone, and hopefully for the better. I put a blue crossbar piece on there and it doesn't stand out enough. Additional feedback is still much appreciated.

Also made some slight modifications on the original, which I still sorta like. I'll poke and prod it to get rid of the similarity between repeated parts, but I like the curving of the outer "arms" a lot, as well as the ridge texturing on the back side that particular piece gives when repeated. I'll do an overlay to keep it from seeming so samey.

Any thoughts on where to put what weapons aesthetically would also be helpful, as well as any other ideas for the thrusters. Sorry for any newbie questions, and thanks you for the help.

Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

Well, another n00b symptom; all that previously was made in 0.89b

Here is the remake for 0.90, and I hope its getting better. Still few weapons, though, since I haven't figured out what I want where. Suggestions are still requested and welcome, good or bad. Yay for .sb4

Image Image

Burg Hammer Achtzehn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Burg Hammer Achtzehn »

I noticed some faulty parenting on the back of the ship, but it should be fairly obvious where it is.

Nice use of doodads on the inward-facing spikes.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

I actually really like the design, work on the execution a bit and you will have something special here.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

@Burg
ACK! I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out! Fixing...

@Slayer0019
Thanks. Any suggestions? I've still got to weapon this badboy. I wanted the doodad effect on the arms to be like an electrical arc, and collect to a Tesla on the end