UPDATED creation, need constructive input (still)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Most of your ships have nice shapes, and the continuity between different ships is well done, but all this section stretching is just ruining them. Half the ship is fine and the other half is all blurry and stretched. This is probably the most common problem I see with ships posted in this forum.

Before this release a little stretching here and a little there was acceptable. Now we can make custom sprites. If something doesn't fit, don't stretch it; edit it.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

it looks better on the right, sandbox, than in front. I'm going to redo the front blades, but I'm not sure how yet. Any suggestions for a back end that actually LOOKS like trailing tentacles?

I agree, Kaelis, I know what I'm trying to get to, but its not coming together cleanly.

Also, I am beyond beginner when it comes to editing pictures for pieces in this, and the tool I have is Paint. If anyone could suggest a free editor thats user friendly for beginners, I'd appreciate it, and try to make cleaner pieces.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Krishach wrote:Also, I am beyond beginner when it comes to editing pictures for pieces in this, and the tool I have is Paint. If anyone could suggest a free editor thats user friendly for beginners, I'd appreciate it, and try to make cleaner pieces.
Paint is glorious for pixel editing. Simply stretch the ship parts by scaling them in there, then go in and find the "doubled pixel" areas and trim them down.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I like the intertwined part on the back when the glow is on. I don't like the really detailed part on the center. It doesn't fit the curvaceousness of the rest of the ship.

(I was going to say curvy but spell check said it wasn't a word)
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

I need to clean up the back I think, but I like the look. Whatever represents the "cutting" blades I wanted to be like immense vibro-blades, but they all pixelate. I'll try paint out with these pieces to clean it up. Does the back end needs cleanup too I think, but that... I am at a loss on how to replicate the tentacle effect, so I'll wing it I guess. Thanks for the compliment, and I'll keep working at it.

All in all, despite quality, it was something I made in 30 minutes, on drugs. I'll keep working on it.

Side question: my attempts at adding .png's and .gif's have failed: would someone kindly link to the material on what I'm missing? If its the Sprites naming convention, I read that...
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]