The Evolution of scale

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

So what's your evolution of scale?

Small>Medium>Big
10%
Small>Big>*New style*Small>*New Style*Big> And so on
15%
Random, I scale it at whatever I please
60%
Small> *More details* Smaller> *More Details* Smallest
5%
Big>Bigger>Biggest>Really really really Big>GameCrashingly Huge
5%
Never bothered, ships are always at the same scale
5%

Total votes: 20

D00D!
Commander
Commander

The Evolution of scale

Post by D00D! »

Since taking a break from making ships, I took time to reflect on my shipbuilding styles and wondered, is bigger better?

Over time my ships have grown bigger and bigger as my dilligence and paitence matured. I placed more details, took more time to make each as unique as possible.

I understand that not everyone is the same as me so I would like to conduct a poll to see how everyone's building scale. Do you build bigger ships as you become more skilled? Or do you build smaller ships but with more details? Or do you start out small for a certain style then grow bigger?

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, let me dig up one of my older generations of ships as an example.

Both ships are destroyer class but they are both vastly diffrent in size. The rest of the fleet ;fighters,battleships,dreadnought are also diffrent in size comapred to older generations

So in a sense, I make bigger ships as I get more experience. What about you guys?
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

In my case size is relevant only to scaling amongst fleets or to match a particular vision. The detail is what matters which is why I, and many others I've seen return to old designs to use incorporate new skills in building them.
D00D!
Commander
Commander

Intresting

Post by D00D! »

Intresting. Usually when I discover new techniques/skills, I often have the desire to see how far I can take it. That's most likely the reason why I keep building bigger ships

I suppose its not really pratical and useful to keep uping building bigger and bigger ships. There comes a point where you have to stop, namely when even your fighter starts crashing the game.
Avatarless and proud of it! And being really crazy and screwing everything conventional!
Currently working on:

The largest transforming mecha EVAR!
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

My scales are to match my fleet. Some time in the future I want to make a fleet where each ship has less than 20 parts. Big ships are fun, but they take a really long time to make.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

I never have the patience to build something big, actually I rarely have the patience to build something small...
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

Da_Higg wrote:I never have the patience to build something big, actually I rarely have the patience to build something small...
Oddly, I feel the same way. So I've already migrated from "small" through "medium" into "big" and soon will hit "really really really big."
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Occasionally, I build for an hour and then say "Holy shit, thats big!" Once, when I built a ship, I decided to make it huge, but it turned out small, due to the fact that I zoomed in all of the way. Its the only time that ever happened, but I still laugh.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

I started small, somewhat bigger than stock sizes though. As I developed a faction the ships got bigger very quickly. My 10th ship or so soon reached the limits of the SM2 Maker. Now all my ships are on the large side as ships go these days. I just found that for the particular style I'm looking for, I can achieve more detail, depth and texture with larger ships than if they were say, stock sized.