Small-time Lurker wants ship criticisms

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Razin
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Small-time Lurker wants ship criticisms

Post by Razin »

So, after lurking for a while, and figuring out most of the more obvious tricks to using the ship maker, I decided to try my hand at making one of my own. Since this ship will be the centerpiece of the hypothetical fleet I'll hypothetically make, I figured it couldn't hurt to have some healthy criticism. Please ignore the minor symmetry issues with a few of the Demeters and thrusters, I'm still trying to fine-tune those.

As far as balance goes, the Aegis spam at the front is (hopefully) balanced by the fact that the presence of enemy flak support dramatically reduces it's all-drone offensive abilities, and I went and reduced the overall HP by 100, to make enemy flanking maneuvers more damaging. In addition, the struts that support the Aegis fields are also structurally important for the wings. If one of those beams goes, I lose most of the wing.

Ideally, the ship is meant to act as cover, drone, flak support (the flak guns are on the shielded parts, should I move them?) and on-site repair for the other ships of the fleet (I intend to make them more fragile) .

As far as questions go, could anyone tell me which custom stats I need to change on the demeters in order to get them to launch more then one drone, so that I can reduce my launcher spam?
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

All that aegis may be balanced to something if you've done a good job, but as far as looks go it's rather damaging. If you insist on using so much of it, it might be best to change the color to black or something else that's more eye-friendly. :|
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Wuggles
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Wuggles »

Well I have to say I love the shape of the whole design, very sting-ray like. The Overlaping of the aegis fields isn't as pretty looking though. Perhaps you could clean that part up a bit. The color scheme is very nice and really bring attention to the center, which I like. Your section usage is very ascetically pleasing. Overall I'd say, although I am in no way an authority on ship making, its very nice. But, like I said, maybe the aegis shield could be done to make it a tad prettier.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

EEEEEEEEEEE. The aegis is hurting my eyes. Needs less aegis. Besides that, not bad.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Razin
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Razin »

OK, so I toned down the Aegis colors (I just managed to figure out how to do that :roll: ). I also flipped the second to last wing sections so they fit better, which I think helps a bit. Any other comments?
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

It's still a wanker of a ship. I suggest removing the aegis deflectors and buffing the HP of the front sections if you want a cover/shield ship. That or replacing the aegis deflectors with normal deflectors, or reducing the amount of aegised sections.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

Make the aegis have a lower hue the farther down ( or up?.. ) the screen...Urgh I can't explain for shit.
Razin
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Razin »

Nabaco wrote:Make the aegis have a lower hue the farther down ( or up?.. ) the screen...Urgh I can't explain for shit.
Do you mean make it less bright the further it gets from the center?

As for using normal deflectors, I figured that that would result in the protection jumping around to whatever was being shot, not staying solely on the sections I wanted. I might try the higher HP thing...hmmmm....
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

As for using normal deflectors, I figured that that would result in the protection jumping around to whatever was being shot
Sort of. They're supposed to activate and shield whatever's being shot at, although they don't seem to be able to switch targets until they're discharged. That is to say, that's how they're supposed to work. In reality they sort of do this, but on the other hand about a third of the time they keep shielding the opposite side of my ships than the one getting shot at. I've found that they're okay for general defense, but if you're looking for anything specific like your "shield umbrella" they're probably not the way to go.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Warrior of Anarchy
Commander
Commander

Post by Warrior of Anarchy »

The front armor is a bit repetitive but for this ship type it is ok. And with the ageis change some to reflectors and remove 6 of the ageis and put 4 ageis sections behind main shield
maarten
BANNED

Good starter

Post by maarten »

I think the ship looks pretty good, even with all the aegis. Not that I like super overpowered shields, but if you look at the armament this thing is pretty weak for something this size and flanking it wouldn't be too hard anyways. (or shoot railguns/shield passers at the funarable parts.) Overall this is one of the better starters.(Not counting the Necrid they are just far beyond newbie ships.)
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

I think if you rearrange the shielded pieces, you could keep the shield the same size with less parts. That would make it look less jagged in some spots.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Atrum
Captain
Captain

Post by Atrum »

Vary the shield pieces. Currently, you're spamming the same section for the shield umbrella...Dosen't make it look very fluid.
TheShipwrightArms
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by TheShipwrightArms »

I thought this ship was more interesting when I thought the front was at the top and the back at the bottom. Didn't know what all the aegis was supposed to be but overall I liked it.
Razin
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Razin »

Added a Hestia for size reference.

Here's what it looks like after changing the shield sections around a bit. Is the transition between the pronged section and the wing-tip too jarring? I thought it was passable, though I imagine it could be better. I'm also going to have to work out that mirroring error poking out from under the nose, that I didn't notice till the shield was reduced a bit.

Judging from the lack of comments regarding my weapons, am I not, infact, being too spammy with my Demeters?

(Thank you all, by the way, for the comments)