Fleet Formation (Fighters)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

Has anyone worked off of the Ender's Game universe? The whole idea of ships exploding when the mothership explodes would work well with the Ender's Game universe.

And at least he got parenting right. You guys are always so quick to jump on the bad stuff; you never compliment on things done correctly.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

If I recall correctly (and I assume I do):
In Ender's Game, the flagship was almost indistinguishable from the rest of the fleet to hide its location. When the ship (and therefore the queen inside it) is gone, the Buggers' Collective is gone, and so all the drones basically went into comas. The ships were boarded and the Buggers were found alive but nonfunctional, ships still intact.
Good theory but not quite.
Now if sections broke off in groups it would be very possible.
What I mean is:
Part A is in a cluster with parts B, C, D, E,and F. B through F are parented to A, and A is parented to part X, which is parented to the core. So if X is destroyed, Parts A through F are still connected as there were originally, but they float off still attached.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Killer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Killer »

To correct myself, it would work best with Ender's Game. Maybe not quite perfectly, but yeah. Also, in the beginning I believe that the mothership was indeed distinguishable, but the formics quickly rectified that after Mazer Rackham killed the hive queen. Again, it's been a while since I've read the original Ender's Game, so I may be mistaken. Also, having ships floating uselessly in space is a pointless waste of processing, actually, scratch that, it'd make for useful cover. [/end rant]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Slayer0019 wrote: Part A is in a cluster with parts B, C, D, E,and F. B through F are parented to A, and A is parented to part X, which is parented to the core. So if X is destroyed, Parts A through F are still connected as there were originally, but they float off still attached.
Would work well for his battlestar idea if anything... You destroy the port hanger, and all the fighters dependent on that hanger for fuel and ammunition and reinforcements are essentially lost. Not perfect, but a decent simulation within bsf's capabilities, if your going in the fleet spawning direction.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Arcalane wrote:Critical fail on reading roll.
I'm stealing this.

But yeah, your fighter(s) are ugly and weapon spammy. Fighters really should only have one main weapons and maybe a few other things.. They don't really look like fighters, they look like blah except with less class.

@Ender's Game. Yeah, Mazer Rackham saved humanity by picking the ship at the center of the giant sphere of obvious the buggers used as a formation.

@BSG. As someone who has actually bothered making scale models of each major BSG Reimagined ship, static fighters around the galactica look stupid. Using small low weapon models makes for epic fights though.
Don’t worry it has airbags.