Fleet Formation (Fighters)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Tragedy Gnome
Ensign
Ensign

Fleet Formation (Fighters)

Post by Tragedy Gnome »

I don't know if anyone has ever created a fleet formation, but it's basically a grouping of small fighter like ships and packs a HELL of a punch.

(Just click on the picture for a larger pic.)
Lee is the fifth, Leoben is Starbuck's dad, and Earth nuked itself to death. 'Nuff said.
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

Ummmmmm...
Bloody duh?

Well, this is a forum of ship making so:

Your ships are made up of... a section with weapon spam. Epic. Really.

:arrow:

*Edit: yes, I know there's a somewhat poorly ship in the middle... it's just clobbered by its 'wank weapons' as you guys might put it :P*
Last edited by thacannon on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Give the guy a break...

The middle ship is a multipiece aegis whore :|.
thacannon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thacannon »

Actually --- where is the Aegis deflectors???

I've been looking at this unknown ship and I can't pinpoint the location of the Aegis. :oops:

*BTW: lose some of the point defenses, I count ten. :roll: *
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

I think something worse is going on here... Could it be that these ships are, in fact, just ONE .shp made to look like a fleet? Because somehow this picture gives m exactly that impression...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

...jeez, Kano. Critical fail on reading roll. He kinda says there that it's a single 'ship' that looks like several. Image

It's been done before. Most executions have been poor. So has this.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Tragedy Gnome
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tragedy Gnome »

You're right, it is one ship, with floating sections connected to the main ship. I know it is a multi-aegis whore, but this is my God-formation. I should make more vulnerable formations with less weapons :P

Edit: Also, if a "fighter" is destroyed, so too are it's weapons, so it is vulnerable there.
Last edited by Tragedy Gnome on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee is the fifth, Leoben is Starbuck's dad, and Earth nuked itself to death. 'Nuff said.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

First off, there are way too many weapons...
Try limmiting the amount of weapons you use.
Last, the "smaller Ships" surrounding the larger one in the mid are pretty much just one section with a bunch of weapons on it. If your gona make a ship try putting more than one section :roll:
Tragedy Gnome
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tragedy Gnome »

This is more of a prototype one. I'm working on a better one with a possible battlestar in the middle and vipers surrounding it.
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Yes Arca, but I kinda fail to see why anyone would do that on purpose... I cannot grasp such ******, to be frank... You blast the central ship and every little ship spontaneously combusts? I don't see any advantage there... So suggestion to Gnome: start by lessening weapon spam, and make single ships, and go to the option at the bottom of the ship statistics menu... There should be somehing about Formation... The higher the number, the further back the ships stay... Toy with that, and I'm sure you'll earn more respect than by doing this, erm, thing...
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

OK, heres the breakdown.
1: What fighter is more heavily armed than most destroyers? So many blasters flying is just ugly.
2: Are those single-section "fighters"? at least be creative.
3: Central ship is ugly. And Aegis-spammy. stating that weapons are lost with their fighters does not equal balance. That is just an extrapolated version of how loss of sections works on normal ships.
4: If you are going to do this, at least give a semi-plausible backstory. I actually intend on trying to make one of these style ships with the intention of making it at least half decent. Lets see, explanation for central ship takin the rest... Bingo, the central ship has an advanced AI chip, serves as wing leader and issues commands to other ships in wing, the other ships self-destruct on loss of wing leader to prevent capture by enemy.
Try again.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
duestchland1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by duestchland1 »

I personally think that this could be used to create some interesting screenshots of massive battles. although the practical limitations are severe as you have a total lack of manuvering.

(also he is right, blasters perhaps were not the best choice for A weapon. I suggest modified mini blaster things. But hey, it is your choice.) :wink:
Kurusunami
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kurusunami »

This gives me interesting ideas with form rank and such, could create a highly specialized fleet with specialized jobs, like Point defense (Hey, it's a navy! Aegis class!) followed by beamer-like weapons or shock weapons then followed by projectile spam weapons mixed with damaging projectiles, with railguns/modules/drone ships bringing up the rear. And all of them would be fighters. Fun.
"The more one seeks perfection, the easier it is to lose oneself in useless thoughts. This sort of person would find it hard to succeed, let alone have an opportunity to fail." -Rokujou Miharu

Take Miharu's advice. You'll thank me for it later.
Pyront
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyront »

I like the middle ships many beamers (but its probably just me) but theres to much spam, also arming the fighters with nanomatrixes is not a good idea for balance.
Kurusunami
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kurusunami »

Let's face it, this is rather ugly. You should try with a more functional thing, with a specialized use, or equip it in a way that makes its formation useful, like shot dodging, barrier, etc.
"The more one seeks perfection, the easier it is to lose oneself in useless thoughts. This sort of person would find it hard to succeed, let alone have an opportunity to fail." -Rokujou Miharu

Take Miharu's advice. You'll thank me for it later.