Bad Boy's New Ships: Now With Two SWA Style Fleets

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Kaelis wrote:Very good ships all around, quite original and well built
Thanks.
Kaelis wrote:May i request proper screenshots for the newest ones?
Assuming you mean the green ones, sorry about that, I didn't realise how small the pics were until I posted them. I'll get bigger shots soon. On that note, do you plan to implement a screenshot method for in game that's similar to the one for shipmaker?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Pics have been fixed (i.e. made larger), and, new ship. A steampunk one, I had a lot of fun making it, and it gave me a new appreciation for Kae's steampunk set. DL if anyone wants it, but the only animation you can't see is that the front gears act like they're being wound up, they rotate in one direction slowly 180, they rotate in the other quickly and so on.

On a related note, I don't know why, but section fading (effect) doesn't work in game for me.

C&C welcome.

Thanks to Kae's wonderful steampunk sections, I bring you my first and probably not last steampunk ship. Note that the glowy things near the front are supposed to be hammers or something of the sort.
Last edited by Bad Boy on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

@ RandomCurvyShip
Lovely curves indeed. Worth continuing, i think. Can i get a proper (default zoom :P ) screenshot, please?

@ Staimosia
Im not a fan of color scheme, but i do like how it looks as if its very ornate despite being green. I can also easily imagine Necrons flying that (regardless of their 'official' tombships), even the weapons fit. Again, proper screenie would be appreciated.

@ Steampunk contraption:
Niiiice. Loving the shading and colorwork in general, great sense of depth. Glowing gears in the middle are over the top, though.

Question: How did you do those glowing green rods?

It also made me spot a proble with mirrored sections in regards to rotation - it looks like they do not rotate around their origin, or rather - the origin gets shifted.

Section fading not working is a bug.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Kaelis wrote:@ RandomCurvyShip
Lovely curves indeed. Worth continuing, i think. Can i get a proper (default zoom :P ) screenshot, please?
Thanks, I may run with it, but I don't really like building curvy ships that are simply curvy, they seem too easy.
Kaelis wrote:@ Steampunk contraption:
Niiiice. Loving the shading and colorwork in general, great sense of depth. Glowing gears in the middle are over the top, though.

Question: How did you do those glowing green rods?

It also made me spot a proble with mirrored sections in regards to rotation - it looks like they do not rotate around their origin, or rather - the origin gets shifted.
Thanks, this one involved a lot of fiddling with triggers and rotation values to get things to somewhat synch up, so I'm glad it worked out well.
The glowing gears were a last minute addition, that were originally white and very light grey, which I may change them back to. I put them there mainly to cover up the really detailed sections.
The glowy rods, the glowy hammer head and the drill bit things are all thrusterex sprites (the hammer head and rods are fake aegised). They work surprisingly well as sections.
Kaelis wrote:Section fading not working is a bug.
Ah I thought so.

As always, C&C welcome.
Alexor
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Alexor »

Bad Boy wrote:The glowy rods, the glowy hammer head and the drill bit things are all thrusterex sprites (the hammer head and rods are fake aegised). They work surprisingly well as sections.
You know you've done well when one of the guys in charge of making the game has to ask what you did to figure out your cool glowy sections. =P
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

can u upload your ships? i think that they're great!(maybe it's that my ships suck)
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

New ship, another steampunky one.
I actually finished (as in the hull and movement is done, but it's barely armed, and it'll stay that way unless someone wants a download, in which case I'll arm it) this a few days ago, but, as seen in the bug reports thread, I had a problem with ship gifs (I would love an answer to that if there is one). However, I finally got it to work, so here it is (here being the first post).

Another steampunk, this time with a bunch of non steampunk sections. This one was partly made to try to fit steampunk and non-steampunk sections together, and I think it worked out pretty well. The other reason for its creation was that I love the steampunk sections and everything you can do with them.
Last edited by Bad Boy on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomBringer
Commander
Commander

Post by DoomBringer »

WTF Torpedo spam is a no no

If the files are too big change to png format it also fixes the blur

Nice ships anyway but too blocky and stubby for my liking
Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

If you're going to put everything into one post/page, you should really make them thumbnails/links, at least the gifs. Theyre extremely large and it takes a few minutes to load.

@ New ship:
I like. And thats pretty much how i intended steampunk sections to be used - not as standalone, but with conjunction with other, normal sections.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Those two steampunk ships are the best use of the sections and features I've seen yet. Well done!
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Exethalion wrote:Those two steampunk ships are the best use of the sections and features I've seen yet. Well done!
Indeed. I have to say that the new one I like more, but the other is just as good. :)
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Thanks everyone for the very positive C&C. I take it that I should make more steampunk ships?

@Exe, TBE, Kae, and everyone else who complimented the ships: Thank you very much, I'm glad the time I put into them paid off. As per request, I'll upload them once I arm the two steampunk ones properly.

@Kae: I guess I should, I hate having too open thumbnails rather then have the images there, but I suppose it's necessary here. I suppose the best thing to do would be to put a still shot and link to a gif.

@DoomBringer: I have to disagree with you about torpedo spam, in my opinion, it's great. The pics are all png, except for the gifs. I'm assuming the one that's too blocky and stubby for you is the Staimosia, which is I suppose fair enough, it is stub nosed and fairly rectangular.

More ships to come soonish.
blackrider123
Commander
Commander

Post by blackrider123 »

whats that leviathan-like ship in the missile spam photo?
'Why so serious?' [b]-The Insane Asylum[/b]
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

New steampunk ship, my biggest yet, but a lot smaller then I had wanted it to be, only 350 or so parts, I guess I no longer have patience left to build 2000 part ships. C&C welcome.

Sorry about this, but I've left it for a couple days now, and I'd like some C&C before I keep working on the ship.

Brand New Steampunk, my biggest yet. I've been working on and off (but mainly off) on it for weeks, and just finished it. This is far from the final product, I have to add weapons, make the hull (especially the back, which was something of a rush job) look better, fix triggers and add more moving bits. That being said, I want to see what people think of it, and what should be changed. I'll put up a gif and a download when I'm finished it.
Note, the first shot is with its missile bays in, the other is with them out. They are of course going to be triggered, I also plan to make them look decent by the final version, as it is now, they're basically place holders.
Last edited by Bad Boy on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

alright.
Personally, I love the gradient effect that you used on the ship. Think it looks good.
Odd color scheme, but I believe it works well.
With that said, the missile pods DEFINITELY need work (like you said)
As well, certain parts of the ship look a bit too... fragile.
I would really recommend expanding it, just filling out the body a bit more (especially the rear area, around the gradient circle, and the middle)
besides that, though, I really like this ship.