Xor Fleet: Version 3.5 (Dreadnought added)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Xor Fleet: Version 3.5 (Dreadnought added)

Post by the mulletron »

Hello one and all, The Mulletron here. After numerous hours of making, editing and re-designing, I've finally decided to upload the fruits of my labour on Shipbuilder.

DOWNLOAD

New update. I called it v3.5 since I've only modified half of the fleet, but I have included the new Xor Dreadnought, which holds my best example of weapon modification to date, and this release showcases my first use of my own sprites on a ship. I have also been experimenting with the ThrusterEX module, the results of which can be seen on the destroyer.

I haven't quite finished yet. I still need to do some more sprites for use on the other three ships, and I have a few more things in store, ship-wise. Regardless, here are the new screenshots.

Xor Gunship

Xor Destroyer
Note: I have experimented with using modified ThrusterEX modules. It should make the green aegis'd sections glow when it's moving. Tell me what you think of it.

Xor Cruiser
Note: Still doesn't work. I'll probably wait until a new patch is released for BSF before I'll resume work on this ship.

Xor Carrier

Xor Battleship

Xor Dreadnought
Note: This ship includes a weapon which utilizes weapon layering to make a unique beam effect. Again, give me your thoughts on this.

If you download my ships, please leave a comment or criticism (and if you do hate my work please tell me why. I can't improve my work unless you tell me where I went wrong.)
Last edited by the mulletron on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Haza for asymmetry! Not sure I like some of the stuff you did, its kinda random in places. On the other hand, once you get used to which sections look good together I think you could design some sweet ships!
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

jwa8402 wrote:Huzzah for asymmetry! Not sure I like some of the stuff you did, its kinda random in places. On the other hand, once you get used to which sections look good together I think you could design some sweet ships!
Actually, the last ship was completely symmetrical.

I think they look pretty good, except for the randomness.
LordGarcia
Captain
Captain

Post by LordGarcia »

Hey welcome to the forums!
Nice idea you got there althought the execution is a bit funky. I'd request a bit more colors for them.
Himura.Kenshin said: What kind of pure, absolute [i]retard[/i] would run a bomb by Windows?
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

Magick wrote:
Look again, It wasn't mirrored, instead, he put the same pieces on both sides, they are facing opposet directions.
Magick wrote:I think they look pretty good, except for the randomness.
The randomness isn't nesisarily a bad thing, It gives each ship a personality. Overall, good work, your "labor" has payed off. I'd like too see what you can do with bogger hulls.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

LordGarcia wrote:Nice idea you got there althought the execution is a bit funky.
Glad you like the concept. And yeah, the ships will look a little weird whilst I get to grips with the editor.
LordGarcia wrote:I'd request a bit more colors for them.
Could you be a bit more specific? I was aiming for metallic colours when I was choosing a colour scheme. There are various shades of gray in there. Perhaps they need more contrast?
IBurn36360 wrote:The randomness isn't nesisarily a bad thing, It gives each ship a personality. Overall, good work, your "labor" has payed off. I'd like too see what you can do with bogger hulls.
Indeed, the "randomness" is the overall style of the fleet. As for the bigger hulls, I generally dislike most of the screen fillers that are circulating this forum. Battleships Forever was meant to be played on a small scale IMO. But, I do plan on creating a "Dreadnought" class ship, (which is larger than the Battleship,) but I'm not planning on making this until I've re-designed a few of the existing ships.
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

IBurn36360 wrote:
Magick wrote:
Look again, It wasn't mirrored, instead, he put the same pieces on both sides, they are facing opposet directions.
I didn't say he mirrored them. :?
I know exactly how to do that. I just said that the ship was completely symmetrical, not mirrored. There is a difference.
LordGarcia
Captain
Captain

Post by LordGarcia »

the mulletron wrote:
LordGarcia wrote:I'd request a bit more colors for them.
Could you be a bit more specific? I was aiming for metallic colours when I was choosing a colour scheme. There are various shades of gray in there. Perhaps they need more contrast?
well yes. The differences in the shading are a bit too subtle. maybe you could really increase the contrast and aditionally let some sections at every ship to default for the team colors.
Himura.Kenshin said: What kind of pure, absolute [i]retard[/i] would run a bomb by Windows?
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

LordGarcia wrote:well yes. The differences in the shading are a bit too subtle. maybe you could really increase the contrast and aditionally let some sections at every ship to default for the team colors.
Understood. I'll work that suggestion into my next release. And maybe I'll leave the core section as the default colour (seeing as it always reverts to the default colour every time I load it! :evil: ).
Warrior of Anarchy
Commander
Commander

Post by Warrior of Anarchy »

your ships look like half completed puzzles
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I felt this update should be posted here instead of creating a new thread for the same fleet.

I've resumed building this fleet following the recent update to the shipmaker. To tell you the truth, I gave up on shipbuilding altogether, since the previous editor, although good, was quite limited in what it could do. But on seeing the release of version 0.9a, I decided to pick up where I left off to see what has changed (needless to say I was pleasantly surprised :) ).

First off, I must say that creating a greebled effect is MUCH easier when you have a larger (not to mention better) selection of parts to choose from, and my ship designs benefited greatly from the new sections. At the moment, I've only redesigned 2 of the 5 ships in this fleet, so only screenshots I'm afraid. I'll re-edit my first post with a link and new pictures once I've finished.

Xor Battleship
IMO a massive improvement over my previous design, but still needs some work. I gave up the massive block of metal in favour of a more spacious design, with beams and girders crisscrossing the inside of the superstructure.

Xor Cruiser
My first real attempt at making a ship with moving parts. The idea was that it would open up when the ship acquires an enemy target, but I can't figure out how to do it, and, as of yet, haven't found a solution on the forums. If anyone could tell me how, or re-direct me to a relevant thread that would be great.

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

I don't have much to say about the battleship, except that it needs more weapons. The second one looks like a heavily modified Hestia, for that, i give you a cookie. Try looking in the Shipmaking Guides forum.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

The sense of depth and general greebling is very good. But they don't look like... anything, you know? Could be a decent start for a station or some massive structure, but right now, at a first glance, those do not seem to represent anything. And they definitely do not look like ships to me.
Elias_The_Crimson
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Elias_The_Crimson »

Heh, the asymmetry looks interesting to say the least. The feeling of depth is there, even if the colors are limited to shades of gray.
Personally I've never been a fan of asymmetry to begin with so it's hard for me to comment on that (design looks very "random" to me ;)). I do however think that the metallic colors don't look too shabby but you should definitely experiment with breaking that scheme in "special cases", where a hull part may stand out vastly from the rest, for instance.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Im gonna have to agree with kaelis. As space stations, your cruiser and battleship look good. But as ships.... uh...I don't know really quite how to describe them. :?
All I can really say is that the cruiser looks alot better when all the parts are retracted, and I really like how the battleship is built. In closing, they are well built, and I like what you are trying to do, but you need to work on making them look like ships.