Panzerschreck's random ships and minifleets

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

Don't listen to Firestorm all the time.

That's good. Now, with the previous version:

Make it longer, and what weapons are on it?
Grath
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Grath »

For the one with the sidepods...
Don't outline the whole ship like that. Make an outline between the sidepod and the strut and the main ship and the strut. Unless they're all a single piece.
(By 'all a single piece' I mean how the ship is supposed to be built, not the pieces used in SM to build it)
The Panzerschreck
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by The Panzerschreck »

i like the PZF100 as it is, i won't change the hull anymore.. and im gonna revise the 60 soon :P

and grath, could you please explain that? cause i don't understand a single thing of what you meen!
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81186#81186][img]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9421/pzschmq6.png[/img][/url]
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:yes, that's much better. still a little bit short IMO.
:?

He didn't specify a class for his idea. Shut up.

Either way, it's a really solid ship. What class is it? It's probably a corvette.
The Panzerschreck
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

i havnt assigned classes yet.. i think it will actually be a cruiser (60 destroyer and 30 corvette)
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81186#81186][img]http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9421/pzschmq6.png[/img][/url]
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Okay, I'm gonna explain this very, very slowly, since it seems you may need it.

The outlining technique is used for a specific purpose. It is not to be used all willy-nilly. Just creating a flat shape and outlining it in a bright colour is flat out wrong. That is not how the technique is meant to be used at all. It can be used to add layers of depth, or to group several sections together to look more like one merged section. It should never ever, evereverever be used in the way you used it here.

Compare, your ship:

To these two ships, which use outlining in slightly different, but equally valid ways:

So, I repeat, outlining is NOT meant to be used all willy-nilly, nor is it meant to simply trace around the shape of your ship. Such a usage is lazy, and more over, the results are flat, plain and lifeless. Instead of just assuming that "outlining any old way automatically = good", try experimenting with patches of colours, attempts to add depth and internal structure and detail to your ships, etcetera.

Don't take the lazy way out. :?

EDIT:
Even more simplified version, for the sake of clarity: Don't outline for outlining's sake, outline for the sake of making the ship look good. If it can be done without lining, it will probably look better that way. Outlining is best used sparingly, or to make something specifically stand out in a certain way. Most importantly of all, don't use it if you don't know what the fuck you are doing.

This message was brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood Anna.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Magick wrote:
FIREST0RM000 wrote:yes, that's much better. still a little bit short IMO.
:?

He didn't specify a class for his idea. Shut up.

Either way, it's a really solid ship. What class is it? It's probably a corvette.
I believe he was referring to the side pods which is what panzer asked for advice on... Not sure wtf your talking about or how you think thats a corvette when the other two are much smaller. :roll:
Shogoll
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shogoll »

Anna wrote:Okay, I'm gonna explain this very, very slowly, since it seems you may need it.

The outlining technique is used for a specific purpose. It is not to be used all willy-nilly. Just creating a flat shape and outlining it in a bright colour is flat out wrong. That is not how the technique is meant to be used at all. It can be used to add layers of depth, or to group several sections together to look more like one merged section. It should never ever, evereverever be used in the way you used it here.

Compare, your ship:

To these two ships, which use outlining in slightly different, but equally valid ways:

So, I repeat, outlining is NOT meant to be used all willy-nilly, nor is it meant to simply trace around the shape of your ship. Such a usage is lazy, and more over, the results are flat, plain and lifeless. Instead of just assuming that "outlining any old way automatically = good", try experimenting with patches of colours, attempts to add depth and internal structure and detail to your ships, etcetera.

Don't take the lazy way out. :?

EDIT:
Even more simplified version, for the sake of clarity: Don't outline for outlining's sake, outline for the sake of making the ship look good. If it can be done without lining, it will probably look better that way. Outlining is best used sparingly, or to make something specifically stand out in a certain way. Most importantly of all, don't use it if you don't know what the fuck you are doing.

This message was brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood Anna.
Anna is correct here, you're running into "MC Syndrome".
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Shogoll wrote:Anna is correct here, you're running into "MC Syndrome".
I shall clarify this. Please do not follow my shipbuilding style of using overly-dark sections outlined in a horrendous light yellow. Now that I look back on that it looks fucking horrendous. As Anna has already said, don't outline just because you think outlining looks cool on your ship. There is a purpose of doing outlining. Find that purpose, think about it and see whether your current creation requires it. There already have been many quality ships which use outlining sparingly or don't even use it at all. See AD's MRA ships for example. No outlining, IIRC, and they still turned out great.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
The Panzerschreck
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ok.. i understand what you meen now... you are quite right -> lessons learned :? (i think :P)
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Master Chief wrote:See AD's MRA ships for example. No outlining, IIRC, and they still turned out great.
Not just AD. I didn't use outlining either. :roll:
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Lizzie wrote:
Master Chief wrote:See AD's MRA ships for example. No outlining, IIRC, and they still turned out great.
Since when did IVL ships need ablatives?
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Master Chief wrote:
Lizzie wrote:
Since when did IVL ships need ablatives?
Since Aralonia suggested it and Ablatives are not a form of outlining. Dumbass.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Anna wrote:Don't outline for outlining's sake, outline for the sake of making the ship look good.
Truthier words have seldom been spoken.
Don’t worry it has airbags.